svnh

SkyVenture New Hampshire Tunnel Competition

Members of Mass Defiance / Dallas Rogue are working with SkyVenture NH to put together this year's meet. Once again, we putting it together with volunteers to keep the price down for competitors. The meet details are shaping up nicely and I think folks are going to be happy with the improvements and changes from last year. Below is some information and the official announcement with will all the specifics will go out in the new few days.

1. There will be a rookie class event that runs in the morning. This will be a 5 round meet, fee is just $60 for each of the two rookie class competitors and they will get two player coaches (free of charge) to fly with them, help prep the jumps, and keep things safe. Folks can sign up as individuals, but it'll be best if they sign up with me as a pair and with a team name. We're working on reduced fees for rookie competitors who also want to fly in the afternoon intermediate division as well (likely $45 additional). Draw will likely be a bit easier than the intermediate draw - fewer points per round and all randoms. Start time for this event is still in the works, likely around 8:30AM and it should finish by 11:30AM or noon. This class is designed for newer competitors who have limited or no 4-way tunnel experience. No sandbaggers! If you have a Rookie class team that your are organizing with a teammate, let me know the names of the full line-up. The player coaches I'll be assigning to teams will all be folks who have won medals at the national level. If you are interested in volunteering as a player coach, let me know.

2. Fee of just $60 per person for the 10 round Intermediate and Open classes covers the registration, pizza lunch, H20, warm up time, flight time, and a DVD for each team. Intermediate and open teams should plan to be at the tunnel by about 11:00AM and will finish by 8:30PM. Classes will be the same as last year with very similar, if not identical dive pools. All randoms for both classes, blocks 7, 9, and 14 for Intermediate, and blocks 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 14, 15, and 17 for the Open class. Working time of 35 seconds for Rookie and Intermediate will start when the first grip of a star is broken, open team's time will start when they launch from a standing position on the net.

3. I'll be contacting manufactures that supported the event last year this week and hopefully we'll get some new ones on board, too. If you have contacts with manufactures or sponsors you think would like to support the event, please have them email me.

4. There will be a 2-way freefly/VFS meet that will be held on Sunday, Dec. 6th. More details to follow. Ari Perelman will be running the Sunday stuff.

5. Discounted lodging at the Nashua Radisson is available - please contact Laurie at the tunnel (888)SKY-VENTURE for details. rates are around $52 plus tax and there's a pool, gym, free Internet etc. To get that price, all reservations need to go through Laurie - she'll need a credit card, the number of beds and number of rooms, and then will call you back with a confirmation number.

6. Free meet t-shirts for everyone that registers with me (payment goes directly to the tunnel on meet day) by the registration deadline of November 20th.

7. The tunnel will again offer discounted tunnel time during the week prior to the event for registered teams. I'll send out info about booking procedure, exact rates, and the dates as soon as it's finalized.

8. There will likely be New England media covering the event, so come looking sharp!

Registration will likely be limited to 15 teams for the afternoon event (intermediate and open classes) and 9 teams for the rookie class event. We might be able to extend it to 18 teams, but no promises on that. Registration will happen on a first come first serve basis starting right now. No payment necessary before meet day, just your word that your team will be coming. To register, email me your team name, the class you'll be competing in, the full names of all team members, email addresses for all team members, and shirt sizes for all team members. I don't want to even come up with a cancellation policy. Just register when you are sure can make it and show up to make life easy for me.

Lastly - I'm looking for rated judges to help out. Please contact anyone you know with an FS rating (regional or national) and try to get them to help out. Have judges contact me directly to confirm their slot. As with last year, I'm volunteering my time, as is Ari for the freefly stuff. Judges will get fed and get a free t-shirt, but I'm really hoping to get folks to volunteer their time so we can keep the costs down.

The email to use for all FS meet questions and registration is nhtunnelmeet"at"gmail"dot"com.

Blues,
Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

Members of Dallas Rogue/Mass Defiance and SkyVenture New Hampshire will be hosting our second annual formation skydiving tunnel competition on Saturday December 5, 2009. Our goal is to have a fun meet and give 4-way junkies something to hold them over until the snow melts – this meet will also be a great opportunity for folks interested in forming teams for next year to meet potential teammates. There will not be any cash purses, but prizes will include tunnel time and donated prizes from manufacturers. There will also be a 2-way VFS meet on Sunday December 6th. Ari Perelman, who will be the meet director for that event, will send out more details about the VFS meet later this week.

Registration prices this year (for the Saturday FS events) will be $60 per competitor regardless of her/his competition class. Price includes a pizza lunch, bottled water, a DVD of your team’s flights, your meet flights and warm up time, and if you register before the November 20 deadline, a free t-shirt for each team member.

This year, we will be adding in a Rookie Class event that will take place in the morning. This will be a 5 round meet, and two competitors will be paired with two veteran 4-way folks who will serve as “player coaches.” You can either form a team with experienced 4-way competitors from your home DZ, or we will pair you with folks that have won medals in the Advanced or Open classes at USPA nationals (at no additional charge!). Two minutes of practice time will be included in the cost of $60/person ($120 per team). Competitors should be on site by 7:15AM to complete paperwork and payment before the 7:45 briefing and warm up time for the Rookie Class event will be flown from between 8:00 and 8:30AM. The Rookie class meet flights will be completed by 11:30AM, and awards ceremony will happen as soon as the judges can finish (before the Intermediate/Open class meet). Rookie flyers should sign up with as a pair and provide me with a team name. If Rookie class competitors also wish to participate with an Intermediate class team in the afternoon meet, they may do so at a discounted rate of $45, however, the rookie class is designed to give folks that are new to 4-way a chance to get involved – no sandbaggers please!

In the afternoon, there will be an Intermediate and Open class competition. These teams will complete 10 competition rounds. Two minutes of practice time will be included in the meet fee of $60 per person ($240 per team). Teams should arrive no later than 11:00AM to complete paperwork, make payments, and prep their warm up time before the 11:30 briefing. Practice time will be flown before between 12:30PM and 1:30PM. The final briefing and draws will take place immediately after the warm up time. Competition rounds will be completed by 7:00PM, and the awards ceremony will either happen as soon as the judges finish (at about 7:30PM)

The meet will be modeled in NSL fashion for the three divisions of 4-way. The Open class will have 5 to 6 points per round and use a modified dive pool for the meet (all random formation plus blocks 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 14, 15, and 17), the Intermediate class rounds will have 4 to 5 points per round and consist of random formations and a few blocks (blocks 7, 9, and 14), and the Rookie class will have 3 points per round and consist of only random formations. Judges will score each round based on the tunnel video, and it is the team’s responsibility to stay low enough in the flight chamber for the judges to see all the grips in each formation (this means staying well below the top of the door frames of the tunnel). Three teams will enter the tunnel chamber at the same time and then will each complete two separate meet rounds during that flight session. Therefore, teams will have about a two-minute break between round 1 and round 2, and then they’ll exit the tunnel and another three teams will enter the flight chamber. For each meet round, teams will have a one minute flight session to enter the air column, compete their 35 seconds of working time, and then safely exit the air column. Teams will have approximately 45 minutes between each flight session to prep their next two competition rounds.

The maximum number of Intermediate and Open class teams (combined) will be 15 and the maximum number of Rookie class teams will be 9 – teams will be registered on a “first come first serve” basis. To register for the meet, all you need to do is email Ben at NHtunnelmeet”at”gmail”dot”com with the team name, the competition class you will be competing in, the full names of all four team members, each team members email address, and each team members t-shirt size. All payments will be made on site at SkyVenture New Hampshire on the day of the meet. Remember, teams that register before November 20 get a free t-shirts. If your team needs an additional member or two, or you are an individual looking for a team, go to the following google spread sheet:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApFFDKFiX0PedHctZnRiUzRwVEtNLTR1cUJVYVB2bEE&hl=en

There you can enter your information if you are looking to find a team, or look for potential teammates if you are short a person or two for your team. Please be careful not to change or delete any fields besides your own as the changes will get save automatically.

Registered teams will be able to purchase discounted training time from Friday November 27th through Friday December 4th at a rate of $360 per half hour or $660 for hour blocks. If you are flying practice time with your team, it would be good to have the tunnel driver note your airspeed and communicate it to me.

Lastly, discounted rates at the Radisson hotel are available for registered teams. Price is just $52 plus tax per night. To book a room you should contact SkyVenture New Hampshire at (888)SKY-VENTURE and leave a message for Laurie Greer with your check in date, your check out date, how many beds (double or king), your name and phone number, and your credit card number. She’ll book the room and call you back with a confirmation number. The Radisson has a pool, sauna, hot-tub, health club, free internet in the room / wifi in the lobby, full restaurant, bar and more.

We look forward to your participation! Please contact me by email if you have any questions about the event.

Blues,

Ben Liston, Meet Director
NHtunnelmeet”at”gmail”dot”com
http://www.skyventureNH.com
http://www.massdefiance.org

sticks!

We've got 23 registered teams so far for the 4-way FS competition (with two or three of those looking for a fourth teammate).

We have also expanded the Rookie class to a 12 team limit that we are almost full in that category.

Please understand that we have to register teams on a first come first serve basis. I hope we will be able to expand the limits to accommodate everyone, but we may hit capacity for the meet. Contact as soon as you can if you are getting a team together!

Ben

sticks!

Registration is almost full for the event.

We have 12 Rookie teams registered now (which is our current max). We'll look into expanding if there are more teams interested, but can not promise that we'll be able to accommodate more at this point. Please email me at nhtunnelmeet"at"gmail"dot"com to be placed on the waitlist.

We have a total of 17 teams registered for the Int. and Open classes, with two of those teams that are still a member or two short. If you are an individual looking to participate please get your info on the googledocs spreadsheet (link in the post above). If you are a full team interested in participating, please contact me right away to reserve your slot.

Ben

sticks!

Hey Folks,

I made a mistake when posting the discounted time dates, please note the corrected dates below - discounted time is available for teams only between the Monday and Friday before the meet. This was my error and I apologize for any inconvenience.

Registered teams will be able to purchase discounted training time from Friday NOVEMBER 30th through Friday December 4th at a rate of $360 per half hour or $660 for hour blocks. If you are flying practice time with your team, it would be good to have the tunnel driver note your airspeed and communicate it to me.

Ben

sticks!

Registration is currently full with 12 Rookie, 15 Intermediate, and 3 Open teams. I may consider expanding the meet and booking more time if there is interest, but new teams may need to go on a wait list.

Thanks,
Ben

sticks!

Just had one intermediate team withdraw - so there is one open slot for the 10 round afternoon meet (Intermediate or Open). It'll go to the first full line-up that contacts me - email nhtunnelmeet"at"gmail"dot"com ASAP if you get a line-up together.

sticks!

For those of you who did not read the VFS post here it is....

Wow,,,,, It was an awesome event! A big thanks to Ben, Ari, Jim, Butch, Stacey and Sara for all of the help and support that they provided. Also thanks to my staff for working late nights. It was great to see so many people at the event. We will definately plan another one in the future. We are working on a video at the moment of the event and will put details out there when we finish it. I do have master copies of all of the rounds if someone needs one. Please feel free to contact me. We will also be posting photo's of the event and will give you details soon.
On a side note our youngest competitor was Josh Chasse at age 13 and he did a great job. He woke up that morning thinking that he didn't want to go due to nerves... but did and won first place in intermediate. So.. I would also like to thank all of the people that made Josh feel welcome. He is a shy guy and it helped him more than you will ever know.
So thanks again to all of you who came and we look forward to seeing you at the next one!
Blue Skies!