Vallerina

Chicago area tunnel? (I told you all Indiana doesn't suck)

I'm trying not to get too excited since it probably won't happen, but I am so freaking thrilled to see the possibility of a tunnel going up actually hitting a newspaper:
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/lake/5851799-418/indoor-skydiving-go-carts-proposed-in-hobart.html

EDIT: I would like to add that I will not ditch SVCO and the awesome coaches there for this tunnel. It will only enhance my flying while in Denver. ;)
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Standard rule for proposed tunnels (even those that are "approved"): if you don't see workers on-site pouring the concrete for the foundation, don't hold your breath. Hope, dream, wish; but don't hold your breath.

Not a buzz-kill; just being realistic. Even past the approval/permits stage, it's all about getting and keeping all the investors and their money in line; and that's herding cats.

An update - The Plan Commission is holding a meeting in regards to this on Thursday, July 14 at 7 pm. The address is 414 Main St., Hobart, IN.

More info (stolen from the facebook event) below:

While I hesitate to get too excited about a wind tunnel near Chicago, Air Adventure has proposed plan changes to Silverstone Crossing in Hobart, IN (about an hour away from downtown) to include a wind tunnel and become an entertainment complex. The Plan Commission has concerns about amendments to the original plans and the overall look of the structure, and they are holding a public hearing on Thursday, July 14th at 7 pm (I was informed this date may change, and I will keep everyone posted as such.)

With the weight the public opinion holds at these hearings, this would be a great time for the skydiving community and our friends/family to show our support. I've posted additional information (including an excerpt from an email with one of the petitioners) below, and if anyone would like the formal request for support, please let me know, and I will email that along to you.

I hope you all can make it!

We can use as much support as we can get in this matter. Showing support from the community and a desire by the community to participate in the indoor skydiving activities would be a great advantage. Fill the room if you can. You will have the opportunity to express your opinion publicly and to state why you feel this business would be good for the community.

I attached a formal letter requesting a letter of support from your group, organization, or individuals. Please send the letter(s) by email or fax. Your letter(s) of support in addition to your presence at the public meeting would be an important advantage to us in receiving the approvals that will allow us to provide the indoor skydiving facility and services to the community. The following link will take you to a project page where you can view a video regarding the project, see the project presentation, fact sheet and other documents that will familiarize you with the Air Adventure project.

Link to project page: http://metronomicinc.com/airadventure.html

News article:
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/lake/5851799-418/indoor-skydiving-go-carts-proposed-in-hobart.html

There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I'm not getting excited about another bottom-blower tunnel. I walked past one in Niagara a few weeks ago and didn't even go in.

In fact, I'd rather there NOT be a crappy wind tunnel nearby, as this will just hurt the business case of the real wind tunnel that Chicago has long needed.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Ditto to Andy's comments. From the proposal, this would be an entertainment "skydiving simulator", with small diameter air column, slow speed, turbulent air at the edges. Not even close to what one of the AirVenture style tunnels give you. Might be good for basic learning belly stuff, but not much else.