Rstanley0312

Outdoor wind tunnel

I saw an add in the new parachutist for an outdoor wind tunnel. Ok cool..... then I saw the $500.00 for an hour block and I thought... WTF? Top speed 136 mph or something close to that and not enclosed and thats what they want for an hour block?
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

What do you think an appropriate rate should be?

I am just comparing what an hour block in Orlando's indoor tunnel is. It's $475.00 and you have a tunnel with a lot more power as well as an air column that doesn't just stop bc there are walls. I would feel fine on it but just starting out with not a lot of control....

I just question it that's all.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.

What do you think an appropriate rate should be?

I am just comparing what an hour block in Orlando's indoor tunnel is. It's $475.00...

I think you should double check your sources for Orlando's prices

My bad.... no source other than my mistake... I just went there and did 2 hrs and for some reason I thought I did them for $475.00 each. oops...... anyway even at $645.00 an hour..... way more worth it to spend the $145.00 more but now we are in to opinion. i would not pay $500.00 for that "tunnel" is all that I am saying but I also am a freeflier so the power of the tunnel wouldn't do for me anyway.

...but I also am a freeflier so the power of the tunnel wouldn't do for me anyway.

1-do you have the patch ?
2-if you can't freefly at "lower" speeds, it can be very interesting, you learn LOTS in "slower" tunnels
3-well, by seeing the outdoor tunnel, I'd personnally be scared to fly it... the same scare you can have when you go swimming in the ocean for the first time and you only swam in a fishtank before. :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

...but I also am a freeflier so the power of the tunnel wouldn't do for me anyway.

1-do you have the patch ?
2-if you can't freefly at "lower" speeds, it can be very interesting, you learn LOTS in "slower" tunnels
3-well, by seeing the outdoor tunnel, I'd personnally be scared to fly it... the same scare you can have when you go swimming in the ocean for the first time and you only swam in a fishtank before. :)

haha... I do have a patch :P I meant I'm a freeflier in his progression and not to the point that I would probably be able to fly those speeds really well. I still need more power for my 210 lbs. ass. It does look fun being outside but I think an actual indoor tunnel works best for my training right now.

Right now I would just pay more for what is offered. That's all.

I saw an add in the new parachutist for an outdoor wind tunnel. Ok cool..... then I saw the $500.00 for an hour block and I thought... WTF? Top speed 136 mph or something close to that and not enclosed and thats what they want for an hour block?

$500 per hour is a good price for any tunnel. There are times I pay almost $1000 per hour.

That's Appalachian Amusement Center -- I heard it was a very fun tunnel for bellyflyers. It was mentioned that lack of walls is useful for some to force you to fly more precisely too -- a challenge.

If I was living near there, I think $500 there at least some of the time is more worth it than always driving to other tunnels.

I saw this place last weekend on Nitro Circus on MTV. They were testing from what altitude they can jump into the air column and not get hurt. Video here

I saw that episode too. I want to do that SOOOOOO bad ;)
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

That's Appalachian Amusement Center -- I heard it was a very fun tunnel for bellyflyers. It was mentioned that lack of walls is useful for some to force you to fly more precisely too -- a challenge.

AAC is my first tunnel I've started to fly. I spend about 20 hrs in that place. I've learned a lot of things, thanks to John and Keith. And yeah, no walls - huge challenge. But ton of fan also. What I figured later, when I tried enclosed tunnels - my AAC experience kicks ass. I need to get there again, my swing to paragliding took me away from bodyflying a little. ;)

I still need more power for my 210 lbs.

I am 250 lbs and AAC tunnel is capable to blow me away like a feather. Even without bulky suit. Believe me, that tunnel is far more powerful than it seems like.

I am 250 lbs and AAC tunnel is capable to blow me away like a feather. Even without bulky suit. Believe me, that tunnel is far more powerful than it seems like.

To the best of my knowledge AAC is the world's best outdoor tunnel with no walls -- far better than the Aerodium of yesterday.

A friend of mine flew in one of the first recreational outdoor tunnels -- an Aerodium unit -- up here in Canada sometime approximately 1980. It cost only $25 per hour back in that day!

Nontheless, I have not heard of any better outdoor non-walled tunnels than AAC.

I still need more power for my 210 lbs. ass. It does look fun being outside but I think an actual indoor tunnel works best for my training right now.

AAC L1 has enough power for your 210 lbs, but the question is if you have enough skills to handle it :)
I've been there a lot. Would highly recommend it.

I still need more power for my 210 lbs. ass. It does look fun being outside but I think an actual indoor tunnel works best for my training right now.

AAC L1 has enough power for your 210 lbs, but the question is if you have enough skills to handle it :)
I've been there a lot. Would highly recommend it.

Well it is the closest tunnel to me so I think I will be giving it a go this season. Im sure it will be a blast I was just concerned about power and wearing those winglet suits.

I wore my normal fast RW suit and the operator got the speeds up high enough that John Suiter is doing head down above me as I am on my belly arching a bit harder than average to stay near the net.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I wore my normal fast RW suit and the operator got the speeds up high enough that John Suiter is doing head down above me as I am on my belly arching a bit harder than average to stay near the net.

Matt

NICE B|

I have the video so it did happen.

I have around 12 hours of video from flying in that tunnel, or is it over that tunnel? But the point i was getting towards was only one person wore a real loose flappy suit and he was trying to see how low the speed could get and still fly in it.

I think the Golden Knights 4-way Team was the first to fly it in RW suits and as a 4-way. They seemed to have no issues.

Matt

I have the video so it did happen.

I have around 12 hours of video from flying in that tunnel, or is it over that tunnel? But the point i was getting towards was only one person wore a real loose flappy suit and he was trying to see how low the speed could get and still fly in it.

I think the Golden Knights 4-way Team was the first to fly it in RW suits and as a 4-way. They seemed to have no issues.

Matt

Thanks Matt.... that makes me happy bc it is so much closer to me!

It is a fun tunnel to fly in (on?).

For a Skydiver its only draw back is the lack of a Vertical Reference like other tunnels.

Until you can turn 100% of the time in place and carry no momentum after completing a move, be prepared to fall off the wind cone. Falling can be funny and frustrating.

The Engineer said a while back they have built a "Tube" that bolts in to place (by appointment) to make it a bit more like the Sky Venture set up, but I have never verified that, nor used it.

Matt

It is a fun tunnel to fly in (on?).

For a Skydiver its only draw back is the lack of a Vertical Reference like other tunnels.

Until you can turn 100% of the time in place and carry no momentum after completing a move, be prepared to fall off the wind cone. Falling can be funny and frustrating.

And painful! The net is not soft. B|
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

It is useful for Skydiving Skills, but takes a bit of concentration on looking into the outlet to know if your still centered.

If in TN and looking for a tunnel to use for Skydiving Skills I would use AAC, in NC I would use XP.

Matt