KevinP

Went to Skyventure AZ

Hi all,

Being that I'm temporarily stationed in Arizona, I took the time today to go up to Eloy to Skyventure. It was very cool. I got there early with the intent of watching some of the skydiving, but when I went to the front desk, she rushed me right upstairs. The staff was very pleasant and professional and I had a good time. I did the 2-minute deal, but after Christmas, I'm going to go back for the 4-minute. I was pretty excited by the fact that I wasn't all over the place. I don't know how much the flight instructor was helping, if at all. I didn't really feel a lot of contact. And one of them gave me a nod when I asked him how I did during the first iteration.

It's encouraging. The biggest thing I was concerned with regarding the AFF class was being able to control myself in the air. If today is an indication, it won't be as bad as I thought it might. Unless, of course, a 30lb rig throws all of that off. :)
Thumbs-up to Skyventure AZ!
Sincerely,
Kevin

While I'm sure that would be a real benefit to my future skydiving aspirations, it is cost prohibitive. That's half the AFF class. Plus, getting up there to use that entire hour (unless I did it all in a weekend) would be a challenge. The school I am in isn't a typical school. Weekends are optional.

Thanks for the input though.
Sincerely,
Kevin

Beer is also a costly part of this sport.

First time in tunnel = beer. Please advise when you will next be out at Eloy so that I can collect. ;)

Congrats on the first tunnel experience. Hopefully, you are looking at doing your AFF at SDAZ. To my understanding the tunnel is part of the AFF training at SDAZ and it's an invaluable learning tool.

I agree with your sentiments about cost. Save the money and get your A license first. You have the rest of your skydiving career to become a better flyer and at SDAZ you have some of the best tools and instructors available to make you one.

Congrats....You owe beer!!! :D:ph34r::D:ph34r::D

Me and my big, um, keyboard. :)
My understanding of the beer rules is that if a participant does not make a habit of drinking said beverage, then a non-alcoholic substitute is authorized. I may be bringing a case of Mt. Dew. :D However, I do have a 6-pack of Guinness Extra Stout in the fridge. It'll take me MONTHS to finish it at a beer every four or five weeks, but why should the rest of the community suffer from my non-drinking choices, right? I'll be there after the first of the year. I'll let you know and I'll bring a case of some kind of swill.

I'm only here until April, and in a pretty time-intensive school, so I'm going to have to wait until I get to my next duty station to get the AFF course done. It would be awesome to do it at SDAZ, but logistically, it just can't happen. I am going to do the tunnel again, though, as I mentioned, and I might do my second tandem before I leave AZ, too, as time permits.

I will PM you when I head that way next time AND put it up here, in case you can't handle an entire case of "payment."
Sincerely,
Kevin

Since there is the bent prop at SDAZ you never see beer rules enforced...which is nice for new jumpers like me and others. However, I'm brining it back AND buying drinks help endure you to the locals. People that barely grumble to you will become your best friend if you are buying. LOL

IMHO, skip the tandem. While it counts towards your jump numbers, at this point it's a waste of money. The money would be better spent on tunnel time or your first AFF jump.

IMHO, skip the tandem. While it counts towards your jump numbers, at this point it's a waste of money. The money would be better spent on tunnel time or your first AFF jump.

+1

For the price of a tandem, you can do a full 15 minutes in the tunnel rather than piddle around with 2 or 4 minute blocks.

Not that it's germain to the present conversation, but you can start your AFF in one location and finish in another.

However, the other location (probably) does not have a tunnel and 15 min of tunnel time with a coach is the equivelent of all the free fall time you will have in AFF up to your self-supervised jumps. You...and your AFF instructors will not regret your decision to get more tunnel time before starting your AFF.

Thanks for the info! I'm still a noob. :)

And, no, there are no tunnels on Oahu. Or anywhere in Hawaii, that I know of. With that much time, I may have the basic maneuvers down before I ever jump. Maybe that will preclude any repeat iterations, saving me money on the other end. :)

Sincerely,
Kevin

And, no, there are no tunnels on Oahu. Or anywhere in Hawaii, that I know of. With that much time, I may have the basic maneuvers down before I ever jump. Maybe that will preclude any repeat iterations, saving me money on the other end.

My input:

While the tunnel is an awesome tool, it doesn't do justice to two of the most basic skills necessary to learn true free fall and survival skills as a student. Those 2 skills are self reliance and becoming comfortable with free fall.

I'd suggest a compromise. Do your 2-4 minutes in the tunnel and just get a feel for stable falling. There's no need to nail turns and other maneuvers out of the gate.

Use the money you would have spent for the other 10 minutes of tunnel time for real skydives with instructors.

Back to the beginning of this post.. there is a time when the dollars per minute comparison of tunnel training to real free fall gives the tunnel a huge advantage, but apart from getting the very basic stability skills mastered, I believe that you have to master comfort with the real deal before the tunnel offers a real advantage with non-survival skills.
Owned by Remi #?

I'd suggest a compromise. Do your 2-4 minutes in the tunnel and just get a feel for stable falling.

Keep in mind that the 2 - 4 minute blocks are priced at around $25/hr compared to the volume blocks that are closer to $10/hr. You wouldn't be saving as much as you think.

I'd suggest a compromise. Do your 2-4 minutes in the tunnel and just get a feel for stable falling.

Keep in mind that the 2 - 4 minute blocks are priced at around $25/hr compared to the volume blocks that are closer to $10/hr. You wouldn't be saving as much as you think.

4x25 < 60x10. Just a little.
Remster

what tunnel is $25/hr? I want to go lol.
Moriuntur omnes, sed non omnes vixerunt.

since I can't start the AFF in one spot and finish in another,

Yes you can, unless you pre-pay a DZ for the entire AFF sequence. But if you pay for it on a per-jump basis, it certainly is permitted; and in fact, many students have done it that way (started AFF at one DZ and finished it at another).

what tunnel is $25/hr? I want to go lol.

:)