marx597

Rig Condom

I am not sure about other tunnels but at paracletexp they are not allowed. Another good option is to take out the parachutes and use other material. Parachutes are designed to open, thats their job. If any material comes out it will be without a doubt a fatality. Rig condoms are not a good idea.
But like skydiving a lot of bad ideas are allowed so use your own judgement and just be careful.

Simple. Open parachute in tunnel, rapid deceleration, high speed impact with the top of the tunnel.

So the tunnel is what - 20 feet tall? How much negative acceleration would you get in that much distance? Hell, the canopy would barely have line stretch when it hit the top.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Its 56 feet tall. If you dont know what you're talking about dont post. I would love to have you come here and see for yourself.

Actually Mr. V, we discover things we don't know by posting our thoughts and getting responses - unless of course you don't want people to know more about your tunnel.

My knowledge of today's tunnels is very incomplete. I wasn't aware that they were that tall. I can certainly see how a tunnel deployment could be fatal.

Thanks for informing me about your tunnel. Maybe it will also inform someone who was afraid to post for fear of being told not to.;)

More flies with honey, Kirk. I'll go to Denver where they send reps out to recruit at places like Raeford during Skyfest.:o
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Its 56 feet tall. If you dont know what you're talking about dont post. I would love to have you come here and see for yourself.

Actually Mr. V, we discover things we don't know by posting our thoughts and getting responses - unless of course you don't want people to know more about your tunnel.

My knowledge of today's tunnels is very incomplete. I wasn't aware that they were that tall. I can certainly see how a tunnel deployment could be fatal.

Thanks for informing me about your tunnel. Maybe it will also inform someone who was afraid to post for fear of being told not to.;)

More flies with honey, Kirk. I'll go to Denver where they send reps out to recruit at places like Raeford during Skyfest.:o

+3
Stay high pull low

Whether the tunnel is 56 feet tall like XP or not, there are going to be huge problems if there is a deployment. First, you are going to shoot up and slam into the top. That will probably cause a fatality. Then the canopy is going to get sucked up through the turning vanes or directly into the fan blades depending on the type of tunnel. While this is happening, you'll be getting slammed around. I imagine the tunnel would probably stop working since the fans will be tangled with material and lines. When that happens, you'll either fall back down or be stuck up there. I don't see any part of that process being survivable.

Your response didn't come across to me like you were posting your thoughts, I thought it sounded like you were shooting down what Kirk posted. That's just my interpretation though.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Instead of making or buying a rig condom - another way to go it to convert and old container into a tunnel rig.

I made them for my team a few years ago by covering all the exposed hardware so that there was nothing that could scratch up the tunnel. Then I simply cut out high density foam to fill the containers and also inserted weights to match what each person's container weighed. The last step was simply to close up the containers semi-permanently by routing 1500 lb. dacron through the grommets of both the main and reserve and then sealing it with a knot. I used 5lb plates as the base weight and then added individual lbs of weight belt style weights to match them to each persons regular rigs.

No handles, no parachutes, no way for the containers to open. They worked out well for our team...

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

man kirk I need to get my big ass over to n.c. and try that tunnel of yours out. been wanting to since it opened. and heard you were running it. haven't seen ya since the sparta illinois days.. plus this fat old man want's to learn to sitfly.B| think that tunnel will hold up a 250 lb man in a sit fly position??;)

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I saw a team wearing what appeared to be dummie rigs, or real ones with condoms, several days ago at Paracletexp. I was told by a local coach (not with that team) that they were their regular rigs, with covers, but I don't know if that's true.

(Saying anything else about it is speculation on my part. Don't know if Paracletexp makes some exceptions, if they were not really working rigs, or what. Kirk is probably the one with an answer.)

Anyone know where I can get a condom for my rig so i can practice with it on in the tunnel.

Rigging Innovations makes rig covers for tunnel use. They call it the "Tunnel Wrap."

I have a photo of one somewhere, if I can find it, I'll post it. Some tunnels won't allow a cover to be used.