west33freefall

We need a windtunnel in OHIO!

The Flyaway tunnel wouldnt offer any real competition. It isnt a very good tunnel and there isnt an easy way to get it it from out of town. No airports nearby except a couple small strips so you have to drive in and its not the most fun drive.

Which is another plus for the Cincinnati/Northern KY location. The international airport right there would be a big help to skydivers and tourists alike. I would be all for putting one in NKY. They have been poaching all kinds of business from Ohio with their tax incentives anyway. Even though I claim Cincy i really live right across the river in NKY and love it. It's cheaper, nicer, and easier to get around. Plus Cincinnati is layed out really big. People are used to driving 45 minutes to get to an attraction, so putting it near Kings Island wouldnt stop the NKY people from going and putting it by KI wouldnt stop the NKY people. In fact, Kings Island draws day trippers from as far as Indy, Columbus, Lexington, Louisville, Ashland, Huntington, and Charleston. They could do the same for a tunnel.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

The Flyaway tunnel wouldnt offer any real competition. It isnt a very good tunnel and there isnt an easy way to get it it from out of town. No airports nearby except a couple small strips so you have to drive in and its not the most fun drive.

Which is another plus for the Cincinnati/Northern KY location. The international airport right there would be a big help to skydivers and tourists alike. I would be all for putting one in NKY. They have been poaching all kinds of business from Ohio with their tax incentives anyway. Even though I claim Cincy i really live right across the river in NKY and love it. It's cheaper, nicer, and easier to get around. Plus Cincinnati is layed out really big. People are used to driving 45 minutes to get to an attraction, so putting it near Kings Island wouldnt stop the NKY people from going and putting it by KI wouldnt stop the NKY people. In fact, Kings Island draws day trippers from as far as Indy, Columbus, Lexington, Louisville, Ashland, Huntington, and Charleston. They could do the same for a tunnel.

My thoughts exactly! B|
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I absolutely agree! I live in East Tennessee, about 30 minutes from Pigeon Forge and would definitely drive 3-4 hours to go to a better tunnel. I wouldn't pay money to get in the Flyaway tunnel, to be perfectly honest. It's a tourist attraction, not a great tunnel for skydivers.

I think on the riverfront in NKY would be an awesome location for a tunnel! Although I might be a little biased because my family still lives in Cincy. :):)
Now, who is going to build it??? :P

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

A little background...

My level 3's went ok, but my 1st level 4 (90 deg turns) was an epic fail, as I could not keep myself from spinning. I looked around Ohio for a tunnel to practice stability and basic movement to make finishing my AFF and the coach jumps a much more relaxing process. I've searched this site for reviews of Appalachian adventures AND that place in Pigeon Forge. Everything I've read says beginners with stability issues would not glean much from these places. Did I read too much into what I found? I don't want to repeat any more of these jumps, since I'm only getting 45 seconds/jump to practice and/or fix what I'm doing wrong.

I'm 6'2" 230lbs and am used to using my muscles to DO things, so relaxing in flight is proving elusive. My instructor tells me my legs are the main problem (not extended enough and sometimes uneven), but I don't seem to have the feel for them while falling.

Would I need to drive the 8.5 hrs to ParacleteXP to have productive time in a tunnel fixing my stability, or will one like App Adv, or Flyaway TN provide good instruction?

Thanks

(chuckle). I was trying that to no avail (mostly because I was forgetting the L part) and J3's signals were lost on me for a bit. The biggest problem was not jumping for a few weeks and me not reviewing ALL the hand signals. I BELIEVE I am relaxed, but I didn't FEEL relaxed. And my "relaxed" pulled my lower leg out of position and behind my upper leg.

Exit was "money", Landing was 20m as though I hopped off a 2' box. Everything inbetween....epic fail.

Agree was looking around for wind tunnels in Ohio only one is in Dayton Wright Patterson AF Base and it is closed to the public. So do need a commerical one, would be there training.

I do not believe that is the kind of wind tunnel you would want to fly in anyway. It is a horizontal wind tunnel for testing aircraft aerodynamics. :P
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.

They used to have a vertical and horizontal on the facility.

Matt

I did not know that.... when you say "used to" is the vertical tunnel gone now?

Last time I was on base (in the last 5yrs) it was still there.

Google says it was the first one.

With Sandusky becoming more of a year round resort area with the indoor water parks I think a tunnel would work well in the area. Cedar Fair....are you listening?

NO! Cincinnati!!! Cedar Fair is here too! :P

I used to work at US Bank in the private client group. That is a good program but you would still be looking at a big ass loan and would need the financials to prove you are worthy. Good credit isn't enough.

Private client group...nice. Just cross-collateralize the yacht! lol

I'm aware that there is a need for capital among other things, but in this whole thead loans have not been discussed. It's a lot easier to bring 1M into a deal then it is to bring 5M in.

I've only worked on one SBA deal in the past, but to my understanding it's not one of those loan programs where the lender would require you have enough assets to not even need the loan. In fact, if I read quidelines correctly I think that there a maximum income levels for some of the SBA programs.

Private client group...nice. Just cross-collateralize the yacht! lol

I'm aware that there is a need for capital among other things, but in this whole thead loans have not been discussed. It's a lot easier to bring 1M into a deal then it is to bring 5M in.

I've only worked on one SBA deal in the past, but to my understanding it's not one of those loan programs where the lender would require you have enough assets to not even need the loan. In fact, if I read quidelines correctly I think that there a maximum income levels for some of the SBA programs.

You are correct and that is the crux of the situation. I am not sure it would really get through as an SBA. The best way to do it would be to get a minority on board with you and go from there.

Last time I was on base (in the last 5yrs) it was still there.

Google says it was the first one.

Only a few vertical wind tunnels were built for testing model airplanes, but they used to toss model airplanes into them and study how they spun.

The aerodynamics of spinning airplanes are pretty complex ... too complex to "number crunch," so they had to spin models to understand the process.

Most of those vertical wind tunnels were built before North American skydivers learned how to fall stable (circa 1960). And that was long before "skydiving" became popular.

"

... I would be looking to pull from the states to the north ...

"

Er ... that's a PROVINCE to the north of Ohio.

Have you visited the tunnel in Niagara, Ontario?

Given entertainment tax laws, etc. it might be more profitable to build a new tunnel in Windsor, Ontario. Given the slow USA economy, the tunnel will probably complete about the same time as the new bridge to Detroit.
Hah!
Hah!

The vertical tunnel at WPAFB is still there and in use (mainly for stability studies), but it's not really powerful enough for people. If I remember correctly from the last time I was over there, it will only barely get up to terminal for belly flying.