fedykin

Old School meets new tunnel

Is that Olav in there?

I'm not sure how to take your post. Are you really making fun of what he's doing in the tunnel? Or os it just because he's an 'old shcool' guy in the tunnel?

It look to me like he doesn't have a lot of tunnel time, and he's working shit out. It appears that he's just doing drills, getting the hang of the space and the airflow. How else are you supposed to do it?

Maybe if you had pioneered an entire discipline of skydiving, you'd have a place to speak here, but you didn't. He did.

He also hasn't declared himself the inventor of tunnel flying, so cut the guy a break. He's learning, like everyone else. (None of this is to say that he wont' eventually declare himself the inventor of tunnel flying, or try to copyright the terminology, but until such time, kindly refrain from teasing).

but you forgot one fine point....
im not coaching others in the tunnel(which he is)
and to be frank i'm a bit further on that what i've seen on that vid

and lets not push the whole 'pioneered' line either, we all know thats pretty paper thin. and ask some of the guys in flyaway about who the first person the fly head down was...

nope, im taking the piss out of someone who's coaching others when they fly like that....

especially when tunnel rats take years and years to hone their skills and really understand how to fly in the tunnel, some people feel they can rock up and start coaching

and to be frank i'm a bit further on that what i've seen on that vid

Are you thinking that Olav is in the white, and that he is coaching the guy in the black? The one who pops in for the last 90 seconds of a 9 minute video?

I'm thinking that Olav is just working on his tunnel flying, and then some dude hops in for some random two-way time at the end. No?

That doesn't appear to be any sort of coaching in either direction as far as I can see. I stand by my point that the guy is learning something new, and shouldn't be mocked for it.

and lets not push the whole 'pioneered' line either, we all know thats pretty paper thin. and ask some of the guys in flyaway about who the first person the fly head down was...

Flying head down is one thing. Combining it with upright flying, and making a 'thing' out of it is another. The guy certainly had alot to do with making the word 'freefly' a word.

I just think your pissing in the wrong direction in general.

Sorry dave but i think your mistaken.

He is coaching and now is making a regular thing of it....

see
http://www.freeflyschool.com/Olav_Zipser/Willkommen.html

-----------------------
Learn to Fly
with the Inventor and the Father of FreeFly .

Olav Zipser

I‘m inviting you to learn all about the FreeFly philosophy and techniques.
Manage to harmonize you‘re physical action thru mental meditation .
I will create a personal training program and film you life from the inside of the tunnel
with a dynamic in flight head mounted and a stationary camera .
Technical Briefings before and after the FreeFly Sessions are included.
You‘re FreeFly Progression Video can be published on Youtube and /or Facebook.

TUNNEL TIMES IN 2010
THIS TIMES ARE GUARANTEED
for all bookings and arranging other times

Blocks
15 min. Tunnel time +coaching +video = 230.-€
10 min. Tunnel time +coaching +video = 160.-€
every Friday ,Saturday ,Sunday march 13- may 2
every day 2x 15 min + 1x 10 min blocks
book all day 40 min = 600.-€

-------------------------

Lets separate the two issues.

1) The morality and integrity involved with someone flying like this coaching others, IMO, is pretty weak

2) The Inventor of freefly etc.... Good marketing and self promotion at best.

Sorry dave but i think your mistaken.

He is coaching and now is making a regular thing of it....

see
http://www.freeflyschool.com/Olav_Zipser/Willkommen.html

-----------------------
Learn to Fly
with the Inventor and the Father of FreeFly .

Olav Zipser

I‘m inviting you to learn all about the FreeFly philosophy and techniques.
Manage to harmonize you‘re physical action thru mental meditation .
I will create a personal training program and film you life from the inside of the tunnel
with a dynamic in flight head mounted and a stationary camera .
Technical Briefings before and after the FreeFly Sessions are included.
You‘re FreeFly Progression Video can be published on Youtube and /or Facebook.

TUNNEL TIMES IN 2010
THIS TIMES ARE GUARANTEED
for all bookings and arranging other times

Blocks
15 min. Tunnel time +coaching +video = 230.-€
10 min. Tunnel time +coaching +video = 160.-€
every Friday ,Saturday ,Sunday march 13- may 2
every day 2x 15 min + 1x 10 min blocks
book all day 40 min = 600.-€

-------------------------

Lets separate the two issues.

1) The morality and integrity involved with someone flying like this coaching others, IMO, is pretty weak

2) The Inventor of freefly etc.... Good marketing and self promotion at best.

From what I understand there are "fathers" of freefly. Orly King was one of those who started it all with olav and I'm sure there are others out there. Who gives a shit? Bottom line is Olav had a big part in it.

Are we even sure Olav is the one coaching?
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Well....
IMO
There really should be a pretty solid base of skill before someone starts coaching, thats not to say good flyers make good coaches, which as we all know, isn't always the case...

I feel that on the whole tunnel rats are those best suited to do this, given they are the ones with the greatest experience and exposure to tunnel skills

Obviously he's done a freefly jump or two, but as we've seen, his judgement and skills when it comes to the tunnel is more than a little bit flawed(ie.... dismissing tunnel instructors advice and IBA regulation and breaking both of his arms).B|

Olav clearly doesn't have a solid developed tunnel skill set and thus shouldn't be coaching...

Going back to the initial point, i think it is really funny to watch!

if you knew me, you'd know that aint the case!:)

Ok.... fisrt realize I only have 260 jumps and 2 hrs of tunnel but I gotta know.... is he that bad? I mean I've watched way better but does he really suck?
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

and to be frank i'm a bit further on that what i've seen on that vid.

You do know those were some of his first flights don't you? I saw video of his tunnel progression and it was rather quick. I can assure you it took you much longer to get as far along as is now.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

if you knew me, you'd know that aint the case!:)

Ok.... fisrt realize I only have 260 jumps and 2 hrs of tunnel but I gotta know.... is he that bad? I mean I've watched way better but does he really suck?

No.He's actually quite good. He's just not used to flying in the tunnel.

Obviously he's done a freefly jump or two, but as we've seen, his judgement and skills when it comes to the tunnel is more than a little bit flawed(ie.... dismissing tunnel instructors advice and IBA regulation and breaking both of his arms)

How many years ago now? I'm pretty sure that cured him of dismissing advice. How many times have you dismissed the advice of others in your 4000 skydives and got away with it? In 4000 jumps I imagine you've nearly killed yourself a few times. You were the first to know it and probably learned your lesson.;)

Olav clearly doesn't have a solid developed tunnel skill set and thus shouldn't be coaching...

Going back to the initial point, i think it is really funny to watch!

I have seen many advanced tunnel customers that are comfortable on their heads in the tunnel who have offered paid tunnel coaching to beginner tunnel flyers without having any IBA instructor certifications or ratings. Probably to offset their own costs. Right or wrong, i am not the judge. I do know that sometimes an outside coach with a lesser tunnel skill than a certified tunnel instructor can do just as good of a job or maybe even better with a novice flyer.

Has it occurred to you that maybe Olav has completed certain level of IBA instructor requirements and now is coaching beginner flyers??

Either way, doesn't matter. It seems what you're doing here is making fun of him, his skills and his style of flying, rather than making a point of being certified and ready to coach. So let me ask you this then.

Based on your posts and your profile you have seven years in the sport and 4000 jumps and you are very good in the tunnel. That's a lot of great results in a relatively short period of time! Good job.

I noticed that you seem to exhibit the tendency to challenge the so called "fathers" of stuff here on dz.com. Your debate on atmonauts was locked a while back. Now you are making fun of Olav and his style of flying. Is it possible that you are just a cocky quick up-riser who feels the need to prove himself by questioning and challenging real, time proven experience of "senior" skydivers?

Even if so, it wouldnt be that bad. But with the comments like "i think it is really funny to watch!" and "this like a Commodore 64 style technique in the age of the MacBook pro", you do make yourself look like a dick. You may be good, but there are people who are REALLY good, that will simply embarrass you in the tunnel should you challenge them. They don't laugh at those who are making attempts to learn, because they know how much time they had to put in to get there.

Maybe a reality check is overdue?

Point by point

1) Olav isnt a certified IBA coach or instructor. Not to put that as a the holy grail(Bottrop and Bedford seem to get by just fine without it). But it is pretty generally accepted that it a solid system that produces highly skilled spotters and coaches.

Ive had a fair bit of contact with him and Tiezzi(if this is what your refering to). In the formers case, I entered into a debate on physics which saw the Atmo crew shift away from a technical debate, to a religious one.

In terms of Olav, yeah I've defiantly been critical. So be it, he's certainly given all of us more than enough ammunition.

In taking the piss out of an unqualified and underskilled coach I make no apologies. In no way am I 'big ing myself up'.

Ill ask you this, do you honestly think that it appropriate for someone at that level to be coaching?

Ill ask you this, do you honestly think that it appropriate for someone at that level to be coaching?

In all fairness, that video was shot over a month ago. Is there a chance he's tuned himself up in the meantime? When is (or did) he actually start flying with students?

I'm going to have a figure that a guy who's been freeflying for most of the last 20 years, and is up over 12,000 jumps (mostly freefly) is going to come along pretty quick in the tunnel.

Let's also remember that for your 4000 jumps, Olav probably has that many, or more, paid freefly coaching jumps, so he already knows how to coach.

How about this, see if you can scare up some video of him actually flying one-on-one with a paying student in the tunnel, and then post it along with some footage of you flying one-on-one with a paying student, and we'll see who's the MacBookPro and who's the [Indirect PA removed by slotperfect] that's in over his head.

By many accounts he's been coaching there for the past couple of months...
None withstanding... your avoiding the question, do you think its appropriate for him to be coaching at that level?
As you obviously believe he'll learn very quickly(or has) then given he's been there for a couple months, he obviously started coaching there at an even lower level than this.

Two bits of advice

1) Actually awnser the questions
2) Dont get into a slagging match with me

1) Actually awnser the questions

I can't. All you did was show us a video of Olav flying around by himself. For all I know he was in there with his eyes closed, and you're using it as the prime example of his flying/coaching abilities.

Like I said, let have an apples to apples comparison. Even if you want to compare his apples to somebody elses apples, post a video of him in the tunnel with a paying student and a video of anyone else displaying what you believe to be the minimum skill needed to coach students in the tunnel. If that guy is flying better then Olav, then you'll have a point.

If that other video happens to be you displying the minimum skills needed to fly with a student in the tunnel, it would really make your point for you, but even if it was some other dude, it would still get it done.

2) Dont get into a slagging match with me

Relax, tough guy. It's just the internet, and the turth is more defensive you get, the less valid your point becomes.

Face the facts, I'm not the only guy who called you out on your post. You slid right in there and bashed the guy for no reason. There was no concern about the safety of students, or even the 'integrity' of tunnel coaches, you just pointed and laughed and it didn't come off well at all.

Drop the attitude, post some relevant videos and make a constructive point. People will back you up if you're really on to something. If nobody has your back, it's for a reason.