SkyPainter

Does Tunnel Time go in logbook?

You must have a log book for Tunnel Time or your Tunnel Ratings and USPA Licenses get revoked.

This is the law and you must follow it.

If it is discovered you have not maintained separate logbooks, your vehicle will also be impounded, and you will owe the IRS $20,000

You must have a log book for Tunnel Time or your Tunnel Ratings and USPA Licenses get revoked.

If it is discovered you have not maintained separate logbooks, your vehicle will also be impounded, and you will owe the IRS $20,000

Car plus $20,000 for what the IRS normally takes?..... I'd have to run the math to see if that's a deal or not.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Car plus $20,000 for what the IRS normally takes?..... I'd have to run the math to see if that's a deal or not.

I've substituted the logbook for an extensive tunnel-flying DVD selection. Do you suppose they tax on the DVDs, too? If so, do they only tax me on MY tunnel flying or do I have to pay a windfall profits tax any time I fly with other people in their rotation? Good grief--what if there's COACHING?!
TPM Sister #102

You shouldn't put being in the "hair dryer" in the parking lot into your skydiving log book. And your skydiving logbook is an "unofficial" official document. If anything happens to you at the DZ the FAA will definitely look at it.

It's why United 747 Captains don't write, "Finally nailed that Lufthansa flight attendant at the Holiday Inn last night!" In their logbooks.

Keep a diary under your mattress for the fluff stuff . . .

NickD :)

• Like 1

do I have to pay a windfall profits tax any time I fly with other people in their rotation? Good grief--what if there's COACHING?!

I think you have to report it as gift income any time you share tunnel time and then pay the max tax rate for gifts. Uncle Sam wants his cut.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

i pop all my tunnel time into my log book alongside the jumps. Of course it just gets logged as a tunnel session not a jump and i write it in a different colour pen :)

Freefall time is always added up as freefall only, tunnel time added as tunnel only. If someone asked how much experience i had, I might say 250 jumps, plus 10 hours tunnel - not combine freefall & tunnel time eg never "13 hours freefall".

some people have a separate log book for tunnel and jumps, but I prefer to keep it all in one, fewer books to lose ;-)
-- Aizxana --

I disagree that tunnel time is "fluff stuff"

Your analogy is a bit skewed IMO. A pilot shouldn't log nailing a stewardess and a TM should log nailing a tandem passenger...

But a pilot might choose to log simulator time for reference and a skydiver might choose to log tunnel time for reference.

What is the FAA going to find objectionable about simulation time?
Owned by Remi #?

You shouldn't put being in the "hair dryer" in the parking lot into your skydiving log book. And your skydiving logbook is an "unofficial" official document. If anything happens to you at the DZ the FAA will definitely look at it.

It's why United 747 Captains don't write, "Finally nailed that Lufthansa flight attendant at the Holiday Inn last night!" In their logbooks.

NickD :)

Well... I have noted a few non-jumping festivities into
my logbook, but there is not enough air time to log. :)
Anyway, tunnel time will never be the same as air time
because there is a piece of your brain that pays attention
to the altitude. It doesn't light up in the tunnel.

Interesting note to this conversation. I just completed the coach rating course and the instructor told me that USPA is looking at counting tunnel time as freefall time for the requirements to take the AFF rating. I am sure that tunnel vs. actually freefall is another debate. However, with this in mind maybe we should log tunnel time?????

What do you all think?

I've kept a log with what I was doing, what I paid, and how long I flew. Helps me look at what stages I was progressing fastest, and what stages I stalled at (each time I stopped paying for a coach basically). Coaching turned out to be about a third more expensive, but roughly doubled the effectiveness of the time. (i.e. well worth it, at least for me)

Also means that my girlfriend gets to confirm that she's learning faster than I did a year or so ago (she's competitive like that!)

some people have a separate log book for tunnel and jumps, but I prefer to keep it all in one, fewer books to lose ;-)

I like that - I have about 30 hours of tunnel and don't log it. But if I did, I'd use my log book like one of those "double" books

Starting from the first page would be filled out for 'real' jumps and 'real freefall' :ph34r:

Flip the book over and start in the back fill for tunnel logging.

when the front part fills up and intercepts the back part filling up - the book is full and I get another logbook - somewhere in the middle would be the totals for that log's period of time

(alternate - front page vs back of page, etc.... depends on how heavy one logs and the ratio of tunnel logs to real jump logs....)

Anyway, tunnel time will never be the same as air time
because there is a piece of your brain that pays attention
to the altitude. It doesn't light up in the tunnel.

Maybe not for you, but I have been busted more than once by a tunnel instructor (or fellow flier) for looking at my wrist after a minute or so.