SlipstreamBRO

Sky Venture in TN or GA

What would y'all think about putting a tunnel in either Atlanta, GA, Nashville, TN, or Chattanooga, TN?

I am thinking the population centers (Nashville & ATL) would be the most profitable, but Chattanooga could service more of the skydiving community due to the # of DZ's within a 200 mile radius.

I'm just doing some research for the moment, but this is something I am going to try and move forward on it in 2010.

There are two other Co's doing the same research right now. The east side of Nashville/Cookville area would be a place to draw TN, AL, GA, KY and some of NC too.

DZ's that skydivers would come from in TN are at least 4. KY at least three. It would need to be comparable to the XP tunnel as it is the standard to meet now if you want Skydivers to frequent it a lot!

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

To draw on the Nashville Tourists you'll need to make it closer than Chatanooga. The TN, KY etc will travel there, but the Country Western Fans (the major Tourist base) will stay near Nashville.

Who do I send the consult bill too?:P

Matt

An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

What would y'all think about putting a tunnel in either Atlanta, GA, Nashville, TN, or Chattanooga, TN?

I am thinking the population centers (Nashville & ATL) would be the most profitable, but Chattanooga could service more of the skydiving community due to the # of DZ's within a 200 mile radius.

I'm just doing some research for the moment, but this is something I am going to try and move forward on it in 2010.

*cough* Atlanta *cough* ;)
Life doesn't need reasons, just participants.

D.S.#21

I heard from a Tm mate that one will be opening in Nashville...

If you're serious, Atlanta would be the obvious choice. More local population, more local skydivers, more travellers through the area, better access to the busiest airport in the world, better weather, and so on. We've been hearing rumors about tunnel projects here for years, but no one's ever broken ground yet.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Definitely Nashville!!!
The CMA fair, the general tourism
Bonnaroo is close enough, a lot of people pass through on their way to and from.
More colleges than most, possibly all states.
People come in for days at atime for Football games.
Same for the Nascar races.
It would be constant year-round business.
PLUS, Skydivers from Memphis to Bristol, Louisville to Alabama.
Nashville is a perfect medium point.

Look at another point,
Chattanooga would put it close to flyaway and in a competitive location.
Nashville, is far enough away that competition would be minimized.
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

Definitely Nashville!!! There is a Flyaway tunnel in Pigeon Forge, TN but IMO it sucks. Bringing a REAL tunnel to the Nashville area would also help to draw increased skydiving interest and hopefully mean repeat business for you with new jumpers wanting to improve their freefall skills. I fall into that category right now, so seeing this thread makes me really excited at the possibilities! You've got TONS of local colleges and universities to tap into as well...please, please, please.....I want a REAL wind tunnel to help me improve my freefall right in my own back yard!!!

tunnel will never be profitable catering to skydivers. it needs solid tourist base. the questions is where can a tunnel be build so that it can sell as many flights to one time tourists as possible and then fit random skydivers in between. that is, if you want to make any money. and a solid money return is what will be required by whoever is financing the project

good point. yeah, Atlanta is your obvious choice if you're looking for a large surrounding population, but do they attract as many, less, or more tourists than Nashville? that's the real question you'll need to find the answer to...but you're right, the tourist population will be the key...there are many amazing attractions right here in Nashville that I think are cool, but ironically enough I never drive the measly 15 minutes to go and participate simply because of the mentality that "it'll always be there, I'll get to it eventually." the tourists on the other hand indulge because this may be the only opportunity to participate in the attraction for at least a long period of time and thus the immediate desire/will to participate exists allowing the attraction to make a profit off a slew of fanny-pack sportin' tourists ;). either way, i can only dream that the final choice is Nashville...!

You jest but it is not a bad location, but it needs to be right off 24. The nashville tourists, Amry and every one within 3 hours will still be able to get to it.

Most in TN, KY and AL do not like the Atlanta traffic and avoid it in traveling.

But Nashville would probably be better than either of those aside from the obvious up side, I am moving to its east side and it would be great for me!

You jest but it is not a bad location, but it needs to be right off 24. The nashville tourists, Amry and every one within 3 hours will still be able to get to it.

Most in TN, KY and AL do not like the Atlanta traffic and avoid it in traveling.

But Nashville would probably be better than either of those aside from the obvious up side, I am moving to its east side and it would be great for me!

I may be new here, and yet to skydive, (still working on getting the cash for AFF), but one thing i do know is that I, along with everyone from that area will avoid Atlanta like the plague. As far as things like that go, there is nothing i know of anywhere near the area, ive looked, living in western KY for 12 years gets old fast so we try to find more fun and exciting things to do, something like that would be right up a lot of peoples alley. there are a FEW small DZ's but they are not advertised much, so you really have to know they're there to go. Nashville has a HUGE tourist draw, a ton of colleges in the area, combined with absolutely no competition within a few hundred mile radius, means Nashville would be your all around best bet. (Im not saying that because i live near there, now i live in Florida now. :] )
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I used to live in Nashville, and now live in Atlanta.

ATL has a bigger population, but not the right demographic for a wind tunnel.

Nashville has an insane tourist population, plus (I think) the highest concentration of Colleges in the country. Young population. I think that anywhere from Chattanooga, along I-24 W, to Kentucky would be a good location for a tunnel. Its a reasonable location for toursits from Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Nashville... and not too far from the ATL skydiving population. Might even draw some skydiving talent to this part of the country.. who knows..

With the recent uprise of the sLyride Wind tunnel websites, What are the possibilities that this is somehow affiliated with sLyride? It can be great or bad depending on the confirmed answer to that question.
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

If skyride decides to build and operate a wind tunnel, will they charge extra for higher speed air flow? :D

WOW! I wonder if they would charge extra for the extra altitude????:o
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

If skyride decides to build and operate a wind tunnel, will they charge extra for higher speed air flow? :D

Probably. Plus another $10 to fly in the BIG tunnel, after the regular one turns out to be a leaf blower. ;)

But seriously - Atlanta, as long as it's not another goddam Skyride ripoff operation. I know of a nice piece of land near the big airport. The previous development plan failed and the land's been sitting idle for 10+ years.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan