Dashtrash

Under armour for tunnel flying

Hi Guys

I'm heading to Skyventure AZ in a few weeks for some extended time in the tunnel. I've read in a few places that under armour is a good idea to stop your suit chafing but I'm not really sure what to buy?

Are thermal base layers that people use for mountain sports okay? What about rash vests that people use for surfing?

Be grateful for any advice

Cheers

DT

I would recommend the thermal layers/Under Armour because it's probably going to be cold! I was there in early March once and we flew early in the morning, was so cold I could hardly move! That was my experience, hopefully some AZ people can chime in.
Brad Hess
Manager
Vegas Indoor Skydiving

I've only flown in the tunnel in Colorado, but found that anything that was tight orevented me from getting what felt a lot like razor burn from the suit. The first week I wore a t-shirt and sweats and my forearms and lower legs were pretty red the next day. After that I wore a long-sleeved fitted hiking/yoga top each time and put on spandex under my sweats and was all good. I'd also, recommend heavy lotion on your face/neck. And if you happen to have long hair, get a balaclava or else you'll be dealing with some serious tangles even if you put it back.

In reading the responses it soudns more like a suit "fit" problem to me.

Ido not have as many hours in a tunnel as some (Les than 100 but well over 50) and have never had a "rash".

I have always worn my suits and all have been fitted for me. I ahve worn under armor style clothing under them but only in the cooler temps.

Dress for the Temps is my advice, if your suit fits well.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

When flying at freefly speeds in wind tunnels, I prefer wearing under armour to prevent rashes. In warm weather (or a recirculator) I wear either the Heat Gear Long Sleeve or the Heat Gear T.

For cold weather in an open air tunnel (AZ, Orlando) I wear the Cold Gear.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with under armour and I have 1000+ hours of tunnel time so I may not know what I am talking about.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

great idea to buy some under armour (or similar brands) takes sweat away from body, stops rash, keeps you warm (or cool is you buy warm gear), like the guy before me said heat gear for warm temps and cold weather gear for the cold. long sleeve top and leggings. I prefer 'crew' neck instead of the 'mock' as it doesnt have a collar that sticks out so you can wear under other clothes.

One of the nice things about Under Armour (and similar brands) is that they add warmth without adding a lot of bulk. To go under a custom fit jumpsuit, that can be a helpful trait.

I have a hoodie from Sugoi that I love for tunnel flying (or cold weather jumping) as it helps keep my neck and head warm and also keeps my hair under control (which may or may not be an issue depending on the length of your hair, but it is for me with shoulder-length hair). Plus it kinda makes me look like a speed skater. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

In reading the responses it soudns more like a suit "fit" problem to me.

Ido not have as many hours in a tunnel as some (Les than 100 but well over 50) and have never had a "rash".

I have always worn my suits and all have been fitted for me. I ahve worn under armor style clothing under them but only in the cooler temps.

Dress for the Temps is my advice, if your suit fits well.

Matt

Agreed. I'm a newbie, so was using their suits not my own.

Instead of trying to anticipate a single outfit for your use, just take a range of clothes along with you for your training camp.

Comfort and body chafing - I always have shorts, tanks, t's, long sleeve t's, running tights, and a few more warmer options. Temp changes throughout a day, let alone a few days. And coverage does have dual purpose. A small sports duffel holds it all and you can change as needed during the day.

Long hair - have a way to contain it.

Back of the neck can really get chaffed from the helmet skits and suit collars (especially for RW). A soft shirt with a turtleneck you can unfold up is nice, or take a headband and wear it around the neck - I did that last camp and it worked fine. Also, keeping the neck cleanly shaved is a huge help.

Chapstick, water, lotion, carbs, fruit, trailmix.

It's all a complete package for a long camp and lots of hours - for any discipline of training.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Will you be Freeflying?

I have bought a set of Skins (sports recovery tights). Aswell as preventing chaff they also apparently assist in muscle recovery and keep you warm. They are expensive though. No experience with them yet will know by march!

I'm learning to freefly at Az from March 5th till April 1st might see you there?