mdrejhon

Skyventure Toronto!

I work around the corner from the proposed Oakville location and I can confirm there is no action there yet. There is a large sign saying the lease for the space is still available, so I doubt any leases have been signed yet. I drive past that location daily on my way home from work, so I'll post updates if I see them beginning to break ground. :D

I can't wait! I've been to the Montreal location and have been eagerly waiting for them to come to Toronto since they first said they were thinking about it a few years ago. Here's hoping 2013 is a hard target, although I doubt they'll get this done for Spring.
"Jump, and be free"

I work around the corner from the proposed Oakville location and I can confirm there is no action there yet. There is a large sign saying the lease for the space is still available, so I doubt any leases have been signed yet. I drive past that location daily on my way home from work, so I'll post updates if I see them beginning to break ground. :D

I can't wait! I've been to the Montreal location and have been eagerly waiting for them to come to Toronto since they first said they were thinking about it a few years ago. Here's hoping 2013 is a hard target, although I doubt they'll get this done for Spring.

I am at the 1st Canadian Indoor Skydiving Championship (March 9-10) and Alan, the owner, announced over microphone to a hundred people, that next year's (2014) indoor skydiving championship is going to occur in Oakville.

He knows something we don't -- probably the lease is already signed but they never took the sign down; and are intending to begin construction soon after snow melt. Could be a different Oakville lease, but that's what he said -- "Oakville" -- so there must be lots of due diligence already done; getting all the city approvals necessary before lease is signed.

He's the key stakeholder of iFly Toronto too, so it's now up to the city of Oakville to expedite things along. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/iFlyToronto/posts/417355961696572

:)

iFly Toronto · 256 like this
50 minutes ago near Montreal, Quebec ·

Status update: Trucks are leaving Thursday morning from Florida with the first components of the machine and will arrive next week in Oakville. You will start seeing activity on the construction site next week! We will keep you posted as we go.

I can confirm construction has started at the site in Oakville. From the drive in this morning, I believe I saw two of the turbines, so I'll stop by on the way home and try and get a closer look. :D Excitement is building! :D
"Jump, and be free"

https://www.facebook.com/iFlyToronto

They finally got electricified, that part of install went really really slow by our friendly electric company.

The building structure is essentially complete enough to rev up the fans after a few more things, so I bet they'll begin testing shortly.

The up and coming tunnel instructors are already training at Skyventure Montreal now.

Here's a photo from last November. (They are ahead of this stage now at the moment.)

$800 ph = $13.33 per flying minute, about the amount of freefall time you'd get in a 13K altitude jump.

30 tunnel hours = 1800 flying minutes.

The cost of 15 minutes of tunnel time, which you can break up into chunks, is roughly in the same range of what a lot of weekend warriors might spend for a weekend of jumping.

Andy9o8

$800 ph = $13.33 per flying minute, about the amount of freefall time you'd get in a 13K altitude jump.

30 tunnel hours = 1800 flying minutes.

The cost of 15 minutes of tunnel time, which you can break up into chunks, is roughly in the same range of what a lot of weekend warriors might spend for a weekend of jumping.

And then when you get into doing 2-way or 4-way... the cost per minute goes down even further.

Also, a lot of people who have huge numbers of hours buy at bulk rates, so the cost per hour goes down even more.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

All those people with 30 tunnel hrs are rich as hell or what?

Imagine the ones with thousands... :|

But yeah, as a pair, or 4way, it's a manageable added expense.

Andy: that's 1/2 for US based prices... Jumps from 12k in Canada are closer to $35 in most DZs....
Remster

That seems pretty reasonable when you look at it like that. So if you do 2 way you get double the time?

My parents place is just minutes from there, I'll have to check it out this summer.

Wondering what the fuel cost is to run that thing for an hour?

ill nerd it up a bit

I cant remember the horsepower of each motor but I believe it is 300hp and there are 4 of them.

300hp x 746 watts/hp = 223.8kw x 4 = 895kw

electricity is billed by Kilowatt hours. rates fluctuate and there are all kinds of BS service charges in our province so if we averaged (inc fees etc) the hydro consumption out to $0.30/kwh they would have a bill of $268/hr of tunnel time.

This doesn't include general lighting, computers, etc. I also think Im being conservative in my estimates and their hydro bills will likely be much higher than this.

they are electric motors? well, I didn't know that, but I guess to get permission they'd have to be.. So yeah, a lot more than I thought. I figured it would be one big pratt and Whitney or something...like I think I read about in the old days.

cheers for the infp!