Vertifly

Belly-to-Belly Backflips

FLYER LVL IV - Expert Belly Fly Transitions

Belly to Belly Backflip Transition
-----------------------------------

Anyone know of a trick on these?

Looking for insight to how to do one in the tunnel.

Is this a HUCK maneuver? Or maybe someone who has a significant amount of time can tell me a trick to getting one done successfully. I'd like to know a step by step if possible.

the thing here is every instructor teaches it differently, but the fundamentals are the same... before trying it, ASK YOUR INSTRUCTOR and take on there way of teaching it as it can be a dangerous maneuver as simple as it may seem, and the instructors are there to help keep you safe...
first make sure you are 100% comfortable on your belly to back transition and back to belly (Backloop) as the transition can be very disorienting at first, because your head is tilted back as your body follows.
with that said...
the way "I" teach it is...
from the belly position extend your arms fwd smoothly and at the same time "push down" so as to apply pressure on the wind. this causes the wind to counteract your push and push your upper body up instead of back. as you do this, extend your legs smoothly, which is going to push you up. from this point on, your head stays cocked back and chin up throughout the whole rotation (your body follows your head, and if you freak out and bring your chin to your chest halfway through the transition it could potentially be a bad day for you) as you start getting vertical, fan out your arms slowly and yes, smoothly, as if doing a backstroke while swimming. this will help give you balance as you start transitioning into a HD vertical position. by the time your body starts coming around to a predominantly HD position and you are face to face with the glass, your arms should be at your sides (this should give you an idea as to the speed of your "backstroke"). as your head comes around back to the starting position you finish off the "Backstroke" and compensate for your momentum, so as not to launch fwd into the glass or eat the net (do not reach down to try to avoid hitting the net... you will just hit it faster, instead, extend your arms fwd to create more surface area if needed).
when you think of what it should look like, think of this maneuver as if it were a slow constant flow around a big hula hoop with your body shaped around it.
hope this answers your question and once again... make sure you talk to your instructor first be4 you just try to whip one of these as you WILL need to be spotted or you WILL get hurt.
Life is all about experiences...
Luck, is when opportunity and preparation meet...

Hey Wayne:

Yeah. I guess. It's a bit confusing as to whether the "Sign-off" is expecting a stable HUCK or a fly-through.

My guess is that this maneuver can be done from

Belly to Sit to Backlip to Belly or

Belly to Back to Backlayout.

The issue, I think, is that going from Belly to Back seems to present a pause in between. I can do a Belly to Back and Back to Belly layout. The pause would make this seem like two maneuvers, not one backflip.

ps. You coming up to NH with Scarecrow anytime soon. The groups are getting much larger, and much more interesting.

-Dave

The issue, I think, is that going from Belly to Back seems to present a pause in between. I can do a Belly to Back and Back to Belly layout. The pause would make this seem like two maneuvers, not one backflip.

Good point - my guess is that putting in enough reps will tend to smooth out the transitions. But of course if you really want to know, Joda's the man to ask - he could tell you exactly what's behind the move, what drills make it easier, etc.

ps. You coming up to NH with Scarecrow anytime soon. The groups are getting much larger, and much more interesting.

Would love to - actually, I'm going up this weekend with a somewhat smaller group (4 hrs for 5 people). I don't know how you guys do it - pretty soon you'll have to open your own tunnel with the numbers you're pulling in!