scdiver89

How much could you improve over a one year period?

It depends how much time you fly. I know people who have gone from complete beginners to the upper levels of freeflying in one year by doing 100+ hours. That's a pretty big difference from 24 hours though (2 hours a month.)

How much time and coaching can you afford? How well do you listen and learn?
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

dependent upon how fast of a learner you are it will make a huge difference.
I have seen footage of some people who after 7-10 hours are flying insanely well. Others not quite as well but none the less much improved on where they were previous.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

sharing time is how, members can pool time so my buddies and I end up with about 2.5 hours a week.
Or thirty min. if I go by myself.

But I am by no means a natural, I just want to be able to Freefly with pretty much anyone and not be the weakest link on the jump.

Lots of people
They figure out ways to get cheap tunnel time.
Like sharing the time.

Not only sharing time, but also buying in bulk (either individually or in a group). Buying large blocks of time can bring the hourly rate way down (depending on the tunnel).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I flew a minimum of 2 hours a month for a year. When I started (about 3 tunnel hours total) I was doing back fly to sit fly transitions and basic sit-flying, when I ended I was a self supervised head down flier working on carving, advanced transitions, and basic 4-way VFS. I did about 30 hours that year.

Side note - I'm 6'1" and 220lbs... all the little fuckers seemed to have progressed quicker than I did

A lot of my progression can be attributed directly to the kick ass instructors at Paraclete (shameless plug for all those guys).
There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day and try it.
-- Douglas Adams