Emmie

How long till you started flying off the net on your head?

So, I'm sort of feeling like I've hit a wall here, hehe...I've got about 9 hours in the tunnel, all freeflying, with the last two being focused on hd. I'm still not flying off the net, and it's pretty much frustrating the hell out of me. Normally, I pick things up pretty quickly, and this has just been a long painful process. It took me an hour to get off the net sitflying, and once I got it, that was it, I got it, and then just worked on body position/flying with people, etc. from then on. (But I was sitflying before I got to the tunnel already, and I've never flown head down in the sky).

I'm still not 100% aware of what my body is doing in an upside down position, I think I'm flying it right, but, after I watch the video of my flailing, clearly I'm not. >:(. Maybe that's the problem? I mean, I definitely see improvement and progression with every session, but it seems to be taking forever! Meanwhile, I've been neglecting other things, I tried backcarving last night, which I could consistently do like a month ago, and which apparently I can't do anymore.

Anyone had similar experiences? Was there a point where you just got it? How long did it take? Any suggestions?

P.s., I work with some of the most amazing tunnel coaches out there...:)

I got off the net after about 3 to 4 hours of hd training. For me, it just finally clicked and I was off the net, but I still have a long ways to go to be a proficient hd tunnel flyer.

Normally the fans are not super fast, to prevent you from hurting yourself if you cork out. The problem with slow speeds is that you really need to work your legs to get enough lift. If you look stable/balanced on the net though, I think the operator will slightly increase the speeds to help you out.

The good news is you can probably fly head down in the sky without corking, although, it might take a few jumps to get adapted.

I spent an hour this past weekend getting off the net, but I'm still sort of tethered to the coach. As soon as he lets go I tense up and stop flying. I have about 6 hours total, 3 of which are HD.

Yeah, I hear you on the frustration thing. It's just a plateau, and it just takes time and practice to get to the next step. Part of it is building the muscles, part of it is muscle memory, part of it is relaxing and flying instead of thinking...

I wish I knew how to make it go faster, but tunnel time is all good time. You're learning whether it shows or not. Have you tried getting a coach and getting on your head in the air? I found that helped my confidence immensely. I can relax better in the air than the tunnel, so flying was easier. Plus you don't have to be perfect, and can have a great skydive with only a couple of docks. I always find myself mentally getting down on myself in the tunnel -- "Damn it, I know I can do this, wtf?!"

Stick with it. Eventually it'll click, same as anything else.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

Took me about 2 hours to get off the net with no previous HD experience (I think that might have actually helped having no bad habits)

I have just over 6 hours most of that sitflying.. I probably tried the front flip to HD transition at least 100 times before it finally just clicked. I still don't have the most stable base yet but im working on range of motion and some turns.
I think ill need another few hours just to become comfortable with a nice neutral relaxed position.

Heres where im at after 2h40m of HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4N1HJj1Vkg
nothing spectacular..its gonna take a while to learn..

I dont mean to get off topic, but some of you have 9 hours of tunnel time!? How the hell are you affording that, or do you know of discounts I do not? I am planning on doing some tunnel time this winter, but am only going to be able to do it once, for an hour, because the price is so steep. Im jealous haha

-Evo
Zoo Crew

The 9 hours are since last December, flying about 15 minutes a week....It's normally 12$ a minute, so it's still expensive as hell, and took a lot of sacrificing of things I normally would have spent that money on...like food for example...The tunnel I fly at (and I think most of them do as well) offers discounted rates for memberships, which helps keep it from being astronomically expensive. If you split your time with someone else, that also helps. Of course you have to get to the point where you can fly in there with other people first.

I dont mean to get off topic, but some of you have 9 hours of tunnel time!? How the hell are you affording that, or do you know of discounts I do not? I am planning on doing some tunnel time this winter, but am only going to be able to do it once, for an hour, because the price is so steep. Im jealous haha

-Evo

Yeah...the 'league' and membership rates offered by some tunnels help.

Additionally, flying with other people is key. I wouldn't have 17 hours' tunnel time if not for my 4-way team. Probably about 6 hours of that is league time, and the rest is 4-way. An hour is much less expensive when split 4 ways.

A problem with freeflying is that it takes a lot of solo time to get good enough in the tunnel to fly with others & start dividing your costs. That's why the league is great - it gives you a regular excuse to go in and work individually on sit/HD/back/transitions, a well as solo belly drills to work on your precision.

On another note, I think the best way to get cheap individual time is to look for some of the tunnels at different boogies during the summer months. I know SVCO was doing that this year, selling 15-minute blocks of coached time for a great price.
Signatures are the new black.

Man, you flying hd very well! I wish I could do this. I finnaly lift of the net and held it for a few seconds at the time. I think I have ~2h of hd training( I really don't count my tunnel time) total of about 4-5h and very spread out. Only go there once or twice a year. That doesn't help for sure. Man I am so stoked and can't wait to go there again and try to improve on newely learned skill! Hope it's sooner than next year :) good luck to everyone! Man it's frustrating at times and hard to keep the moth from cursing out myself :)

I think you can learn just as much "on the net" as "off the net". What's the rush?

I struggle with my awareness in the tunnel and tend to "tense up" off the net but my tunnel coach said that's normal. There's sooooo many good drills to do while still on the net at a slower airspeed.

Why not do those drills first before getting lift off? 360's, switch daffy, 360's are one of my favorite drills. The other one I really like is being held by 2 TI's in an accordian just off the net while I work on my forward/backward. Finding my "stall point" is another favorite.

The guys that got kicked off the last record will tell you that flying super strong in slot is really important. If you think you're stable, have the TI's push you around a bit - see how you counter and react.

I don't think you need to rush getting off the net until you have all the basics down. (I don't mean you personally, just in general.)

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

You are right! It just feels like such a big accomplishment once you lift off on your own.Instructor told me the next step would be to stay on the net and learn other inputs like switched daffy etc which will help in a long run as opposed to being limited by one hd position.

Flying of the net in a controlled manner, moving in any direction, and for a full 2-4 minutes duration ???

Or lifting off the net, flying HD for 5 seconds and bailing out to your back?

To me flying HD in the tunnel is the first not the second description. Theres a big difference between the two and the amount of time it takes to get there.

I gues the normal time is between 1 and 3 hours depending how talented the flyer is.

From zero tunnel time to flying off the net head down in 1 hour? You must have some amazingly talented flyers.

mmm no sorry I meant from the time they're ready to start HD. So first time on the net to lifting in control.

I weigh about 220lbs and work in the Orlando tunnel. If you know much about the Orlando tunnel, that's too heavy to ever lift off the net or hold static HD with the speeds we pull, but I'm a HD flyer. I just have to be moving all the time whether it's stalling or carving. Have you tried learning transitions? Learning back layouts and eventually learning to slow them down enough with your arms until it stops completely in HD is one approach that will teach you more than just HD flying. If you know what a stable HD position feels like on the net, eventually you'll be able to dial in that transition to a standstill. Creative ways to learn can help develop multiple skills at the same time. It can be frustrating but keep at it. It'll come eventually.

I weigh about 220lbs and work in the Orlando tunnel. If you know much about the Orlando tunnel, that's too heavy to ever lift off the net or hold static HD with the speeds we pull, but I'm a HD flyer. I just have to be moving all the time whether it's stalling or carving. Have you tried learning transitions? Learning back layouts and eventually learning to slow them down enough with your arms until it stops completely in HD is one approach that will teach you more than just HD flying. If you know what a stable HD position feels like on the net, eventually you'll be able to dial in that transition to a standstill. Creative ways to learn can help develop multiple skills at the same time. It can be frustrating but keep at it. It'll come eventually.

Im curious to see that, do you have any videos on youtube you could post??
For some reason Im am having one hell of a time getting comfortable flying off the net, its been a long road for me!! Im thinking around 2-3hrs so far. Im a stalky 5'9 195lbs, not sure if that has a little to do with it.....

I really think it has a lot to do with the speed that they set the wind in the tunnel. More importantly, these tunnel instructors want to see that you can BAIL out without running into the wall.

Prove to them that you can bail out and they will put the wind up - is my guess.

At about minute 20, I'm on the net in Orlando wobling back and forth.

At about minute 45, I'm in the Raeford tunnel with Selwyn as he spot me in mid air. With enough speed, I fly stable, and he let's go. No problem but it is a little weird.

At minute 1:05. I'm back in the New Hampshire tunnel wobbling on the net again.

At minute 1:15, the coach set the tunnel at 77% (about 130 mph). Off I went, without any problems and have been hovering since.

But you gotta be able to bail out into a sit without bouncing off of the walls. Key for their confidence (and yours) I would think. [:/]

You will also go through the same wind speed hassles when learning to transition as well.

While doing the half a front loop to head down its pretty easy to track yourself into the wall instead of stalling it half way. So you will want to start at a wind speed where you can learn the transition safely but you wont be able to hold the head down.

It's definitely frustrating to learn but once your able to transition easily you will pick it up quicker because your not wasting so much time resetting on the net..

Prove to them that you can bail out and they will put the wind up - is my guess.

At minute 1:15, the coach set the tunnel at 77% (about 130 mph). Off I went, without any problems and have been hovering since.

Wow 77%! I was flying off the net at 85% this week and I could finally 'feel' the air and what little movement I needed to come up off the net and move around. How much do you weigh because 130mph is really slow??
Yeah I know what your saying about bailing out at high speeds and I've been able to transition to a sit and float back down to the net at any speed.
Its just a slower progression for me compared to me sitflying in the tunnel. But I just recently got a good coach whos doing A LOT more with me in head down, like double legs back and switching up my daffy, so once I can fly off the net proficiently Ill be able to fly all those different positions easier instead of being stuck in one leg position.

Thanks for the vid. Now I see what you mean by stalling and always moving while on your head. Ive seen other people fly like that....
Ive got a good coach now who has got a plan to get me where I want and he has multiple students who he has taken from there bellys all the way to doing 4 way vfs so Ill stick it out with him
Thanks again