shah269

Weight and Wind Tunnel Question

Do wind tunnels have a weight restriction?
And if so what is it? I have a + sized friend who I think would enjoy this but at almost 280lb.......I doubt that the column of air will support his mass.
Any help would be appreciated thank you!
Shah
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

FreeZoneMoscow
Allows 4 mean do VRW-vertical relative work at the 12 feet tunnel(total weight 210-240kg) ,Couse its over 1050HP Strong,
there ll be no problem about launching up to 280lbs man with a coupla Pro Instructors in it, Not a problem for FreezoneMoscow.

Best Time, Price and Place are here!

FreezoneMoscow, Your Indoor SkyDiving Choice #1
Vadimus Koro,
+420 775 416 854
Www.SkydiveArena.info

I am pretty sure that lifting up four people with total weight of 240 kg is not the same as to lift one individual with half of this weight, more actually.

I am not extreme flier, but I know for sure that with my 240 lbs I cannot hang with three others guys 150 lbs each. Of course we can do that, but I need to be flat as hell or airspeed must go up and these guys need to bend in half then or wear some weight. At AAC we tried 3-4 way flight when I was on my belly and others either sit flying or knee flying. That the difference.

Well this is just one guy, and I'm thinking of taking him up to Montreal.
Let's see if it works out!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Well this is just one guy, and I'm thinking of taking him up to Montreal.
Let's see if it works out!

SkyVenture Montréal - our restriction is normally 250 lbs, however, the final decision will be the one of the instructor that will be taking your friend. I would suggest trying to arrange that ahead of time.
Olga

FreeZoneMoscow
Allows 4 mean do VRW-vertical relative work at the 12 feet tunnel(total weight 210-240kg) ,Couse its over 1050HP Strong,
there ll be no problem about launching up to 280lbs man with a coupla Pro Instructors in it, Not a problem for FreezoneMoscow.

Best Time, Price and Place are here!

FreezoneMoscow, Your Indoor SkyDiving Choice #1

http://www.tunnelflight.com/pages/flyers/flyer.php?id=99999

Please take a look at first checkbox in Flyers Rating Chart - MAXIMUM 250 lbs if over 6 feet. An certified IBA instructors will think twice before flying with person who is more than 250 lbs - it could be VERY unsafe as for flyer and of course for the instructor. So it could be problem for Freezone Moscow, because the safety first.

Do wind tunnels have a weight restriction?
And if so what is it? I have a + sized friend who I think would enjoy this but at almost 280lb.......I doubt that the column of air will support his mass.
Any help would be appreciated thank you!
Shah

Shah,

Even if the air column will be enough to support the person, please try to imagine that the more windspeed the harder for the instructor to stay close to the flyer and perform his work effectivelly. Another one aspect is the shoulder joint that will be loading exptremely on the high windspeed.
Hope this helps you. Good luck!
Ivan

You may be hard pressed to find an instructor willing to fly that person. Or I should hope so. One thing an instructor should be committed to is putting them selves in harms way to prevent injury to the flier, and that includes making spots (catches) should the student get out of control. There has been more than one instructor seriously injured through making spots on heavy students.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

it all depends on the size and body type... given 280 lbs is heavy but it all depends on the weight distribution. it is easier to fly someone who is 6' 280lbs as opposed to someone who is 5' 280lbs. there are different techniques for flying bigger pple. but it comes down to the instructor, he/she is the one that has to spot him if something goes bad, so usually the instructor makes the final call (at least thats how we do it in Orlando). i recommend taking your friend to the tunnel and having an instructor size him up and he/she will let you know if he will fly him or not. I have personally flown plenty of pple in that weight range and heavier, the tunnel has the power to lift them so long as they maintain a correct body position (and by correct i dont mean 'legs bent, arms at a 90deg. angle and arch', its more like 'legs straight, arms fwd maybe slighty bent and the belly makes for a natural arch so no need for more') hope this helps...
Life is all about experiences...
Luck, is when opportunity and preparation meet...

Hey
Everyone makes good points but the major point is the safety of the flyer. Most likely the instructor can handle a 280lb student. The safety aspect is that it puts a great deal of stress on the 280lb flyers shoulders. If the flyer is Magic Johnson and 350 but built like a rock then its fine but if not then the shoulders can dislocate and that is painful and bad.

Would an instructor be more likely to do it with an experienced jumper? I've been wingsuiting for so long that I've gotten rusty on RW, and since we're taking my wife to get some time, I thought I might try to get some refesher training since RW is coming back into vogue at my dz.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."