Jadera

Skydiver changing the speed of fan?

Hello everybody!

Anyone have any experience with wind tunnels where it is possible for skydiver to change the speed of fan (during his routine in the tunnel)?????

If not, what do you think about that idea, as i found out that one wind tunnel (currently under construction) will have exactly that. Apparently it will be a small electronic device placed on the hand of skydiver!!!

thanks

I don't understand the necessity of it. Are you not enough confident in safety instructor's or controller's duty?

And i other hand, you will spend the same amount of time to give the sign to instructor (controller) or to correct the wind speed by yourself.

Good luck!

Anyone have any experience with wind tunnels where it is possible for skydiver to change the speed of fan (during his routine in the tunnel)?????

We always do this ... with hand signals. Works perfectly well.
I wouldn't wanna fly in a tunnel without someone in the operating (although we've done it many times :S).

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

The idea sounds interesting, but I'd be curious how practical it would work. Most of the time I'm flying, I'm too preoccupied with what I'm doing to focus on adjusting the wind speed myself. I also use my hands for taking grips and wouldn't want to accidently hit the device. The only times I could see myself using something like that is when I'm coaching, but then I'll just tell the controller and instructor so we're all on the same page.

There's also the issue of who would use it. Tunnel instructors wouldn't want most people using them. I've seen people do so many scary things in tunnels because they just don't know any better. Imagine these people being able to control their own wind speed? It would be an instructor's nightmare! Right now someone can ask for more wind and the instructor simply won't give it to them.

I can see it being fun to use something like this for very few people who get the ok from the tunnel and the instructor.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

i think thats a great idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even better, there should be a button that opens up the turning vains so ppl get sucked into the fans and chopped up if they suck.

they don't allow skydivers to control the air speed for safety reasons. mostly because skydivers pound themselves into walls (or net) at the lower/slower settings, like 65%. thats why instructors and controllers limit/control the speed. in essence they save you from yourself.
"your the shit till you eat it !!!!!!!! damn that wall hurts..."

The way it currently works for experienced tunnel flyers, and this is usually the safest. You cannot control the airspeed directly but you CAN signal the tunnel operator to control the airspeed for you while you fly, assuming they are familiar with your experience with the tunnel airspeed you're requesting on the fly.

Long answer below:

It can be done upon request, under controlled conditions, to test a persons' fallrate range: How slow they can fall, and how fast they can fall.

It's typically done like this. Before entering the waiting area, notify the tunnel operator that there will be a planned fallrate range test (coach does this).

In one of the rotations (typically 2 minutes), the coach will wait for you to be in the middle, and then when you're ready, flying at waist height, the coach signals the tunnel operator to crank the speed down and up, while you try to maintain your level. They slowly adjust the wind speed until you struggle to stay level. (Falling to net at slow airspeed, or slowly drifting upwards at fast airspeed). They repeatedly test the upper range and lower range of your fallrate. Sometimes the coach asks you to do some motion exercises (i.e. 360's) near the upper limits and near the lower limits of your fallrate range. This tests your body's ability to fly at extremes of fallrate range. Your comfort zone typically is somewhere in the middle between these two extremes.

With some body form exercises, and further practice, the tunnel can re-test your fallrate range another time to see if you now have a wider fallrate range (a good thing)

This is not usually done on a first timer, but after about half an hour of tunnel training, and with an appropriate coach (usually an RW coach, like Perris Fury or Canada's Team Evolution, etc), especially if it is requested by the skydiver.

I've specifically requested this fallrate range test four times in the past; to see if my slow-fall skills has improved (slow fall is quite a pain in the ass in the tunnel, but it's an essential skill to improve, for big ways)

Now -- once you're experienced enough, you can stare at tunnel operator, and finger-up or finger-down to request tunnel speed changes. It's best that you fly close to the net and very stable, when you signal the tunnel operator -- basically this signals you're very able to stay close to the net despite the current tunnel speed. The tunnel operator will be reluctant to crank up the the speed of the tunnel while you're flying high (except to crank down the speed slightly). If you fly too high too often (even if intentionally), the tunnel operator WILL often crank down the wind speed, so if you don't want the tunnel operator to slow down the air, definitely stay low (waist or chest height is common). Obviously, the tunnel operator will be more trusting and abrupt in speed adjustments if they've seen you fly often; especially for hours, and are very familiar with your tunnelflying skills. And if other coaches frequently signalling speed increases for you, then they're more likely to listen to you to crank the speed when you signal a "finger-up" while staring at the tunnel operator. If they don't think you can fly well at the cranked-up speed, they just ignore your request.

This is a good idea, up until the point where some sky god really hurts themselves or others they are flying with. So many people walk on up to the tunnel and think because they have X amount of hundreds or thousands of skydives that they can hop in and start freeflying topped out. Seriously, leave the speeds up to the trained instructors and drivers. When you can fly topped out, you'll fly topped out and won't have to worry about having a clicker in your hands, and if you can't, well... then you shouldn't have a controller in your hands for the speeds. :S

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

You cannot control the airspeed directly but you CAN signal the tunnel operator to control the airspeed for you while you fly,

Small point, but it's far better all around to signal your speed requests to the instructor in the chamber (usually standing in the doorway), rather than the controller. Most controlers will defer to the judgment of the instructor who is responsible for the safety of the fliers anyway.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.