ckporter83

wind tunnel safety record?

The only injuries that we have had are 8 shoulder dislocations... all of them were customers ( first time flyers ) that had previous shoulder dislocations and when asked when checking in and in the class room they did not disclose it.
You would have to ask each tunnel to get the answer that you are looking for. Not sure if they will tell you.. especially if there is a lawsuit going on.

svnh - so what is your policy on those who DO disclose shoulder dislocations?

I dislocated my shoulder badly in a tunnel in 2007 (was inexperienced but not a first time flyer) however have since done 30+ tunnel hours without any problem.

Hypothetically, if I turned up at your tunnel and disclosed this, would you let me fly?

Yes... we would let you fly. You would have to sign an additional waiver saying that you understand the risks of flying with a prior dislocation. It is also important to let the instructor know so that he is aware of it. Not just at my tunnel but at any tunnel for your safety. We would also want you to stay within the glass section when flying.
Hope that helps. :)

The #1 thing is customer safety.B| I understand that it may be a little harder to do. It could be a bad day if someone was up high ( our tunnel is 45 feet to the top ) and they had a shoulder dislocate. Playing it safe is always the best route.:)

I think the tunnels can be safe, I also know they can be unsafe. Safety is mostly about planning, building and understanding a safe plan, and sticking to it the best you can. Even better understanding PLAN B, cause we all know that things dont always go as planned.
Who you jump with, where you jump, and how much is at risk will always play a factor in safety.
We learn from our/others mistakes, it is what pushes the sport further. We lose alot of talented jumpers that push the sport for our learning, this loss.. also can hold the sport back!! Safety is setting a pace........

Does anyone know of hard statistics for wind tunnel injuries and fatalities? I'm curious how they compare with skydiving.

IIRC there has been a fatality in Paris, France. Broken neck in the tunnel, flyer deceased later in hospital. That was a couple of years ago.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM