philh

air to air radios

Do they work very well at NH???

First thing I thought of when I read this post was, how noisey it is in the Tunnel.

I'd assume you would need to remove earplugs to hear the two way radio. Even mounted inside the helmet I'd think the tunnel noise would make it hard to hear.

I'll agree with Kris on this one. It's not the device that matters, but who's using it and how it's used. I've seen good coaches/instructors use it well but the bulk communication happens before the flier is ever in the air, and it's only used for short one or two word "reminders". When a long communication happens you literally watch the flier stop flying, sink to the net, and focus on listening. Is that really how someone should be spending $10 a minute?

In AFF I've seen the same thing. It's very valuable for a one word reminder like "arch" or "legs" for a student who is very overwhelmed. It takes a step out of the translation needed with a hand signal. But beyond that it's effectiveness for a student is questionable.

In the tunnel a good briefing, between flight communications, and simple hand signal reminders are similarly effective.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The air to air radio's do work well. We purchased them for our wedding in the tunnel and they did an awesome job! I have used them for coaching and at first it seems a little strange to actually hear someone talking to you instead of reading lips or looking for body or hand signals. But I have to say they do speed up the process. If you come to our tunnel and want to try them just let me know in advance so I make sure that batteries are nice and fresh. They are put into regular ear plugs. It does cut out a bunch of guessing and wondering what the person may be trying to tell you if you are not familiar with the coaching style.
If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them.
Blue Skies!

I've never used them, but this system has been tested and is used in skydiving and in the tunnel. Remember it was advertised it in Parachutist and Skydiving a few years back? As Laurie said, the mini speaker goes into a noise reducing ear plug and that block as much as 25-28 Db of wind noise, so you can hear the speaker clearly.

I have no doubt that this system would work very well for coaching - tunnel or skydiving. So many times i've seen people not understanding what the instructor wants from them... and even after you learn to kinda read lips, sometimes I still find myself wondering "What the hell did he just tell me to do?" :)

The system is expensive to buy, due to the special microphone and some parts, but to rent it shouldn't be too bad. I think it would be a good investment and maximize the returns of a training session, especially when someone is already spending money by hiring a good coach.

Ive already used air to air radios and they are awesome. However good a coaches gestures are, they are never as good as a human voice. Ive found I can hear them most of time inside the tunnel and not just when the wind is turned down.
The onlly reaosn I ask I may be doing some travelling round the world and would like to drop by some tunnels that use in air coms, Im amazed at how few people have adopted this excellent technology.

You need to get your drinking problem under control, it's embarrassing EVERYONE... stick to reeses.

having been on the receiving end of wired and unwired coaching- being wired can definitely benefit, but if the radio goes out and you're dependant on it, you've just wasted coaching time. As with everything in life, finding a balance is always good. radios are definitely not necessary, but if someone that can use it well is present, try it out and see how you like it. I tend to plateau a lot so I'm working on switching my routine around some to stay f-f-fresh.

Kris- wanna grab a drink after I get off work? :P

So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983