EXTremeWade

Using G.I. Bill for Tunnel Quals..?

I have a few friends in the military, who would love to venture out and become a certified tunnel instructor at some of the available locations, particularly, Paraclete XP in Raeford, NC.

Normally, from what I have gathered though pass-time conversation, is that you go through the program, get certified as a tunnel flyer, but then you have to commit to some sort of 2 year contract or so. These times of contract and titles to the job are not what need to be critiqued in this post, but what I am asking is, can a military guy/gal somehow use his/her G.I. Bill for the certification as well? Thus, getting extra money form the government for free? Is there a loop-hole to get extra money from Uncle Sam going straight to your wallet?

I have read and reviewed a lot of the new G.I. Bill that will be enacted next August for 2009, but there are a lot of new stringent rules as to them matching in-state tuition, and getting the Basic Allowance for Housing. Usually with the G.I. Bill, as I am using it to this day, you must prove that you are enrolled in a recognized educational institution, and prove that you are attending class on a monthly basis to elect monetary payments to your bank account.

The next question that arises, is that can the IBA make some sort of document, or program that if already exists, is regionally accredited, and available through the College Board that makes them an official educational institution for certifications nation wide? Some people debate that they can, because like a Private Pilots License, it is a certification, and it can be funded throughout the VA. However, I have spoken with many flight schools, and some don’t honor with the above said. Any ideas as of how to get double the money from the Gov't for free?

Wade

I will just comment on the second part. I talked to IBA about 6 months ago and they said that their instructor training is not accredited, thus not eligible for the GI Bill. The guy I spoke to did sound interested in the notion though, but if you have ever looked into what it takes to be accredited, it doesn't look like fun.

To use the GI Bill I believe the training has to be Nationally Accredited, check out http://www.acics.org/ for a glimps at what it takes.

The entire process takes at least a year as well.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

This is what I was afraid of. The IBA has not been around for too long. At least not long enough in comparison to educational institutions nation wide. The process you speak of is very true; a year at least for the Veteran Affairs (VA) to sanction the audit valid for the future fiscal year, hence the reason why once the new G.I. Bill was approved, it will only be able to be tapped into next year of August, 2009.

Any ideas as of how to get double the money from the Gov't for free?

Ah, the "gimmee" generation.

Try using your G.I. benefits to get a real college education, then you'll find a job that pays well, and then you can afford all the tunnel time you want.

I think EW brings up a good question. The GI Bill will pay for a certification that can be used for employment. It will pay for getting a commercial pilot's license, but not a private pilot's license.

Because it costs thousands upon thousands of dollars to become certified as a tunnel instructor, there should be a way to have the GI Bill pay for that certification. This way if a veteran wanted to pursue a career as a tunnel instructor, he could use his GI Bill for it.

If it's not currently possible, anyone owning a tunnel business or in the IBA should take a look at this. The GI Bill could potentially be giving you lots of money to train tunnel instructors. How would this not be a win-win situation?
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

As Far as I know the military will pay for the GROUND SCHOOL but not the AERIAL training of the pilots license. Maybe, I only got the info for private license.

As far as the IBA goes.
If you pay for the training yourself I don't think you need to sign a 2 year contract. I was lucky enough to get my training paid for.

From what I understand the 2 year contract is to reimburse the tunnel that trained you.
I.E. if you got trained at tunnel "A" and as soon as you were qualified you went to work for tunnel "B" that would pretty much screw tunnel "A."
Hence, the time commitment.

Any of you in the Air Force?
My photos

My Videos

Any ideas as of how to get double the money from the Gov't for free?

Ah, the "gimmee" generation.

Try using your G.I. benefits to get a real college education, then you'll find a job that pays well, and then you can afford all the tunnel time you want.

Oh come on, you mean to say you mind your tax dollars being spent on someone's most likely short skydiving career? Makes me proud to be an American. [:/]
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

OK. enough. Thanks guys. back to the question at hand. There is a forum to "vent your angst". Keep that in mind.

You opened the door for these kinds of responses when you used phrases like:
"...getting extra money form the government for free?"

" Is there a loop-hole to get extra money from Uncle Sam..."

"Any ideas as of how to get double the money from the Gov't for free?"
And it seems to me you have already answered your own question. A wind tunnel is not an "official educational institution", therefore the G.I. Bill isn't going to cover your training there.

Instead of trying to find loopholes and expecting the taxpayers to fund your fun time in a wind tunnel, you should instead find ways to pay for your own dream job training. If you want it that bad, you'll be willing to achieve it on your own.

Usually I agree with you John but I have to say knock it off.

EX HAS opted into the G.I. bill.

As far as loop holes go maybe you should be pissed off at the plethora of other people who abuse the system.

I dont think EX was asking how to SCAM the gov't.

There ARE ways to get more money from the gov't for FREE.

The PELL grant is one!

You can get the PELL grant to pay for your education and the G.I. bill will more or less end up in your pocket. That is not scamming that is using the resources available.

And, by the way, stop using the self-righteous tax payer line. you sound like a moron. We pay the same taxes you do.

You do not pay our salary. You pitch in just as much as we do so just STOP!
My photos

My Videos

Maybe now we can focus on the issue :D

If the GI Bill is designed to pay for achieving a certification that can be used for employment. How can the tunnel community work with the DVA to make their training program acceptable for GI bill funding for guys getting out of the military?

Think about it, a guy wants to get his rating as a tunnel instructor, the DVA sends you a check for $10K and you train him for one month to make him a tunnel instructor. He's happy for the ability to find employment in a tunnel without signing a two year contract, you're happy for getting $10K up front. Who loses?

$10K is only a fraction of the funds available to him as a veteran. He can be a part time tunnel instructor now while going to college full time. Win/win situation! He gets to work doing a job he loves while going to school. You get your money for training him and a part time instructor who's happy to be there by choice, not by obligation.

I'm saying this is totally possible. This is a very realistic scenario.

108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Well, the TA tuition assistance will pay for a RATING but there is a limit to it. I'm not sure.
I.E. if you want to get your real estate license TA will pay it doesnt effect your MGIB as the real estate license isn't a degree.

I would start asking questions there.
Shit, Even if they would pay for half of the training it would help.

The training will kick your ass.
My photos

My Videos

Oh come on, you mean to say you mind your tax dollars being spent on someone's most likely short skydiving career? Makes me proud to be an American. [:/]

To be able to use GI Bill one has to earn it first. The guy who is going to use it to get tunnel certified served his country to earn his GI Bill money. What have YOU done to be "proud to be an American" other then (involuntarily) have the IRS take 30+% of your paycheck?

Reference: http://www.gibill.va.gov/

As far as loop holes go maybe you should be pissed off at the plethora of other people who abuse the system.

I disapprove of everyone who abuses the system, and I don't look the other way when it's a fellow skydiver and veteran.

stop using the self-righteous tax payer line.

Tax payers have a right to be concerned about how their money is spent - that's not being "self righteous", that's expecting responsibility and accountability from our government - and its citizens.

you sound like a moron.

Personal insult. Moderators?

You do not pay our salary. You pitch in just as much as we do so just STOP!

And what gives you the right to tell me to stop being concerned about how my tax dollars are spent? If we're all equal, then why do you think you have the right to tell me to stop?

If you approve of his plan of action, then why don't you send him $1,000 out of your pocket to help him out? Or do you only approve when it's money taken out of someone else's pocket?

I spent 4 years in the US Navy.

Good for you.

Then please explain to me how is using one's GI College fund (which, may i remind you, is paid for and earned by the veteran himself) for a VA accredited course (should a tunnel or skydiving rating become such) is taking away from you as a proud American and a law abiding tax payer? No matter how long or short that career may be.

Honest question = just for equivalency

Does the GI Bill cover other ratings/quals programs for other sports?

Lifeguards
Fitness trainer
coaches in other recreational sports
etc

if so, the tunnel attendant would be appropriate
if not, then no

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

for a VA accredited course (should a tunnel or skydiving rating become such) is taking away from you as a proud American and a law abiding tax payer? No matter how long or short that career may be.

It doesn't take away from any one. The various bills and TA funds out there already pay for numerous trades to be learned.

As soon as the Skydiving Industry and/or Tunnel Industry gets acreditation/certification I think it is good.

It would provide training and education for employement, which is what the funds are for.

So what if the reason is just to have a "cool job"? How many people think they have a "cool job"?
Hell I know I do!

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!