Emmie

Full face vs open face helmets?

Do you have a preference, if so why? I freefly in the tunnel and have been using my bonehead except for head down (I wear a protec when my head is on the net so I don't scratch my own helmet, and I HATE protecs!) Lately, I've been thinking about getting a used Factory Diver just for the tunnel...Are there any advantages to a fullface over an open face helmet? My own reasons for wanting to switch to a fullface are a little silly...other than the fact that I don't like my face flapping in the wind, I don't want to get tunnel induced wrinkles:)

I've only done belly flying in the tunnel, and just recently got a full-face. I love it and can't imagine any reason I'd go back to an open-face. Reasons:

1) It's quieter.
2) I'm less worried about getting kicked/elbowed in the face.
3) I'm less likely to end up with "tunnel snot-face," which often happens a few blocks into a session, and I spend the rest of the time wiping snot off my nose/face (because let's face it, once your nose starts running in the tunnel, it's going to end up all over your face:D:S). Doesn't seem to really matter what the weather is or whether I'm congested, my nose just starts running after getting blasted with air for that long. Full face solves that problem.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

If you're just doing a 10 or 15 minute session, in and out kinda thing, then I wouldn't worry about what you're wearing in there. You can just slap on a protec. Personally, when I was flying a lot, I didn't like to use the protec's too much because my hair escaped from the top holes and got so knotted up that I had to cut it out on a few occasions. Me and the girls who worked the counter at the tunnel would try to keep a bandana around to line the helmet so your hair doesn't fly through the holes, but it still happens. A full face is quieter and nicer (in terms of being warmer) in the winter time for an open tunnel, but cuts down on the communication factor since the only thing other than hand signals is getting really good at reading lips when you fly a bunch, which is tougher to do with a full face over your lips.

For your goggles fogging with an open face, try spitting on them and rubbing that around on the inside (I know that sounds nasty, but it works) or look into getting some "cat crap" goo that free divers and scuba divers use on their goggles.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

I don't think I can find a protec that fits my head as well as my own helmet does, plus they're uncomfortable and your hair gets sucked out. I've been wearing an underarmour ghetto hat for the last few times I've gone, and that sort of helped with the tangling. And yes, I've tried every type of goggle out there, vented and non-vented. I fly every week, so a full face is probably going to be a good investment. Plus...it will keep away the the wrinkles and help with the snoggles!!!!:P

Getting kicked in the face is part of an important feedback mechanism. How else will your instructor convey that you have done something incorrectly?
If you wear a full face, you neutralize this important learning tool. I recommend sticking with the open face helmet.

I've only done belly flying in the tunnel, and just recently got a full-face. I love it and can't imagine any reason I'd go back to an open-face. Reasons:

1) It's quieter.
2) I'm less worried about getting kicked/elbowed in the face.
3) I'm less likely to end up with "tunnel snot-face,"

What she said, plus, i just find if flying for say an hour or so in the tunnel it gets really uncomfortable to wear goggles for that long (I wear contact lenses so am paranoid about having goggles tight if i do wear them).

P.S. we wear Z1s and you can see smiles just fine
P.P.S it looks cooler, I mean, where are your priorities??:ph34r:
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I'd stick with the ProTec. You are FAR more likely to encounter a wall with your head in the tunnel than in the sky, and the ProTec is designed to protect whatever you might keep in your head from that sort of encounter batter than your average skydiving helmet.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I have my Z1 for over 8 years now, over 100 hours tunneltime and it NEVER opened. I can't imagine flying with an open face helmet in winter (open tunnel) anymore. Only when flying with camera I use an FF2, or sometimes in summer no helmet at all...

My Z1 has a deep groove on the chin part (~1mm deep) from a hard impact with the net. This groove would probably be in my chin with an open face helmet.

Z1 is a great helmet, if it fits well.

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

So my 2nd camp I was still wearing my FF helmet (Mindwarp) in the tunnel for Mantis practice....

During a drill I tool a huge shot to the chin from my teammate's knee and it rang my bell something good (and I've taken some good shots when I was competing in marial arts, and this was better than any of them).

The attendant watched me, and as soon as I shook it off and grinned at him, he grinned back a stepped back from the entry.

I had a Z1 on order within a week. It's fantastic and I wish I had tried one years before.

Other question - I've had a Z1 for nearly 8 years and a dozen tunnel camps, etc and have never had the visor open on me unexpectedly.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I am flying with my glasses on, so I choose to use full face FreeZR MK2 helmet. I started with Protec and regular goggles, but during cold time, I fly in open air AAC tunnel, it was a such horrible experience. Kinda cold and all that junk from nose was always all over my face. It turned out that I have an allergy to that such intense air speed. Then I started to use a full face helmet and was absolutely happy for some time until summer. It is so hot in this thing, so i started to wear Protec for the half of the session again. Even with this mix, I vote for the full face, it saved my face from several scratches.

I have a Z1 as well, and have never had the visor open or any issues with it. I fly belly, sit, and head down so it has been in there with some pretty high speeds. I will say that we switched out the bungee it came with to the type that is used to keep leg straps together, to make sure it doesn't slide off my head.

My nose can't handle the high speeds and which causes me to get nose bleeds, so I have gaffers tape on the top of my helmet to prevent scratches on it when I do head down stuff on the net.
Fly it like you stole it!

after breaking my nose last night i would recommend a fullface.

I would recommend one before breaking his nose - but that's just me

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Full face. I have a Factory Diver that I use specifically for the tunnel. I sometimes look at how dirty the lens gets (bugs, scrapes from the walls, smudges from people's feet) and am glad that's ending up on the lens and not my face.

I find the cheaper non-openable-lens helmets work fine, since your helmet is either on or off. No need to "open the lens" as there is in an airplane ride (i.e. for takeoff, or to talk to someone who is spotting or something.)

Thanks for all your comments! As a follow up, I got a Z1, and flew with it for the first time last night, and it was freakin awesome! I can't believe I waited this long to get one! It was totally quiet, my face didn't hurt, and I think I could focus more on what I was doing!:)

Love my Z1,keeps it nice and quiet,never opened on me in freefall(not that i have a ton of jumps)and puts a hault on snot rockets!;) Plus i think they look badass.Also never fogs up on me, and very easy to open once under canopy just takes a few times to break it in.

"Never go full retard"

Getting kicked in the face is part of an important feedback mechanism. How else will your instructor convey that you have done something incorrectly?
If you wear a full face, you neutralize this important learning tool. I recommend sticking with the open face helmet.

While my instructor spotted my first half back flip to head down, I conveyed my ability to follow through on the maneuver by planting my left knee directly onto his face causing lip and nose damage. He got the point. Open face all the way.

---
Seriously though.

I have an open face and am switching to a full face. My full will be here next week and I'm looking forward to the quiet. The lack of wind up my nose and of course a clean slate for more stickers.

I'll post a quick review of the full face after I fly it.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I always used an open face when i started, but after hitting the wall a few times learning back layouts, I changed to a full face,
Although I think it was only psycological, I had more confidence in the full face knowing that if I did come into contact with the wall I wouldn't break my nose!
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

I only have a little over 2 hours in the tunnel and already I have been kicked in the face and kicked people in the face. I am definitely glad I have a full face. Just my 2 cents. Also, it is a Factory Diver and it works great.
Is it bad when I am consistently dreaming about skydiving?