bradp

iFly Singapore

Great news for anyone interested. Found a bunch of news articles and videos about a new tunnel opening up in Singapore in mid 2009. It is apparently going to be the same size as Paraclete (16.5ft).

Check the links below. Anyone who knows more info about it please post it :-)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3byP-XhTJ-U

http://travel.asiaone.com/Travel/News/Story/A1Story20080515-65377.html

http://www.truveo.com/iFly-Singapore-Breaking-News/id/1089282878

http://www.youth.sg/content/view/5014/63/

http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?p=5300287

http://www.rsi.sg/english/discoveringsingapore/view/20080611164353/1/.html

I live in Singapore and just read about the new iFLY tunnel. It will be based on Sentosa island and plans to open Q1 2009, apparently it part of the Skyventure group. Sounds awesome, with no DZ here it will very welcome for local jumpers.B|

Better than going up to Genting every weekend, eh?
Why don't you just go to the police station in a red clown suit and let everybody know what we're doing here?

I have a phobia for moobs. Thanks, youknowwhoyouare.

I was at Airkix in Milton Keynes the past 2 Mondays and there were a bunch of instructors who are going to be working out in Singapore getting instructor training. (yes, even though it's 12 months away from completion!)

Such quality entertainment watching some of the Airkix tunnel instructors behaving like the worst students ever doing everything wrong all in one session.

Last I heard was that they were going to order parts months back, but they were 2-3x what they should have been, so they waited for the costs to come down... and then the world's economies collapsed and that put a bit of a hitch in that plan of buying fans et al.
Not again!

From http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_652761.html

AN IMPROVED version of Singapore's indoor skydiving simulator will finally open this month after a delay of about half a year.

Costing more than $25 million, iFly Singapore will be the world's largest indoor skydiving wind tunnel, within which winds will reach speeds of 300kmh. It comprises a five-storey and 5m-wide wind tunnel on a 3,250 sq m plot in southern Sentosa.

Full story requires subscription access. 5m = 16.4 ft
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Indeed very awkward ! They say each skydive is 90sec for pro flyers during "super off peak" for 30min is $950SGD which is $770usd

or

$970 USD during "Normal hrs" FOR 30 MIN!!! Compared to ParacleteXP is $575

2hrs they charge $3,150SGD which is $2,545 USD for super off peak

or

"Normal hrs"
$4,000 SGD which is $3,233 USD.....now compare that to ParacleteXP 2hrs would be $2,300 USD......[:/] That's almost $1,000 USD MORE for the same time. Now I know this isn't a fair comparison, but iflyOrlando is $1,400 USD for 2 hrs

This is really confusing how they list it as skydives and not min and the fact that they say each skydive is 90sec. I've personally never had a 90sec skydive without a wingsuit or tracking suit! lol

Considering the fact that its the same size as ParacleteXP in Raeford, NC it is considerably more expensive. What gives? Ok I understand land is expensive in Singapore and they seem to have prime location but still ! Only during super off peak hrs is it slightly more expensive :(

Edit: to add

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Considering the fact that its the same size as ParacleteXP in Raeford, NC it is considerably more expensive. What gives? Ok I understand land is expensive in Singapore and they seem to have prime location but still ! Only during super off peak hrs is it slightly more expensive :(

Edit: to add

Power is more expensive in Singgas also. and Sentosa Isl. is an amusement and tourist area.

eta..they are also the only decent tunnel in all of south east ais, they are not even remotly look at the SA or Euro markets
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I flew there for the first time last weekend and can say that it is an outstanding set-up there. As big as Bedford, v smooth and powerful and the open perspex walls offer great views in and out...there are massive blackout curtains they can roll down when the Singapore military want to play..

the instructors (talk to Kris or Sebastian)are as good as any working elsewhere and the set-up there is still evolving so very open to suggestions how to organize things for more experienced fliers..

they have two "ambassadors" for the tunnel in the form of two eight and nine year-old girls who, apart from being adorably cute, are scary fliers having more or less lived in the tunnel for the past few months..

it is for sure more expensive than the US but there is no alternative in the region and I imagine will see good interest once word gets out

having not flown for a year while I waited for this to (finally) open, now all i need to do is find somewhere to actually jump in the neighbourhood..
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

it is for sure more expensive than the US but there is no alternative in the region and I imagine will see good interest once word gets out

having not flown for a year while I waited for this to (finally) open, now all i need to do is find somewhere to actually jump in the neighbourhood..

For the prices they are currently charging, for me it was cost prohibitive to go there.
I booked 7 hours of COACHED time in Eloy with world rated coaches, and including the air flight to Eloy, it came in just slightly over the cost of 7 hours of Tunnel time ALONE, not including coaching, not including airfares, not on a DZ, and not including accommodation.

I think once folks have got a decent amount of tunnel time and are allowed to self fly and fly with other NON coaches, the cost of Singapore becomes more affordable. I can see splitting a couple of hours with 4 people being acceptable.

But for a beginning tunnel flyer, it appears more cost effective to travel to the States.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I completely agree. If I just need "bulk" tunnel time to hang out with friends, I can fly here in China for about 500 USD/hour. And if I need a coached time, it's still cheaper to go to the States or Russia. I may visit the place in Singapore just to get another notch on the barrel, but the prices are way too high for any serious training session.

We were over on Sentosa island during a recent trip to Singapore and thought we'd go do 5-10 minutes between two of us so we could say we'd flown there.

After some confusion over the pricing structure we eventually realised that it was going to cost us a fortune to do a few indoor 'skydives' and saved our money to do 4-5 times more in the UK.

I've been waiting to for them to get back to me for a bulk purchase (10hrs) with coaching.

I live in OZ and jus seemed easy to go there but i'vebeen given the run around and have decided, FU*K THEM I'm going to the states.
*IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED... SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!!!*

I've been waiting to for them to get back to me for a bulk purchase (10hrs) with coaching.

I live in OZ and jus seemed easy to go there but i'vebeen given the run around and have decided, FU*K THEM I'm going to the states.

Juzzie for 10 hours it is MUCH cheaper to go to the states.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

i was only doing it cause i get 5 days off at atime, so it was quicker to go there.....

but said stff em i'm curretly booking in at arizona ;)

i'll only go to ifly singpore now only if i am good enough to fly on my own with otheres without a coach

they have lost my business

*IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED... SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!!!*

i was only doing it cause i get 5 days off at atime, so it was quicker to go there.....

but said stff em i'm curretly booking in at arizona ;)

i'll only go to ifly singpore now only if i am good enough to fly on my own with otheres without a coach

they have lost my business

when for? Im working on a 20 hour deal for April between 17-30th if you are interested.
If we get 20hours booked for a 10 day period it's a Cheaper rate per hour.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?