Toastie

Anyone from Perris Valley Tunnel?

hi all,

I am an AFF student and was thinking about going down to the Perris Valley tunnel to practice my arch and lower body before i move on to the release dives, so that I can work on being more stable & reduce my "stiff-as-a-board" like form in the sky. Just wondering about the Perris Valley indoor tunnel, and if it is a good idea for practicing during AFF training? Does it simulate freefall pretty well & how is it at this particular tunnel? Thanks!:)

Do it. all the Skyventures are great for learning comfort in freefall.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Work on body position and run through the dive flow of your next level. We've had great success with putting people in pull position and have them fly around the tunnel in that position. There seems to be alot of stability issues around pull time so we build confidence around that. I suggest that you get coaching.

ParacleteXP

"Pull position" you mean a big old stable arch? That's a good point.

We had one guy's girlfriend go to the tunnel who took AFF later. She was very good and pretty much started out in mantis and learned it all that way in the tunnel. (like 45 minutes that first year)

Only later did she decide to be a skydiver and not just in the tunnel.

Once she decided to go AFF, the mantis experience required a bit of thought with her instructors. They decided to go this route: She could go ahead and do the dives in mantis (her comfort zone, and avoids the confusion of retraining the muscle memory), but at pull time, they wanted her to get the elbows back, and the bigger/more stable arch ala the 'normal' AFF body position. (for just the reason you noted)

It worked great for her.
She finished early
Was able to focus even better on exits and canopy control because her freefall was excellent
Her turns were snappy and centerpoint and dead clean - shocked her instructors actually (in a good way)
One of her post graduation jumps was with 3 of us experienced types and the 4-way netted over 20 points (and we made her fly:P, no 'freebies').

The only down side is a bit of reluctance to do her needed solos for licensing requirements. And I think nothing but experience will develop the confidence to really nail exits and hop and pops, further canopy experience, etc.

She'll be a VERY good skydiver and is on her way. And is a joy to jump with.

The tunnel is a great tool for prepping for AFF.

Heck, my wife went to Flyaway before her training and I know it helped us avoid a couple repeat level$.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

By pull position I mean hand on ripcord and other above head. We have them hold the position and forward-backward, turn, and slide. It really builds their confidence. Many students on AFF do perfect practice pulls and then tend to roll over at pull time.

ParacleteXP

By pull position I mean hand on ripcord and other above head. We have them hold the position and forward-backward, turn, and slide. It really builds their confidence. Many students on AFF do perfect practice pulls and then tend to roll over at pull time.

ahh yes, instability at pull time is what I am worried about.

...The only down side is a bit of reluctance to do her needed solos for licensing requirements. And I think nothing but experience will develop the confidence to really nail exits and hop and pops, further canopy experience, etc.

Why was she reluctant to do her solos? It seems she had more experience than others who are doing AFF.

...The only down side is a bit of reluctance to do her needed solos for licensing requirements. And I think nothing but experience will develop the confidence to really nail exits and hop and pops, further canopy experience, etc.

Why was she reluctant to do her solos? It seems she had more experience than others who are doing AFF.

Simple

Because she REALLY likes 4-way :D:D:D

I'm afraid we spoiled her.

I did exact thing you suggested about a year ago; spent time in the tunnel perfecting body position during AFF course. Best thing I ever did. My first several real jumps before tunnel I felt like a real air dork flailing through the air. About 30 Tunnel minutes later(in about 3-4 sessions) the coach verified all phases of AFF flight.
You can get a tunnel coach there or have one of your AFF instructors coach you. Advantage of having your AFF instructor there is that they know your skydive weak points.
The tunnel work is translated into confidence during real skydives...only difference was exits & deploying and you can practise stable body position for pulls. Tunnel time is not cheap but that vs. repeating AFF levels its worth it. Great option for days you cant jump cause of wind, time, etc., also.
Perris tunnel is great, never had a bad experience there! Just took my 2 kids there today also for 1st time and they loved it also.:)