skydude2000

Back or Sitfly requirements

Hi gang,

I'm planning on visiting the Montreal SV tunnel when it opens next year.

I only have an hour of tunnel time to date. I know the requirements for my 'B' CoP are at least 45 degree turns left & right in either sit or backfly positions. What more would I need in order to practice these skills in the tunnel? I also thought the other requirement, a Front-loop, back-loop barrel-roll, in 16 secs or less, would be an excellent skill to be able to practice in the tunnel, so I can whip it off fairly quickly in the sky. (hopefully ;))

But I read that only experienced flyers are permitted to perform these types of maneuvers. I would obviously need coaching, but what else would I need, in order for a coach to not say 'I'm not getting into a tube of Death with that guy!!!'???

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
PULL!! or DIE!!

You say you have ~1 hr in the tunnel...what were you working on? All belly? Belly/back?

I'll assume you've just been flying on your belly - correct me if I'm wrong. For the progression you want to make, your back is where they'll likely start you. It'll probably take a good bit before getting comfortable & making controlled turns. Unfortunately, the only way to shorten the learning curve that I've seen is just to listen to your coaches, watch the videos, and spend more time on it. It just takes a while.

Then you'll likely move on to belly/back/belly transitions (on the pitch axis, as well as the roll axis)...or sitfly. You'll find it helps with your sit to be comfortable on your back (or at least, I did).

As far as the front loop/back loop/barrel roll, if you've never flown on your back, you'll likely only get to the barrel roll portion of that (and then maybe only 1/2 barrel roll). Flips can be very tricky in the tunnel - I've never seen someone with only an hour's time doing them. Hopefully a tunnel instructor will chime in and offer some specific req's, but in my experience, at this point you'll get more out of practicing those in the sky, where there's not a big plexiglass wall 3 feet from your head (or a net to crash down on).

Good luck!
Signatures are the new black.

Thanks!! Yeah, I was working on all belly skills drills. Up + down, side-slides, forward +back and some pins. You're right though, the less crashing I do, the better. I just thought it would be an excellent way of timing the series, and having clear video would make it very easy for me to see and correct any penalties I incur, before I do the evaluation jump.
PULL!! or DIE!!

Hey,

Check out http://www.tunnelflight.com for all the requirements. It's pretty black and white. There is a specific progression that is required in order to get to where you want to be since each skill builds on previous skills in terms of technique required and also to keep you safe. Belly fly, back fly, walk, transitions, sit fly, head down. How long it takes is up to you and how quickly you learn. I was skeptical about the formality of it when I started but after having gone through it to some extent I can tell you that in my opinion it really works and is as efficient as you will find. The SkyVenture guys did an amazing job in structuring what they learned over the years. SV Montreal will be an IBA affiliated tunnel I'm pretty sure so register on the website and get chcked off as you progress.

Good luck and have fun :-)

Alex
IBA Instructor#: 66TV28GP

Thanks Alex,

I actually e-mailed Mélanie in Montreal, and she sent me that exact same link. So how exactly does the IBA site work? I thought a good portion of that was for aspiring tunnel instructors. I didn't bother to create an account there yet.

If I had a list of all the skills required in the progression, and had them witnessed in my first session in the tunnel, could I begin working on the other skills requirements, ones more closely link to the requirements for my actual license? I'm sure I know the answer, but if I had video of a coached session in the NH tunnel, could I have them review it and check me off for those more basic skills I worked on?

I'd like to be as prepared as possible before-hand so that I can get the most out of the tunnel that I can.

Thanks again!!!
PULL!! or DIE!!

Adam,

depending on what you want to work on.. (I'm guessing back/head up) it shouldn't take you long to get there.

In NH they made me do 1 min of belly flying to show stability before going straight to back flying. Did about 6 mins of backflying, then 1-2 mins of walking. After that the rest of my hour was all sit flying. The progression is fairly straight forward, if you want to maximize it hire yourself a coach.

--Jim

The IBA website is for tunnel flyers as well as tunnel instructors. The theory is that as you progress any instructor that has witnessed your abilities can check you off on the site so if you arrive at a new tunnel like Montreal the guys can look you up and know what you are signed off to do. Without it you would have to demonstrate acceptable skills in each area before being allowed to progress your learning. Like I said, that's the theory in it anyway. It's free and it's fun so why not ;-)

Get a coach and spend some time briefing and debriefing with video and you will move through the formalities fast.

Ciao,
Alex

Thanks for all the help you guys :) I've signed up on the IBA site. But I'm doubting that this will be possible. If I've just signed up, but the skills I completed and the time I spent, was done over a year ago. How would any instructor be able to know which skills I've completed already? Or is this sort of a 'from now on' thing? Can my instructors at MTL review video of my first hour, and check off each skill using that??

I'm sure this would be a lot more complicated than just whipping of the basic skills I've already done in the first few minutes, but if I can, why not?
PULL!! or DIE!!