bliston

Tunnel Competition (4-way) at SVNH Dec. 13

Ben Liston and Skyventure New Hampshire will be hosting a 10-round 4-way formation skydiving tunnel competition on December 13, 2008. Our goal is to have a fun meet and give 4-way junkies in the North East something to hold them over until the snow melts - teams from other parts of the country and Canada are of course encouraged to come out for the event as well. There will not be any cash purses, but prizes will likely include tunnel time and donated prizes from manufactures. The event will be preceded by a FS skills camp for individuals or teams who want to improve their skills.

Warm-up flights (which are included in the registration fee) will begin at 1:00PM and the awards ceremony will be completed by 9:00PM. Nationally rated judges will score each round based on the tunnel video. Teams will be required to pre-register by email by Dec. 5. The registration fee, which can be paid on site, will be $140 per team (just $35/person), and will include 2 minutes of warm-up time. Teams should try to arrive by 12:00PM to fill out waivers, pay, and prep their warm-up time.

The meet will be modeled in NSL fashion and have two divisions of 4-way: The open/AAA division will use a modified dive pool for the meet (all random formation plus blocks 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 14, 15, and 17) and the Intermediate/AA division will consist of random formations and blocks 7, 9, and 14. Both classes will complete 10 rounds. Practice time will be flown before the competition briefing between 1:00 - 1:30PM. The meet briefing will happen at 1:45, teams will have the draw by 2:00, and round 1 will begin at 3PM. Registered teams will be able to purchase training time from Friday December 5th through Friday December 12th at a discounted rate of $360 per half hour.

Following is an overview of the format, specific questions and more detailed information will be provided during the competition briefing. Up to three teams will enter the tunnel chamber at the same time and each team will complete two rounds during the tunnel session. Airspeed will be adjusted and recorded during the team's practice time and adjusted before each team enters the air column and their time begins. Teams will be given one minute to complete 35 seconds of working time. Intermediate/ AA teams will begin from a star (which will only be the starting position and not repeated during the course of the dive) with time starting once the first grip is broken. Open class/AAA teams will have the option of launching from a standing position on the net or have two team members enter from the door (time starting when the first person crosses the plane of the door, or when the first person's feet leave the net). Teams will have about 50 minutes between each of the five competition flight sessions.

To register for the meet, all you need to do is email Ben Liston at [email protected] by December 5 with the full names of all four team members, your team name, and the division you'd like to be in. If your team needs an additional member or two, or you are an individual looking for a team, contact us and we'll do what we can to connect you with folks (some information about your or your team's skill level would be helpful). Members of Mass Defiance may be able to fill out teams who are short a person.

We look forward to your participation! Please contact us a [email protected] if you have any questions about the event.
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

It looks we may have more teams interested in participating than I originally anticipated. If you are in the process of getting a team together or have your line-up sorted out - please contact me ASAP. I want everyone who'd like to participate be able to, but I may have to cap it at 14 teams because of tunnel time availability. If it comes down to it, teams will be registered on a first come first serve basis.

Email [email protected] with the team members, your team name, and the division you'll like to register for.

Thanks,
Ben

sticks!

We currently have eleven 4-way teams registered for the event (with a 12th looking for a 4th member)... Eight AA/Intermediate teams and three AAA/Open teams. If you have a team or are an individual looking to participate please get in touch ASAP, the Dec. 5 deadline is coming up.

Spectators are more than welcome. While the volunteer staff and judges are pretty organized at this point, one or two more bodies wouldn't hurt. Drop me an email or a PM if you'd like to help out.

Thanks,
Ben

sticks!

The official registration deadline has now passed. Contact me to inquire about space if you get a last minute team together. We have 12 teams (48 competitors!) registered with folks from CT, NY, MA, NH, ME, and FL coming out for the meet.

Many thanks to Performance Designs, United Parachute Technologies, and Bonehead Composites for supporting the event.

For anyone interested in coming to check things out, official practice time will begin at 12:50PM, the 10 meet rounds will be flown between 2:30PM - 7:40PM, and a brief awards ceremony will happen at 8:30PM (or earlier if the judges finish up quickly). Spectators are more than welcome. I'll post results here after the meet and the NSL news will have additional info and video after the event.

Blues,
Ben

sticks!