degeneration

Wind tunnels world wide

Some of you may have seen, others may not, that I've set up a website that provides a database of the cost of jump tickets worldwide (linked to in my sig).

Well after some requests, I've added a Wind tunnel section. It works exactly the same as the dropzones section.

The prices are based on a standard 60 mins in the tunnel at peak and off peak times. These prices can then be converted into one of the listed currencies to compare the cost of the tunnels in one currency.

Once the database gets filled, it could provide info for a tunnel in your holiday destination country... fancy 15, 30, 60 mins in the tunnel while the other half does something else? my site can give you a guide on how much it'll cost. Or maybe you can plan a holiday around a foreign country's tunnel...

So if you've used a tunnel recently, please add it to the site so that everyone can benefit.

Cheers.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Nice idea!

You might consider adding more fields to your DB for diff't tunnel specs (horsepower, # of doors, indoor/outdoor, etc), as well as notes. For instance, at the tunnel I fly in, their advertised rate is one thing...but if you buy from them at a boogie, you get a huge discount.

(Some tunnels also charge you for DVDs, etc, and some don't - those sorts of perks can add up.)

Again, great idea. :)
**edited because I looked again and saw you already had a place for 'tunnel diameter'...

Signatures are the new black.

Hey, cheers for the feedback.

Like with the dropzones section, there are loads of variables that I could put in, but I want to keep it as simple as possible.

I imagine with all tunnels, if you know who/where/when to buy time you can get it cheaper that the advertised price, but if I was going on holiday to Moscow for example, I doubt I'd know/find the people to talk to to get it cheaper - especially if I decide on the spur of the moment to have some tunnel time. I imagine the relative discounts will all be fairly similar from tunnel to tunnel, so a price comparison would still possibly give you a decent ranking order, even if not the actual absolute price you'll pay.

Horsepower is something that I'm not sure people adding tunnels on to the site are going to know. I didn't know the diameter of Airkix in the UK for certain and I've been there, so if I don't know that chances of knowing the horsepower would be slim.

Indoor/outdoor would be a reasonable addition... I like it being simple as it is just now, but will consider this one.

Cheers.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Seems we're thinking of your resource in 2 different ways - you're thinking specifically of people going on vacation and looking for a place to fly, while I'm thinking that people could use your site as a one-stop wind tunnel info resource.

If I'm going on holiday and looking for a tunnel, true, I might just want to know what the base rate is. But if I see that I can get a lower price at X boogie (that happens to be coming up at my DZ in a few weeks), I'll make it a point to hit up that boogie. Or if there's a promo going on, I'll try and schedule my time during that promo.

Or there's the other dilemma - I used to live in L.A., and the Perris tunnel versus the Hollywood tunnel both had drastically different prices, programs and amenities. If I could find out about them both at the same place, I'd save myself the time of visiting both their sites (Perris used to do 'Meeker Mondays', whereas the Hollywood tunnel has a 'frequent flyer account' thing set up...etc, etc).

As for HP, yeah, usually only the tunnel instructors/mgmt know that sort of thing...but if I was a heavier freeflyer, I definitely wouldn't want to go to certain tunnels that wouldn't be able to push enough air.

But I can certainly respect your preference for minimalism. I wouldn't expand it without a good reason. Just thought I'd share another perspective. ;)

Like I said, great idea, and for your purposes, it delivers just what you need. Good luck!

Signatures are the new black.

What you're saying is definitely food for thought...

I could put a notes section up like I have with the dropzones, and in that section people could write that discount time will be available at wherever. My main concern with that is that people may write that cheap tiime will be available at some upcoming boogie or something, the boogie comes and goes and nobody re-edits the info, so the site then has information that is months out of date.

The main thing I don't want is the site to become viewed as being an out of date resource.

My view is also that the more info people have to enter, and the more frequently it has to be entered (for the time specific bits of info), the less likely people are to take the time to input the info.

I'll give it a thought though and see if there's something that works for me

Cheers again for the feedback. :)

Very belatedly and apologies for taking so long to get round to this, I have now added a notes section to the wind tunnels. In there you can put any other info to do with the tunnel that you think is relevant.

So the number of doors, inside/outside, whatever you think is appropriate.

However I have requested it is kept short and to the point, and I will edit down info that has been written more verbosely than is really needed.

Not being an overly frequent tunnel flier I do realise that I may not appreciate what are the important factors, so please use the info space to put those across.

Cheers, and let's get more tunnels added. I know there are more out there!!!

Well done on the website, a very good recourse and will promt operators to reconsider price hikes...

awesome.

I noticed the Lodi section didn't have gear hire prices listed and some might think that means there is no gear hire there.

Thay actually have awsome modern gear hire and i don't think is is very expensive at all, to make it the least expensive DZ in the world.

Well done again, I'm sure your site will get many hits.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Cheers for the comments, and without meaning to sound too cheesey, I only provided the framework for it all, it wouldn't work or be that useful if people didn't enter the dropzones or wind tunnels that they know about.

As for Lodi and the lack of kit hire info, people could interpret it that way, but unless someone puts in the relevant info then that is the way it will appear (I've never been there so know idea or I'd enter it myself!).

Hey guys

I work in closed wind tunnel in north of China, Dalian. As it is new company it is not really evolved but the tunnel 3.6m and wind speed is about 250km/h.. So if you are not too heavy it could be good. Any way I am posting this in case anyone looking for a tunnel in China because we dont have any regular flyers so I can not improve my skills and it gets pretty boring with regular customers. so far 2 minutes cost about 200 rmb and 1 hour is about 6000 rmb. But if you have any intrest about prices let me know and I will ask for more precise price for exact flying time.

Ps you can see the tunnel in youtube when you search dalian wind tunnel or dlflyer.com

CHEERS

I've added the Chinese tunnel to the database http://www.jumpticketprices.com/tunnels.asp. If you could check it to make sure the details I've added are accurate, that would be appreciated. Please edit any details I've got wrong.

Thanks.