billyrocket

insurance for wind tunnels

thanx. yes, i have spoken to john many times. is there anybody ELSE out there that works at a wind tunnel or has personal knowledge of which insurance agent to contact, phone number, etc ? perhaps you have owned or operated one of the old portables back in the day? does anybody know where skyventure gets their insurance ? or I-FLY ? or vegas ? i have called a bunch of people, but it seems like nobody wants to reveal their "sources". WTF ?

i have called a bunch of people, but it seems like nobody wants to reveal their "sources". WTF ?

That's unfortunate. My guesses would be one or all of:
- those businesses are uninsured/under-insured themselves and don't want to let that be known, or
- they're afraid that if other similar businesses use the same insurance carriers, that either their own premiums might go up, or the carriers might get spooked and stop selling the coverage to them, or
- they view you as a competitive threat, so they figure that by not helping you get insurance, you'll have trouble doing business and competing with them. (Sort of like one restaurant owner not being willing to give a few pointers to a competing restaurant owner on how to obtain a liquor license, etc.)

I know that my insurance guy will not touch portables.. they feel the risk is too high. There are other tunnels like myself that they will not touch. It all goes by what they think the risk is. We had to shop hard ourselves when we started out due to some claims that were made against another tunnel years ago. They pulled all the info up in their database. We have good coverage and we pay dearly for it. The price of insurance is way too high in my mind...:S but in this world you have to have it. [:/]

thanx andy. i believe you are correct. one of them flat out told me they were running with no insurance. i would do the same, but i will be renting land, and the owners want the insurance. i believe that if there were enough tunnels together, we might have the clout to get better rates. and with only a few tunnels in the USA, with a population of over 300 million, and hundreds, if not over a thousand miles between tunnels, none of the tunnels are anywhere near being in direct competition with each other. blue skies, bill.

thanks svnh. the machine is "movable", but i intend to set it up at one location and have it there year round. could you tell me who your insurance guy is? i would like to talk to him/her and see if we can work something out. like you said, i have to have it. HELP ! thanx. bill.

Bill, we seem to be in the same boat. I purchased a tunnel and after much work it is ready to fly again. Time and time again insurance has come up, but I do not know where to go. It seems like you have to know who to contat, and if you don't well good luck. Any chance that you could help me out if you have found a source where to get insurance from? Please help me out this is a tuff nut to crack. eamil is [email protected] thanks