ChuChu

Advice needed

Hey folks,

I've decided that I want to get a lot more tunnel time over the coming year to try and break down the array of bad habits i've picked up over the last couple of years of jumping. I mainly get involved in FS jumping at the moment and i'm a believer in sucking at one thing at a time so this is unlikely to change.

My question for thee oh DZ.com is, if I was able to afford an hour per month, how would I be best to use it? Should it be spread out over the month (e.g. 15 minutes a week) or done in one trip or so?

Does anyone have any other top tips on how to break down the bad habits and become an FS badass (a guy can dream)?

Thanks folks.

Couple of questions:
1 - How far do you live from the tunnel...is it easy for you to get to once per week?

2 - Do you have 2 or 3 other people that would want to do something similar?

The reason I ask is that if you are going to travel a long way to the tunnel for only 15 mins of flying...I think your time could be better used. If you are only going to fly 1 hr per month/ I would do 30 mins, 2X/month. Just my personal opinion.

Next, if you can find 3 other people that want to work on their FS skills, putting together a 4 way team to fly in the tunnel can greatly help you flying (and will be much easier financially). I'm not sure you want to fly solo for 1 hr per month. After a while, I think that would get old and boring. If you want to spend some solo time with a coach to break some habit, by all means, you should.
After the solo coaching, get in there with other people and if possible, get some coaching there as well.

Good luck

Couple of questions:
1 - How far do you live from the tunnel...is it easy for you to get to once per week?

I'm a 3 hour drive away but fortunately there's a good dropzone not that far from it and i'm sure i'd be able to get together a few folks that would be willing to split fuel costs for weekends away.

2 - Do you have 2 or 3 other people that would want to do something similar?

I'll have to take a look at that. Unfortunately i'm not able to give the long term commitment to getting into a 4way team this year so that's not an option but I suppose I could look into finding other people in the same situation as myself. My nearest dropzone is unfortunately much more FF based (and I use FF in the loosest sense of the word) so it may be a case of throwing a post up online and seeing what I can do.

I'm not sure you want to fly solo for 1 hr per month. After a while, I think that would get old and boring. If you want to spend some solo time with a coach to break some habit, by all means, you should.

Yeah i'd like to eventually move onto getting a group of people together but I think it would need to be a good bit of solo time initially. I've a tendency to revert back to old ways as soon as I start focusing on other things i.e. points so i'd like to focus on making sure i've got the muscle memory for the basics sorted.

Thanks for the advice :)

If you can handle the driving, I'd go for the 15 minutes per week. Many people get tired after flying for 10-15 minutes, so unless you space out the time well, or happen to use those odd bodyflight muscles all the time, anything beyond that may lead to diminishing results.

Going weekly allows you to remain more current, and have a chance of actually building up your muscles, rather than letting them return to normal after a 2 week break.

-eli

Which tunnel do you plan on going to?

If you're flying belly, I'd recommend going one day out of the month and doing maybe 10 to 20 minutes per hour. That way you can get some rest and watch your footage to plan out the next few minutes. Watching your footage can help you see your bad habits. Whoever the instructor is at the time will usually throw you some advice if you look over to them. Freeflying can get super tiring if you're not conditioned/used to it, but belly flying is not so tiring with the lower windspeeds.

If you plan on going to the larger tunnels like Paraclete XP, you'll definitely want to find some people to fly with. I doubt you could become an FS badass flying solo. Try finding locals or use the tunnel time classifieds to meet others who want to fly, too. It might not be a consistent group of flyers, but you might be able to get together with others who wanted to fly for a bit.