mdrejhon

Skyventure Montreal Progress! [pix!]

Thanks to Remster that brought this up. This is major (to us Canadians), so I think this now merits a new thread instead of being hidden in page 2 of a different thread that's more than one year old...

Now....
PICTURES of Skyventure Montreal groundbreaking - CLICKY!

This thread will henceforth, hopefully, be the main dz.com thread for Skyventure Montreal progress. B|

Remster wrote:

I slacked off and never made it to the site... BUT: there are pics! The point I consider as the real moment when things are actually starting to happen (and not just internet rumours) has arrived: they have broken ground.:)http://forum.nouvelair.ca/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=472

While the pics could be any place, the OP on that thread is a good friend who I trust.

I managed to figure out exactly where it is based on the pics:

Goodle maps coordinates: 45.564473, -73.743115
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=45.564473,-73.743115&daddr=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=18&sll=45.564188,-73.742874&sspn=0.003264,0.003755&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=18

Better sideways view (click on Birds Eyes option)

http://maps.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point.rktd5f8vnc1m_Skyventure%20Montreal____&encType=1
Remster

By no means do I mean to trivialize what's going on, it's realy cool that there's going to be a tunnel on Canadain soil, but it's not really that major to anyone living in the west (remember, we're here too you know)! I can get a ticket to Palm Springs (Perris tunnel) or Pheonix (Eloy Tunnel) for the same or less money than going to Montreal, never mind the guys in Vancouver, they can get even cheaper tickets to the states seeing as they're more of a hub than Edmonton.

[joke] How many Ontarians does it take to screw in a lightbulb?? ...... Only one, he just holds it up and the whole country revolves around him! [/joke]
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

By no means do I mean to trivialize what's going on, it's realy cool that there's going to be a tunnel on Canadain soil, but it's not really that major to anyone living in the west (remember, we're here too you know)! I can get a ticket to Palm Springs (Perris tunnel) or Pheonix (Eloy Tunnel) for the same or less money than going to Montreal, never mind the guys in Vancouver, they can get even cheaper tickets to the states seeing as they're more of a hub than Edmonton.

True, true...

Actually, I just thought of a way that might actually affect you Western Canadians indirectly:
The Future Canada 100-Way Record!

Canadians in the East will now become better RW bellyflyers. Increase the pool of bigway flyers in this country. Make it more interesting for you westerners to come out to a future Canada Big Way record event!

And it happens -- since the most likely two dropzones for Canada Record are Skydive Burnaby (held the last record), and Nouvelair (supporter of tunnel, held the Canadian Nationals, at least in 2005). Both are within rough driving range of Skyventure Montreal (~7.5 hours and ~1 hour respectively). NouvelAir also happens to host Team Evolution, the Canada 4 way champions that are tunnel coaches and big supporters of the tunnel... (Their tunnel coaching helped me achieve my first 49-way at Perris P3 in May)

This could mean a bigger Canada Big Way Record when one is finally scheduled in the future!

Actually, I just thought of a way that might actually affect you Western Canadians indirectly:

Canadians in the East will now become better RW bellyflyers. Increase the pool of bigway flyers in this country. Make it more interesting for you westerners to come out to a future Canada Big Way record event!

Having spoken with several people from out west who did not come to the last record, I fail to see how a tunnel in Montreal is going to address any of the reasons they cited for not coming - the main one being getting on the record. It's no small expense for someone in somewhere like Vancouver, Edmonton or Calgary to fly out to Toronto/Montreal and live for a week. It can be hard to justify the expense when the possibility exists that you can come out here and not make it onto the record.

I think there are certainly things we could do to address some of those concerns, but a wind tunnel in Montreal is not part of that.

True, true...

And it happens -- since the most likely two dropzones for Canada Record are Skydive Burnaby (held the last record), and Nouvelair (supporter of tunnel, held the Canadian Nationals, at least in 2005). Both are within rough driving range of Skyventure Montreal (~7.5 hours and ~1 hour respectively). NouvelAir also happens to host Team Evolution, the Canada 4 way champions that are tunnel coaches and big supporters of the tunnel... (Their tunnel coaching helped me achieve my first 49-way at Perris P3 in May)

This could mean a bigger Canada Big Way Record when one is finally scheduled in the future!

Hmmmm... the world doesn't revolve around Central Canada.

It is more cost effective for Western Canadians to travel to Arizona or California to jump than it is to travel to Ontario or Quebec and the quality of the skydives are better. (and they have tunnels there as well).

Other nations such as Germany and Mexico are doing their National records in locations such as Eloy or Perris since that is where the lift is. Why insist that the Canadian Record must be set in Canada? The Drop Zones don't make money off the additional aircraft being flown in and they are at risk if the event is weathered out.

And to say that a tunnel in Montreal will mean that Central Canadians will be better belly flyers than Western Canadians is quite the stretch of logic. Tunnels are tools, not magic wands.

In addition, Calgary's tunnel will be onstream in a couple of years as well.

Blue ones

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

Having spoken with several people from out west who did not come to the last record, I fail to see how a tunnel in Montreal is going to address any of the reasons they cited for not coming - the main one being getting on the record. It's no small expense for someone in somewhere like Vancouver, Edmonton or Calgary to fly out to Toronto/Montreal and live for a week. It can be hard to justify the expense when the possibility exists that you can come out here and not make it onto the record.

I think there are certainly things we could do to address some of those concerns, but a wind tunnel in Montreal is not part of that.

Brett is on the right track. I have talked to a number of Western Canadians who were at a number of the Large Open and Women's Formations over the last few years and the feedback was less than complimentary (waste of money/time/etc). In contrast the feedback from Western Canadians who have gone to events such as P3 Big Ways has been more than positive.

We all have so much money and time to spend on our past time and people will vote with their feet (and are).

That being said, glad to see that Montreal has broken ground and is pouring concrete. Hope that we can show similar pictures from the Calgary Tunnel soon as well.

Blue Ones

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

the world doesn't revolve around Central Canada.

Of course not! It revolves around Quebec! ;)

Mark was probably a little carried over by his excitement of having a Eloy size tunnel within driving distance. ;)

Anyways, enough debates about where are the better skydivers, here is some more news about the tunnel: Foundation has been poured!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1133807&o=all&op=1&view=all&subj=24828911822&aid=-1&id=578655151&oid=24828911822
Remster

I wasn't aware that Montreal had seceded from Quebec and joined the province of Ontario.

That's not what I meant, I was reffering to Mark's comments, as I believe he is from Ontario...
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

Mark was probably a little carried over by his excitement of having a Eloy size tunnel within driving distance. ;)

That's right! ;)

However, I also agree with Brett too as well.

About "tunnel are tools" -- I agree with MajorDad! Just optional tools, but good tools nontheless!

Without some 4-way tunnel time, I wouldn't have done a 49-way from a winter layover in only 28 jumps. (Logbook shows only 28 jumps in the 6 months preceding my 49-way on Jump #273) (P.S. I also want to thank Team Evolution for their help.)

Breaking news!

I got the Skyventure Montreal brochure!
It has a picture of what Skyventure Montreal will look like.

I am at NouvelAir today, the dropzone run by the people building Skyventure Montreal. I have obtained some Skyventure Montreal brochures with the January 2009 opening date.

Here is a Skyventure Montreal brochure teaser photo

Come to Skydive Gananoque's Labour Day Boogie (Aug 30, 31, Sept 1) and I will give you one of these. The brochure itself is a coupon too for a tunnel time discount. They are numbered, one discount per person.

The official address of Skyventure Montreal is:
2700, av. du Cosmodome
Laval, Ontario
(Right by the Silvercity multiplex cinema)

Okay, I visited the site myself last night on my way home from NouvelAir. Took some pictures! You are seeing Dropzone.com exclusives.

Photo #1 (2008-08-17) - Looking at whole completed foundation
Photo #2 (2008-08-17) - Looking deep in the end zone
Photo #3 (2008-08-17) - The cinema multiplex the Skyventure is built right next to

I meant Colossus, not Silver City. Same cineplex brand, but different multiplex name.

Also, when using google maps, search for "Rue du Cosmodome, Laval, QC, Canada" as the exact address does not seem to be in Google Maps.

(Permission granted specifically to three parties: NouvelAir/Skyventure/bodyflight.net to use my photos on their website or forum...if anyone is reading this.)

In-house services for Skydivers and their teams.

3- Private rooms for briefing, debriefing and video review.
1- Kitchenette.
1- Class room.
1- Creeping and stretching room.

Services available nearby.

- Part of a large urban lifestyle center.
- Dinning, bar, entertainment and shopping.
- Hotel for all budgets.
- Cinema with 18 theaters
- Gym.
- Tourist attractions.
- Close to many drop zones.

P.A.