jephprospect

can tunnel time help docking?

Hey folks,

I'm on jump 38 and still having issues jumping with just 1 person and doing docks with them. I'm getting super frusterated. Is this normal? It seems other people are learning and progressing faster then me.

Everyone always says tunnel time helps with everything but would it help for docking since it's so small?

Thanks,

Jeff

The tunnel can absolutely help with taking grips. This is a common problem for beginning belly flyers. Next time start taking grips when you are slightly low so that you reach up for the grips. Do your best to not get frustrated, skydiving is an infinite learning process and requires diligent practice.

ParacleteXP

The tunnel can absolutely help with taking grips. This is a common problem for beginning belly flyers. Next time start taking grips when you are slightly low so that you reach up for the grips. Do your best to not get frustrated, skydiving is an infinite learning process and requires diligent practice.

This is Incorrect!! You Never want to REACH while trying to dock you wil only find yourself everywhere else but docking when reaching....

The tunnel is a great place to learn, expensive but well worth it.... you will progress fast with tunnel coaching, but sometimes you will need to tweak what you learned a hair when it comes to a skydive since your now wearing a parachute on your back.....

This is Incorrect!! You Never want to REACH while trying to dock you wil only find yourself everywhere else but docking when reaching....

The tunnel is a great place to learn, expensive but well worth it.... you will progress fast with tunnel coaching, but sometimes you will need to tweak what you learned a hair when it comes to a skydive since your now wearing a parachute on your back.....

You just told Kirk Verner how to take a grip. :P

Kirk, you taking notes?:D

Seriously, the tunnel is a great place to work on all those "last 3 feet type things" although in Kirk and Joe's tunnel, it's more like the "last 10 feet type things"!
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Hello Don, you might want to do a search on "Arizona Airspeed" and search who "Kirk Verner" is before responding further. His profile can be found here: http://www.onthelineskydiving.com/CoachProfiles.html

Kirk is one of the founding members of Arizona Airspeed and a very highly experienced RW coach, both in the sky and tunnel. He is also extremely humble. If he writes or says something, it would be best to try to listen and learn.

If I recal properly, when new at this grip taking thing, using a high grip will keep the fall rate going for the newer jumper.

You and I may fly a Mantis type style and have learned to maintain our fall rate, for a new jumper reaching out an inch or two may cause just enough of a body change to either pop up and/or back slide out.

It needs not be a real high grip just at the ear level is usually enough. This will also help keep the head up and aides in the eventual transition to a good eye level mantis.

Now I defer back to Kirk, since I am way our of my element now! :)

Matt

P.S. I could be all wrong here too!

An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Hello Don, you might want to do a search on "Arizona Airspeed" and search who "Kirk Verner" is before responding further. His profile can be found here: http://www.onthelineskydiving.com/CoachProfiles.html

Kirk is one of the founding members of Arizona Airspeed and a very highly experienced RW coach, both in the sky and tunnel. He is also extremely humble. If he writes or says something, it would be best to try to listen and learn.

Why you sweatin' DON321, he clearly has MAD SKILLZ. Airspeed Schmarspeed. Kirk only has a handful of championship medals. Don probably has a box full.:P:D:D

When you're done teaching Kirk how to fly RW and take grips, would you come to the Swooping forum and teach JT how to do a distance run?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hahahaha :D:D:D:D:D
This is priceless. A 100 jump wonder telling Kirk is wrong at RW. Classic. :D

Nah (being fully aware of the other posts and who wrote them).

You just need to learn to compensate with the rest of your body.

Reaching a foot or two in any direction is faster than accelerating and stopping all 200 pounds of you rig and beer gut so you don't have to reach. Especially if you're connected to one or more other people that you'd have to drag along with you. That's almost work.