nigel99

Check-in debate

the dropzone wher this incedent happend.
is my home dz and we never want to deal with this isseu again.
we started a check in procedure on the next jump day after the suicide.
there is a "jumpmaster" every load who will check on his load if every body checked of the load sheet. if not checked in there will be an pa call and after that the dz shuts down and a search will start
danny
toet toet food driver

Good luck with that. Seriously. Let us know how it goes, and if this procedure stands after a few incidences of shutting down the operation to start a search on a busy weekend day for just some otherwise (as is almost literally "normal" amongst us) errant dumbass, or the "jumpmaster" just misses 'em and he/she heads home, out of touch, etc.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Meh... we've been doing that for years without a problem.

Based on this discussion, I had a chat with our DZSO about check ins. He has seen a few things tried over the years, with varying levels of success.

However, from a practical point of view, it is fairly clear that solo jumpers are the 'at risk'. Students, tandems and teams all have someone else watching their back.

My understanding is that the UK has a 'load master' role, which probably marries up very well with monitoring check in and out. Manifest staff are generally swamped with 'other' issues, ground staff and instructors are usually run off their feet, looking after their primary tasks. I'd be curious to know more about the logistics of how it works in the UK?
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

As far as I understand it (as a noob) you have one person at DZ control (the cattle pen) who gets the manifest sheet for the load. Jumpers get a flightline check and then either sign to say that thay've had it (B licence and above) or someone else signs for it (A licence and students).

DZ control then know how many jumpers at which altitudes (how many canopies) and is in constant radio contact with the A/C. The pilot tells DZ control when they've dropped people at each alti and how many (eg 3 jumpers out) and as the canopies open DZ control counts them (also observes for cutaways). As each one lands they get ticked off on the manifest sheet until all jumpers are down. If for any reason a canopy doesn't open or there's a cutaway with an off-landing then someone can be moving within minutes to start searching.

As I say this is just my impression as a low jump number noob based on the way things are done at my club. Other clubs may have different procedures in place.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

Different UK DZs have different ways of doing things. A small cessna place may just keep an eye on who is walking back in. Bigger turbine DZs with multiple planes typically require the jumpers to check back in.

The DZ has a list of who was on what load (either paper or computer) at a point where nearly everyone has to walk past and you check your name as you walk back in. Sometimes 1 person may sign off their team etc as long as you know they are down safe.

Normally, if someone is missing the DZ calls them a lot on the PA, then saying that they will have to shut down if they don't appear (so others are also looking for them now). When they re-appear the DZO or CCI gives them a good talking to, reminding them to check in. I have not known a DZ to have to shut down and call in emergency services for someone who just forgot to check in.

Blue skies

Paul

I visited Zhills this month for 2 weeks. They did a great job of trying to find everyone that might have landed off or were unaccounted for on a load that had some off field landings. They put a lot of time and effort into finding everyone and getting them back to the DZ. They went way beyond what I have seen at other DZs to locate “off” jumpers. My hat is off to the staff for their consistant efforts.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

The best system I ever saw was at a mid-sized DZ I visited some years back.

At manifest you were given a little tag with your name on it which you stuck in your pocket until staging to board the aircraft.

There was a slot board there with cup-hooks that you hung your tag on, when you landed you grabbed your tag off the board.

Any tags remaining had the name of the jumper on it & a PA was made to both retrieve your tag and then stop by manifest to pay the beer fine for NOT retrieving your tag...:ph34r:

2 or 3 PA's unanswered and operations were halted until everything was straightened out.

IIRC it was a 5.00 beer 'tax' for not getting your tag off the board in a timely manner which promoted compliance. B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I think miners use a very similar system. I wish there was more of that in action around the country. It would t be a big deal, you just needs a board and tokens, manifest doesn't even need to run it.

We could have a whole side business in logo tokens...like pull ups.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com