jephprospect

can tunnel time help docking?

Is that a PA? I think that's a PA. *yells* Mooooooooood's he's making PA's! The funny thing is you are giving me advice even though you have the same amount of time in the sport and less jumps. I think I see a pattern. :P

P.S I know a good anger management therapist. I can give you his number if you'd like. ;)

edit: Actually I'm a pretty happy guy. That's why I don't needlessly launch PA's on people in the forums. :P

Take my post how you want.... But if you want to start with the PA b.s you should re-read your post where you pa about cleaning up some sand...... dont start it if your not willing to get it in return..

funny how you compare your jump experience to mine, if you did your homework you would have checked my profile a little closer and found that I am A rated Uspa Coach..... looks like i got 1 up on ya!![:/] i dont need to BRAG about how im better than you...

May I wax poetic for a moment? Yes? Thank you.

I've had the good fortune of meeting some of the big names in skydiving, and jumping with some of them, too. Beyond their obvious skills in their respective disciplines, what's really impressed me about many of the top people in skydiving is how approachable, humble, and friendly they are. People like Pete Alum, Amy Chmelecki, Brian Germain, and, yes, Kirk Verner, are great folks who just happen to be the best skydivers on the planet. You'd never know how "big a deal" they were by the way they act (and they certainly wouldn't feel the need to tell you). People like that can teach us a lot about skydiving, and they can teach us a lot about class, too. Not everyone, however, will choose to learn.

Poetry off. You're both acting like spoiled five year olds.

- Dan G

when i saw over 50 replies I got excited but found out only about 8 of them were to my question which is a bummer. I have a video link with 2 recent jumps on it. If anyone has tips or would like to help out PM me and I will send you the link of the video. To those of you that already PM'd me and gave good advice thank you very much for the tips and words of encouragement.

sorry to cause drama it definetly was not my intention.

Blue Skies folks,

Jeff

I've had the good fortune of meeting some of the big names in skydiving, and jumping with some of them, too. Beyond their obvious skills in their respective disciplines, what's really impressed me about many of the top people in skydiving is how approachable, humble, and friendly they are. People like Pete Alum, Amy Chmelecki, Brian Germain, and, yes, Kirk Verner, are great folks who just happen to be the best skydivers on the planet. You'd never know how "big a deal" they were by the way they act (and they certainly wouldn't feel the need to tell you). People like that can teach us a lot about skydiving, and they can teach us a lot about class, too. Not everyone, however, will choose to learn.

I seldom interject in these threads for fear of becoming a target. However, I too have had such opportunites and have found the same lessons. When I have dealt with some of the better/great jumpers I find there to be a huge difference between ego, and confidence, and a willing to teach.
One other comment. There is a difference between reaching UP for a dock and reaching OUT for a dock. OK, attack at will.
It's a gift, I don't try to explain it.

^^^^
That's it Hobie! You’re on my next bar fight jump and I am taking you out buddy! ;)
Seriously though
That's what I was thinking too. Reaching up as opposed to reaching out. Not that I know anything but its just what struck a cord with me.
I think there was a little confusion about it, good post Doc.
To the OP:
Some people just get it faster than others. Relax this is fun right? Take some time and from working on technical jumps and just have some fun.

DS #149
Yes I only have 3 jumps...it's the magic number dude.

I am A rated Uspa Coach......

Damn, that was the last bite of popcorn and I just spit it out on the monitor.

{{grumbling as I go to the kitchen to make more}}

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Well said. The classic 'I'm-Better-Than-You' SkyGod mentality definitely exists...but in my (limited) experience, those types are usually people who can't back it up and need to overcompensate. The true SkyGods are the ones you wouldn't know from any other skydiver...until you see them fly and have to pick your jaw off the ground.

On another note...

[whole 'nother can of worms]A perfect example of the problem with the 100-jump-wonder coach rating program.[/whole 'nother can of worms]

(But I suppose we should take that discussion to another thread.) ;)
Signatures are the new black.

when i saw over 50 replies I got excited but found out only about 8 of them were to my question which is a bummer. I have a video link with 2 recent jumps on it. If anyone has tips or would like to help out PM me and I will send you the link of the video. To those of you that already PM'd me and gave good advice thank you very much for the tips and words of encouragement.

sorry to cause drama it definetly was not my intention.

Blue Skies folks,

Jeff

Hey, Jeff - On behalf of all of us, apologies for the thread drift. No drama here - just a funny situation.

Back to your OP, the tunnel can help tremendously with docking.

There are a lot of different things that could be going wrong right now for you -

1) Are you jumping with jumpers of similar experience levels to you? If so, oftentimes you both think you're falling straight down, but both of you are adding some unintentional control inputs. So you wind up kinda circling each other, never getting close enough to dock.

The tunnel can help with this by getting you relaxed and comfortable simply falling straight. I know it sounds simple, but without a good solid reference, it's tough to tell if you're backsliding or moving in some other way.

That way, you can go out with someone, and decide you'll be the base, and just hang out and let them come to you. Of course, you don't always want to be the base, so:

2) Are you having trouble closing distance? Yes, the tunnel is small, but it can help with this. Forward and backward movements require the same shift in CG - it's just the level you commit to it that allows you to close distance. Getting your body in touch with what input yields how much result is one of the undeniable benefits of flying relative to the tunnel walls.

3) Are you getting close, but having trouble taking grips? Maybe you have trouble reaching for a grip and backsliding away? Or you find yourself popping up every time you go to take a grip (which was my problem, incidentally - I weigh in at 115 lbs.)?

Yep, the tunnel is all over this one. There are all sorts of stability drills the instructor can come in and do with you to work your tight-flying skills - from kneeling and letting you take grips on his/her arms to having you put one hand on your head and reach forward with the other while still maintaining the same altitude (etc, etc). They may even work on getting you into the Mantis position, which is inherently less-stable, but arguably gives a more rock-solid base for taking stable grips on others.

In short, one benefit is getting to where you can compensate for one motion (forward/back/up/down/side/side) with another motion...and where you do it without thinking about it. The tunnel *really* shines working these sorts of fine motor skills.

---

Think of it this way - if you spend 10 minutes in the tunnel, you'll definitely come out of it with more skills than you had going in. And ultimately, depending on what you're paying, it works out to be cheaper than training in the sky. ;)

Good luck!
Signatures are the new black.

Hey folks,

I'm on jump 38 and still having issues jumping with just 1 person and doing docks with them. I'm getting super frusterated. Is this normal? It seems other people are learning and progressing faster then me.

Everyone always says tunnel time helps with everything but would it help for docking since it's so small?

Thanks,

yes, being frustrated is super normal. and yes the tunnel will help you with docking, the size of the tunnel doesn't matter, it is a representation of an approximate distance. ie 12ft is 12ft of flying space. if a greater area of separation from another jumper is hindering your docking, then there are bigger issues that need to be addressed. otherwise the tunnel may be exactly what you need to improve your docking skills. even if you don't pay for coaching, most tunnel instructors will be more than happy to help and give advise to you free of charge.

"your the shit till you eat it !!!!!!!! damn that wall hurts..."

Edit this topic already! This is WIND TUNNELS, not "I have 20 jumps more then you so i am better!" dick measuring contest, err... i mean Bonfire. Tired of reading nonsense posted by the dz.com experts with thousands of posts and a hundred jumps

Please do not disturb the perfection that is this thread.

Especially now that it is back on track.

Anyway, I agree that the tunnel can be a fantastic tool. I also agree with what Lloyd said regarding some things to think about. I believe, however, that you can work on all these skills in the freefall environment, too. You will need a willing partner who can fall straight down the tube and give you good grips and post-jump feedback. That is exactly what a USPA Coach can do. I hope DON321 would be willing to keep helping you out.

Despite the fact that DON321's post replying to Kirk was probably the funniest thing I've ever read on dropzone.com, his advice was actually sound. It can be easy to misinterpret what you read here, and although Kirk's advice was correct, DON321 just misunderstood what he was getting at. Although the pile-on after the comment was very entertaining, it was largely directed at the tone of his post, not the content. I'm sure DON321 can teach you a lot about docking, so don't let this threat dissuade you from working with him.

Docking is actually one of the hardest things to learn, and as some of the posts above have hinted, even very experienced jumpers screw it up sometimes. When two bodies are falling close to each other, you not only have to worry about directing the air off your own body, but now the air coming off your partner is a factor, too. It can be tough to get the hang of it, but talk with a Coach or Instructor about the fundamentals and physics involved and it might help you understand what to do.

Good luck and have fun.

- Dan G

Please do not disturb the perfection that is this thread.

Especially now that it is back on track.

Anyway, I agree that the tunnel can be a fantastic tool. I also agree with what Lloyd said regarding some things to think about. I believe, however, that you can work on all these skills in the freefall environment, too. You will need a willing partner who can fall straight down the tube and give you good grips and post-jump feedback. That is exactly what a USPA Coach can do. I hope DON321 would be willing to keep helping you out.

Despite the fact that DON321's post replying to Kirk was probably the funniest thing I've ever read on dropzone.com, his advice was actually sound. It can be easy to misinterpret what you read here, and although Kirk's advice was correct, DON321 just misunderstood what he was getting at. Although the pile-on after the comment was very entertaining, it was largely directed at the tone of his post, not the content. I'm sure DON321 can teach you a lot about docking, so don't let this threat dissuade you from working with him.

Docking is actually one of the hardest things to learn, and as some of the posts above have hinted, even very experienced jumpers screw it up sometimes. When two bodies are falling close to each other, you not only have to worry about directing the air off your own body, but now the air coming off your partner is a factor, too. It can be tough to get the hang of it, but talk with a Coach or Instructor about the fundamentals and physics involved and it might help you understand what to do.

Good luck and have fun.

I have been more than willing since the day i met the OP to help him out, He has Offered many times to buy me Beer and pay for jumps but I always Decline.. Im Helping because I want to see him become a great skydiver, my compensation is a new friend and somebody to jump with, cant go wrong there,
Maybe I was a little strong on my first post, but reaching is his problem, so im trying to break that habbit until he learns to compensate for it.... I never said kirk didnt know what he was talking about I belive he does, I just dissagreed with the reaching at the op's stage...

Jeff, im around and willing to help as usuall, But you already new that......

Hey, thanks for the thanks however I must defer your admiration to the real hero's of the Tiki that night. Mike and Biff gave up their prize money to cover the tab in lew of throwing me under the bus to get the votes for their video. An unplanned benifit to being at Summerfest 08, and what a joy! Until next time, be well. Later

-db-

I didn't know drunken naked escapades made someone a "big deal" at the DZ. :S

Bolas wannabe ? :D:D:D

I'm the drunken nearly naked guy. There is a difference. ;)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I didn't know drunken naked escapades made someone a "big deal" at the DZ. :S

Bolas wannabe ? :D:D:D

I'm the drunken nearly naked guy. There is a difference. ;)

Ah yes...always leave a little to the imagination.;)
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!