shah269

Free Fall Niagara, and a dumb question

Free Fall Niagara, and a dumb question

Just wanted to say I had a great time! Amazing staff, great location and heaps of fun! Thanks guys!

Also guys, I really liked the experience but had a hard time getting up in the air at 180lbs.
I was “jumping” from the side lines on to the center as instructed. However my momentum seemed to have the better of me and I would slide across the center and right on the other side.
I’m heading up to Montreal this week, and am planning on hitting up their tunnel any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Is that tunnel a modern tunnel (recirculated / Sky Venture) or is it the old style like Pigeon Forge / Vegas?
If it's the older style than that is why you were having issue's. Those tunnels are harder to fly in since you only have a small area to work with and they are not very powerful.
I would try to get to a more modern tunnel and you will learn a lot more from it.

HU?
Well since I'm no expert......I may hve to say recirculated. And the only reason I say that is because the roof was closed.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

At Niagara you're launching from a floor of cushions around the air column, right? The airflow tends to be faster in the center relative to the edges, much more so than in the "real" tunnels. That makes it harder to stay in the flow.

At Montreal and all other "real" skydiving tunnels, you enter from a doorway and the air flow goes right to the walls of the chamber.

In the "real" tunnels, you want to drop forward into the airflow without a big push, otherwise you tend to get too much momentum going and sail off to hit the opposite wall.

At Niagara you're launching from a floor of cushions around the air column, right? The airflow tends to be faster in the center relative to the edges, much more so than in the "real" tunnels. That makes it harder to stay in the flow.

At Montreal and all other "real" skydiving tunnels, you enter from a doorway and the air flow goes right to the walls of the chamber.

In the "real" tunnels, you want to drop forward into the airflow without a big push, otherwise you tend to get too much momentum going and sail off to hit the opposite wall.

YES! I was jumping from the cushions, arms stretched and legs almost straight out. As I came to the center I would pull my feet back in hopes of slowing down my forward speed but it never really worked unless the instructor grabbed me and slowed me down.

Also here is a dumb one, on one of the "flights" I became stable climbed about 2m off the ground and all of a sudden began to decend right to the floor....what caused that? I didn't chage body position? Did I just fall from the center?

In the type of tunnel the air column is shaped like a bell curve (or a cone since it's 3d). If you're not exactly on the tip of that cone you can easily "slide" down the side of it. If you move off the tip fast enough you'll just drop (hence all of the padding around it). You spend more time and energy trying to stay in the center of the airflow than you do practicing any skills. That's why the Skyventure type tunnels are better for pratcing skydiving skills. The column of air goes from wall to wall so there's nothing to fall off of (unless you fall in one of the doors but that's why they have a spotter in with you).

Ahhhhh! OK! Thanks!

Hi,

The Skyventure Montreal tunnel is much easier to fly than the Niagara tunnel which is similar to Flyaway technology.

While Niagara is still fun, skydivers will have a much better learning experience in general with the Skyventure technology, which you will encounter in Montreal! See if you can afford to purchase a 15 minute block of time, and tell them you're a skydiver-in-training, still in AFF.

15 minute block of time!
Man I'm going to be stripping for a lot of old ladies!
The 3 min of flight time set me back $70.
But we'll see.

I was looking at the videos of my little flights....boy do I look like a moron!
Any how what is the best way to get in the air.
Should I be jumping up on the air or should I "fall" on the air?

They will teach you how to enter the tunnel when you get there. In addition there will be a spotter in the tunnel to help you.

They told us to jump in. Not the easiest thing to do and very hard to loose forward speed and thus find stability when jumping forward.

15 minute block of time!
Man I'm going to be stripping for a lot of old ladies!
The 3 min of flight time set me back $70.
But we'll see.

Buying tunnel time in 3 minute blocks is like paying tandem rates for all your jumps. The price per minute comes down rapidly when you buy larger chunks.

A skydiver 15 minute block cost about $250. (About $16 per minute, compared to the $23 per minute you're paying now)

For me who likes RW, it gets even cheaper: If 4 skydivers buy an hour (like buying a 15 minutes block for each) all 4 skydivers can share the time -- 1 hour of 4 ways formation skydiving in the Skyventure Montreal chamber. 60 minutes of chamber time for the price of just 6 to 10 jump tickets!

If you're tight, try upgrading to a 5 minute block. It may actually pay for itself in saving you from having to do an AFF rejump.

They will teach you how to enter the tunnel when you get there. In addition there will be a spotter in the tunnel to help you.

They told us to jump in. Not the easiest thing to do and very hard to loose forward speed and thus find stability when jumping forward.
This is normal for Niagara/Flyaway tunnels, but Skyventure is a different beast -- you just lean in. The spotter will help you -- so don't worry :-)

Different tunnels have different entry procedures...
You will be surprised how quickly you'll adapt to Skyventure Montreal, and start kicking yourself for not having gotten 5 or 10 minutes instead of 3. You should be able to fly in the center of a Skyventure in just the first minute, if you've already done 3 AFF jumps.

In fact, in 2005, I'd have give up one AFF jump for one month, just to pay for 15 minutes of Skyventure tunnel time. It's actually that worthwhile. :)
Even if you stick to just 3 minutes, remember to inform the tunnel that you're a skydiver in AFF.

Niagara is designed as a tourist attraction...and they do not particularly want skydivers there, and that came straight from the manager/owner's mouth.

Don't waste your time or $ there if you're looking to get some 'skydiving experience' from a tunnel.

Montreal is well worth the drive. You'll gain soooo much more there than you would in Niagara....it's just 2 different technologies. I can go on and on....

Thats my 2 cents worth....

Cheers

If at first you don't succeed....then Skydiving is not for you!

Niagara is designed as a tourist attraction...and they do not particularly want skydivers there, and that came straight from the manager/owner's mouth.

WOW really!
They were very nice to me and it was good fun.

yes, really

that tunnel is a tourist trap carnival ride

I can't say anything nice about the owners either, but I can say that the Labour Board decided against them when some of their former employees filed a claimed for unpaid wages... B|

Don't waste your time or money there if you have any interest in skydiving, go to the nearest dropzone, they have awesome staff and it will be the real thing.

Just looking at
http://www.skyventuremontreal.com/
and yes I have to admit that that tunnel seemed more turbulant than the one in Montreal.
I look forward to giving it a shot on Friday.

Just looking at
and yes I have to admit that that tunnel seemed more turbulant than the one in Montreal.

Be noted, Montreal just opened in April so you will see some unfinished fittings here and there -- it's a brand spanking NEW tunnel, one of the smoothest-running vertical wind tunnels in the world.

Just looking at

Wouldn't New Hampshire be closer to you?

Just looking at

Wouldn't New Hampshire be closer to you?

Because I'm here now, mini vacation with the boys.
Will be there tomarrow with my three other mates. So should be fun!