rendezvous

Astra AAD

An 8 way team all have an AAD save?!? Was this a first jump team or what?!? That's pretty hard to believe.
Bottom line is ALTITUDE AWARENESS
I have an Astra and am confident that if I ever get knocked out in FF it will save my ass. However, that is the only situation (incapicated) that I want to rely on ANY AAD.
Don't rely on ANY AAD to save your life.

An Astra operates just like a cyrpess does. It cost less, the batteries cost less, and it does not have to be sent back to the factory every four years. Your rigger can check calibration on every reserve repack. Why would anyone say a Cypress is better? I have a cypress and my next AAD will be an Astra.

The biggest problem with the Astra AAD IMO is that the power has to be cycled off and on between every jump. There's always a possibility you will either a) Leave it on at the end of the day and have to replace the batteries (which for me was $95 for the batteries, plus the reserve repack required to get to them) or b) you forget to turn it back on again. I had an Astra for nearly a year, and although I did pretty good, I would on occasion forget to turn it on before a jump. I like having a Cypres and not having to worry with that extra hassle. After all, an AAD doesn't do you much good if you forget to turn it on.

I agree with Grogs you do have to remember to turn the Astra on and off. But of course if you do a proper gear check like you should before each jump turning it on should not be a problem. I don't know why your batteries cost so much FXC sells them for $45 and so does para gear.
As for fitting in the container the Astra is actually a little smaller then the Cypress.
As for code who cares? It senses speed, and altitude and if the right conditions are met it fires a cutter and cuts the reserve closing loop just like a cypress does.
It could be turned off in the plane, but not if you use the same care that you do to ensure your reserve rip cord isn't pulled in the plane. Or your pilot chute doesn't come out of your BOC. You do need to be aware.
The cypress is a turn on and forget it piece of equipment, and thats a nice feature. However the Astra's operating cost is much less. Thats also a nice feature.
We get in fad's in this sport and the fad is cypress because no one know's you have an AAD on.
So if you want a turn on and forget it AAD and are willing to pay the extra cost for that feature the Cypress is the way to go.
If you would like to save a little money and don't mind turning your AAD on and off, {and have it show} then the Astra is the way to go.
Either way they are both good products and either will do the job.
Like I said I own a cypress and my next one will be an Astra

I once forgot to turn my ASTRA off and yep, the battery went dead. Good news was it was time for a reserve repack when that happened! So, now, after every jump when I take my goggles, helment off and loosen my leg straps, I also turn off the AAD. It was also 45 bucks for the new battery. And as for this unit being accidentally turned off on the ride up, don't think so, it's kinda hard to turn on and off intentionally sometimes :)

The original FXC model 12,000 was not designed by FXC, as FXC bought out the company that designed it.
I believe the company was called "High Tech Corp."
As far as the Astra, I can't imagine anyone in that company (FXC) that would have the electronics/mechanical education to design such a unit, which leads me believe that the design of this unit was done by another company, and is also being built again by another company for FXC. Until proven otherwise, this is what I believe.
Can the same be said about a Cypres?
Skies,
Dave Brownell
DB Tech

I don't consider myself a big fan of the X-Files, but if it happens to be on, I will "monitor" it.
As far as my stand on the universe--the universe had no beginning, therefore, it could not have an end.
There's no question in my mind that intelligent life is very common throughout the universe.
What I believe, not to be "very common" is their capability for interstellar travel in a "reasonable" time frame.
(reasonable is, of course, relative--(like my article at-->
http://www.dzsports.net/news4.html
Dave Brownell
Mesa, AZ

who cares about code??? I do, that's the stuff that says fire the cutter or not. It's the brains of the system. The CYPRES unit, IMO has the better code from what I've researched, good thing the USofA is a free country and we can choose to wear what we want.