jephprospect

can tunnel time help docking?

[Kirk Verner,] This is Incorrect!! You Never want to REACH while trying to dock you wil only find yourself everywhere else but docking when reaching....

:D Priceless!! I was laughing so hard i couldn't read any further, after "This is incorrect!!" it became difficult to finish reading even the next few words. This has GOT to be one of, if not THE funniest thing i have ever seen on dz.com in 8 years!! Respect to you for a good sense of humor.

THIS is what dropzone.com is all about people! read and learn.

Okay, okay, time to cut DON321 some slack. Yes, Kirk would be the man to know about these things, but surely you can also understand why someone would see the word "reach" and immediately assume reaching = backsliding (or other non-desirable effects). We're all learning on one level or another. Don't make it into an attack over this.
TPM Sister #102

pass a baton in the air

I know a guy who's been around a while whos father also jumped. I was having dinner at his place when i saw an award he got for passing the baton in freefall. That was kinda cool... just thought id say i touched it. Sexually.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Neil Houston told me a story about a 4-way team he was coaching and filling on one of the slots on a jump. During the dirt dive, they were turning pieces and Neil said, "OK, you guys turn right and we turn left......No, you turn left and we turn right." I think he was used to being in the other piece. So one of the jumpers, not having any idea who Neil is, says, "Wait a minute, are you sure?" Neil says, "Ya, I'm sure." "Well maybe we should ask someone......" Neil couldn't think of anything to say without sounding arrogant. Who you gonna ask? Someone on Airspeed? You just did.

Don't worry about it Don, I'm sure Kirk isn't the least bit offended.

DV

BLAH...BLAH...BLAH...., all I hear, Funny everyone wants to chime in an put in there two cents, but I actually jump with the original poster and have been helping him along the way.....
For somebody so "Expert" as Kirk Who-ever.... he should know not to tell a STUDENT to reach while trying to dock, I can understand a jumper with some experience reaching and being okay but a jumper with 25 jumps needs to be taught to fly his body not reach

And Skittles-of-dc Id watch your sarcasim,.... I can remember reading your newb posts not less than a 8 months ago.. so who are you?? perfect example of somebody who has a license but no skill and walks around the dz telling everyone how to jump....

For somebody so "Expert" as Kirk Who-ever.... he should know not to tell a STUDENT to reach while trying to dock, I can understand a jumper with some experience reaching and being okay but a jumper with 25 jumps needs to be taught to fly his body not reach

Whoa....!!?? Have you even ever heard of Airspeed?

Oh my God it's getting even better.

Dude, chill out, people are busting your chops in good fun. Not everyone comes out of the womb knowing who's who in the sport, it's no big deal. It's just funny that you told Tiger Woods that his backswing's all wrong.

To the OP, if I may be so bold as to interpret what Kirk was telling you: by coming in a little low, it forces you to keep your hands and head high ("reaching up"). This ensures that you continue to spill air off the front of your body and fall straight down. If you come in too high, taking grips causes you to cup air in the front and can lead to backsliding. Either way, you need to fly your body to the grips.

The way I try to get the same thing across is to have students raise their elbows while taking the grip, as well as apply a little extra leg extension. The mantra I use (stolen from Skydive U) is Grips, Elbows, Toes, Altimeter.
GET-A if you like, as in get-a-grip.

Anyway, I'm nobody important, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong. I gotta go help Kobe with his jump shot.

- Dan G

BLAH...BLAH...BLAH...., all I hear, Funny everyone wants to chime in an put in there two cents, but I actually jump with the original poster and have been helping him along the way.....

And Skittles-of-dc Id watch your sarcasim,.... I can remember reading your newb posts not less than a 8 months ago.. so who are you?? perfect example of somebody who has a license but no skill and walks around the dz telling everyone how to jump....

Is that irony or hypocrisy or even a little bit of both. I always forget. :P

Actually I'm kinda a big deal at my DZ, bet you can't say the same. ;)

Oh and I didn't realize we jumped together. Refresh my memory on what I did wrong on our jump that makes you say I have no skill. Or if I'm right and we didn't jump together sit down and STFU...after you clean the sand out of your vajay-jay of course.:ph34r:

This is Incorrect!! You Never want to REACH while trying to dock...

Absolute ASNER!

:D:D

[Acute Spontaneous Nasal Reflux - usually while sipping coffe and you find some preciousness like the one above!]
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

by coming in a little low, it forces you to keep your hands and head high ("reaching up"). This ensures that you continue to spill air off the front of your body and fall straight down. If you come in too high, taking grips causes you to cup air in the front and can lead to backsliding. Either way, you need to fly your body to the grips.

and, doing that in the tunnel will impress the right flying mindset to overcome the backsliding tendency too

your post is what was needed instead of the bashing - nice clarification (but I thought the post was funny too - not every one of us is a 4-way addict and knows who all the world class flyers are)

I like to ask the pros questions like "why do you think that works" or "how does this enforce the right abilities"

the ones that explain like that are gold

others will just say "because I said so" without explaining

different people soak up each of the styles - I like the explanations myself and try to provide them when I'm helping out newer jumpers...

From my experience, every single one of the Airspeed crowd (including Kirk) are happy to explain "why" when asked politely.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Kirk Verner
Arizona Airspeed founding member: 1994 - 2006
A founding member of Airspeed, Kirk has over 18,000 skydives and
started jumping in 1980. He is a multiple world champion in 4- and
8-way and one of the world's best known and most accomplished
competitors; his coaching experience spans decades. He is now
managing the brand new SkyVenture wind tunnel in North Carolina,
where he continues to use his extensive knowledge and skills to
benefit skydivers there.

Yep he knows nothing..........................

others will just say "because I said so" without explaining

You forgot "because god wanted like this"

B|
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

Is that irony or hypocrisy or even a little bit of both. I always forget. :P

Actually I'm kinda a big deal at my DZ, bet you can't say the same. ;)

Oh and I didn't realize we jumped together. Refresh my memory on what I did wrong on our jump that makes you say I have no skill. Or if I'm right and we didn't jump together sit down and STFU...after you clean the sand out of your vajay-jay of course.:ph34r:

Wow!!! a BIG deal at your drop zone.... Kinda hard to belive with all the comments posted already.. and anyone who has to brag "im kinda a big deal at my Dz" is just sad inside, because really THERE NOT.. but it feels sooooo good inside when you say it... dosent it??
its okay man, dont cry......
you strike me as the kind of guy who walks around the dz like youve been in the sport 25 years and tries to organize exit order just as the plane loads up.... so sad....

You realy should think about your "big deal attitude"
mentality like that will only end up bad in this sport...

loose the shades buddy there not cool......