HoldtheIce

Seattle In-door Skydiving...???

A friend works in banking and overheard the other day that financing is on track, and they are still shooting for a January opening.

January of what year?:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

A friend works in banking and overheard the other day that financing is on track, and they are still shooting for a January opening.

January of what year?:D

Yeah, really. The general rule with a "planned" wind tunnel is: don't believe it until they've actually broken ground, poured the foundation and there is active construction going on every day.

August (2011)

Construction has been no stranger to the thousands of drivers that take I-405 through Tukwila every day. But for the last several weeks a rather odd-looking structure has been going up near Southcenter, and when they hung a banner asking commuters "What do you think it is" curiosity got the best of us.
"What we are building is 14-foot, re-circulating, indoor skydiving wind tunnel," says owner Lysa Adams. That's right, this ominous, industrial-type structure that looks like something out of a Phillip K. Dick novel is actually an indoor skydiving facility.

Adams and her husband are avid skydivers and are building iFly Seattle.

"We have four very, very, very powerful engines," says Adams. "The air gets accelerated and it gets pushed up into the flight chamber where we can contain that hurricane in a bottle."

The flight chamber itself is 14 feet in diameter, and winds can exceed 150 mph inside. That's enough for just about anyone to literally float on a column of air. Adams says the facility will be the largest of its kind in the western United States.

According to iFly, an international chain with six other locations, the thing is so safe, kids as young as three can do it. First time flyers are accompanied by an instructor who will hang on to your suit and stabilize your position. And if the worst happens, you only fall a few feet onto a mesh netting.

Adams says there's already been a high demand for tickets.

IFly Seattle plans to open in August.

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Really glad to see this. The Great NorthWet has been sorely lacking, tunnel-wise. Now all we need are some in the Mid-West and Mid Atlantic.

Wow, I've lived in Portland/Seattle since I popped out of my mom and I've never heard NorthWet.

Also, I'm glad to hear this is actually happening.

Really glad to see this. The Great NorthWet has been sorely lacking, tunnel-wise. Now all we need are some in the Mid-West and Mid Atlantic.

Wow, I've lived in Portland/Seattle since I popped out of my mom and I've never heard NorthWet.

Also, I'm glad to hear this is actually happening.

I have been calling it as I see it since I got here in the 70's... I guess its because I enjoy the out of doors here in the Pacific NorthWET:P

Any news at all about the conctruction of this new facility?

Anything?

Thanks

Mikey C.

Latest News... from Seattle

I have been watching their Facebook page.. and they are flying... and testing.....

Question
Are you officially open now?

IFly Seattle Not quite yet. Next month around the 15th ;-) soon, very very soon!

You too can follow their progress...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100001890248847

Any news at all about the conctruction of this new facility?

Anything?

Thanks

Mikey C.

Latest News... from Seattle

I have been watching their Facebook page.. and they are flying... and testing.....

Question
Are you officially open now?

IFly Seattle Not quite yet. Next month around the 15th ;-) soon, very very soon!

You too can follow their progress...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100001890248847

The folks on the eastern side of the state has been watching it closely....will be nice to have someplace not out of state to get some flying skills in the winter ---
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Open now? (August 12th)

video

http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog/2011/08/14/indoor-skydiving-center-opens-near-seattle/

Davy Manning can fly.

Inside the 45-foot wind tunnel in Tukwila, he’s like Superman — up, down, suspended in the air.

Manning is the flight crew manager at iFly Seattle, the largest indoor skydiving facility of its kind west of the Mississippi. The franchise is slated to open Monday, offering a less daring alternative to traditional skydiving for those apprehensive about free-falling from an airplane.

During a training session for iFly Seattle instructors last week, Manning demonstrated what’s possible in the air tunnel, which is powered from the top by four massive fans. Moving his arms and legs, he shot to the ceiling, then swooped back down.

“He controls the air,” said iFly Seattle co-owner Lysa Adams. “He gets it.”Davy Manning can fly.

Inside the 45-foot wind tunnel in Tukwila, he’s like Superman — up, down, suspended in the air.

Manning is the flight crew manager at iFly Seattle, the largest indoor skydiving facility of its kind west of the Mississippi. The franchise is slated to open Monday, offering a less daring alternative to traditional skydiving for those apprehensive about free-falling from an airplane.

During a training session for iFly Seattle instructors last week, Manning demonstrated what’s possible in the air tunnel, which is powered from the top by four massive fans. Moving his arms and legs, he shot to the ceiling, then swooped back down.

“He controls the air,” said iFly Seattle co-owner Lysa Adams. “He gets it.”

Adams is opening the iFly Seattle franchise with husband Bill. Most of her customers won’t be maneuvering like Manning — not at first. They’ll start out hovering on their stomachs in the recirculating air tunnel. At a later session, they may move to their backs.

The next step is hovering — flying, as Adams puts it — in a seated position. Then, finally, a head-first dive.

The experience is similar to skydiving. But in many ways, it’s more difficult, Adams said. A controlled fall out of a plane is easier in many respects, she said.

“This is harder because you actually resist the air,” she said.

Adams started out as a traditional skydiver — that’s how she met husband Bill, her flight instructor at the time.

“You can actually say we fell in love,” she said.

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live