NewClearSports

Why don't skydiver's like Vegas Style Tunnels?

Ok, So I'm a skydiver that is working at the new Niagara Falls Tunnel. In the few weeks that we have been open, I have only seen a hand full of skydivers. Of those people I can think of only one that did more then just the 3 mins.
It is the off season and I am puzzled that more skydivers aren,t taking advantage of this new toy of ours. I know it,s not a skyventure, with perfect wall to wall air, and freefly airspeed, BUT it still is ALOT of FUN! Really!
Tonight I just had a 10 min play time that was a blast (no pun intended). We were bouncing off the top net, busting out rotating T's, Freek flying / Chair flying, Back flying. Little 2 way RW ect. FUN FUN FUN.
For me I,m just looking at this as a whole new sport in of itself.
What I know is hard for the experienced skydiver is to initally go in there and think you can bust out some bad ass moves, but then quickly realized it is alot harder then it looks. My 1st few minutes in there I sucked big time, I could hardly stay in the air and was falling out all over the place. Hey wait, I got 1250 Jumps, I was on the Canadian HD Record, Why do I suck so bad. AGAIN Remember it,s a new game, different rules.
Don,t worry, you will figure it out quickly. Give it 10 mins or 15 mins. I can asure you, that you will be WOWing the Wuffo,s. Heck if you can go up / down and turn you will WOW them. So you might look silly for 3 -5 mins. Get over it!
Another thing I,m hearing is "I will develop bad habbits". Again it is alot different. I personaly don,t feel it will have any negative affect to my skydiving, but I guess I can't say for sure untill Jumping season starts up again. I'm learning things I never even thought of trying in the sky, but on my next jump you can bet I,m going to be trying some of them.

Anyway, I'm just looking for skydivers input or thoughts on this subject. Let me know what you think, and what your experiences are.

Cheers
Mike

think of it this way..

sure you can get just as drunk and enjoy yourself with pale watery beer instead of well crafted microbrews, but why would you if you had the choice?

with modern high speed tunnels popping up everywhere in the world why bother with the last generations substitutes?

I used to like flying there until the owners tried to use a picutre I took on a billboard without any compensation.:S

They thought the picture was good enough to show to millions of people who use the vegas strip and they thought it would promote their business....

Not so much as a free flight was offered.

They wanted to use it perpetually,too.
One of the managers got bend out of shape because he thought I was asking for THOUSANDS of dollars. Yet, not once did he offer anything.

I would have settled for $500. That would have paid for my next months worth of flights.

I used to organize groups of skydivers to go every thursday and I bright a few military groups in.
They in turn comped me a few flights. I was going to write an article for them for some magazines, too.

Apparently, that manager thought I flew for free everytime.

So, what was just a misunderstanding on his part turned out to make them lose my business. I stopped organizing groups and I stopped flying.

I used to go every thursday with at least one or two people. Sometimes I would get a free flight sometimes I wouldn't even get the skydivers discount but I didn't whine, I didn't bitch, until now that is.

The fact is Flyaway is not made with todays technology. (duh)

It is fun to fly it if you got time to feel the difference.
Many of the people working their will tell you that flyaway is TUNNEL FLYING as opposed to skydiving.

I was able to kick off the walls and jump back into the air. It was fun.

Then the managers and owners showed that their motto of "share the love" means "Fuck you, if (edit) don'tyou give me what I want for free."

This all took place about 4-6 months ago and I haven't posted anything about it because I ddint see a reason.

Now, that you asked, I thought I'd give you an honest answer.

My photos

My Videos

it's the same cost as a skyventure tunnel (or more expensive) and they don't offer skydiver discounts. For a less powerful tunnel it doesn't make much sense. Not the mention the 3x 1 minute intervals - blocks purchased in 3 minutes. How can anyone learn that way? Maybe it works great for people who work there because you get 10 minutes of fun time. You don't have to pay a penny & you get a full 10 mins of time in 1 shot. Doesnt work that way for other people. Before you ask, yes I called. I'll still try it out hoping its not as bad as I imagine in my head, but so far it doesnt sound so fantastic. It seems as though its completely geared toward tourist and they don't want skydivers there. If they did, they would bother to develop a better program for them. Just my thoughts.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body"

I'll refer you to my first post.

The employees don't get free flights anymore.
They may have changed that rule by now but for a long time they took away all perks.

The Management and owners made some really stupid rules that pissed alot of people off.

One weekend the saturday crew came in late so they grounded EVERYONE for a very long time.

Idiot move. They should have grounded the saturday crew.

The managers will come in and take the groups who they know or expect will tip well, then they'll leave without helping clean up or control etc.

Pretty shitty way to run a business.
My photos

My Videos

My 1st few minutes in there I sucked big time, I could hardly stay in the air and was falling out all over the place. Hey wait, I got 1250 Jumps, I was on the Canadian HD Record, Why do I suck so bad. AGAIN Remember it,s a new game, different rules.

I went to the Perris tunnel with only 12 jumps under my belt and was flying great after about a minute.

True, I did read your post and I got side tracked.

As far as that STYLE tunnel I would not fly in it until they offered a skydiver discount.

Originally they wanted $75 for three minutes and then $35 for each additional 2 or 3-minute block(AKA ONE FLIGHT).

At the price, it is not worth the flight.They started offering skydiver rates at $20/flt (and sometimes I would get charged if the girl at the counter was new)
I started flying at $20/flt and enjoyed it after a few tries.
Then I started organizing groups and giving the employees free video and still at the DZ so I would get a few free flights at the tunnel.

There was a spike in my learning curve and I got pretty good in there.

It was about 3 or 6 months into it that I got hooked.
As I said before and will continue to say, I had fun in the vegas tunnel.

If I had a flyaway in town and a skyventure an hour away I would drive the hour to get skyventure air more often than I would go into flyaway.

If flyaway was my only choice (and it was) I would fly there(and I did) (if the price was right)
My photos

My Videos

Is there something about working in a windtunnel that causes people to get into other people's business, gossip and bicker on public forums? Must be the wind... :S

No but what is your problem with it?
Someone aska question and I answered it honestly.
Go research my previous posts on flyaway you'll see I was always honest.

I still like flying there but the owners are douchbags.
That's my answer.
My photos

My Videos

the owners are douchbags

Tell us how you really feel, why don't'cha :ph34r:

I've said for years that the owners of Skyride are douchebags. If JTVal says the owners of the Las Vegas Flyaway tunnel are douchebags (in their own ways), I'll believe him.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

the owners are douchbags

I've said for years that the owners of Skyride are douchebags. If JTVal says the owners of the Las Vegas Flyaway tunnel are douchebags (in their own ways), I'll believe him.

who is the owner of skyride? is it another skydiver? why aren't saying his/her name?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

the owners are douchbags

who is the owner of skyride? is it another skydiver? why aren't saying his/her name?

Are you saying you don't know? :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

WOW JT, and I thought we were friends. I didn't think you were this kind of person. I really don't appreciate your turning a missunderstanding/misscommunication about a photo into all of a sudden we're douche bags who run a shitty business. If you have a problem with our managment style that's fine, but this is just plain disrespectful.

Anyway, my 2 cents on the orriginal poster's question. I find that the skydivers who struggle in the Flyaway style tunnels are struggling because they are flying as though they are in the sky or in a modern tunnel. You can absolutely learn principals that apply to the sky or a modern tunnel but when you take the moves from tunnel to tunnel, or tunnel to sky you need to fly it a little differently. The orriginal poster mentioned doing things in the Flyaway style tunnel that he wouldn't think of doing in the sky, next time you find yourself at that style tunnel take advantage of trying some new, possibly goofy stuff. You might surprise yourself.

BTW we do offer discounts to skydivers.

A long time ago I came to terms with the fact that no matter what a lot of people are going to talk shit about my home tunnel. Look, we all love to fly, so why the disrespect? Make a skydive with a Flyaway tunnel rat and tell me that tunnel doesn't teach you how to fly.

Brad Hess
Manager of that old, hot and slow Vegas wind tunnel
Brad Hess
Manager
Vegas Indoor Skydiving

Then there's the other side. I have about 1700 skydives and hundreds of hours in tunnels; most of it in SkyVenture Orlando. I've done a few hours in FlyAway Las Vegas and a just a few minutes in FlyAway Pigeon Forge. I absolutely LOVE both of them.

Flying in that style of wind tunnel is not skydiving, but neither is flying in ANY wind tunnel.

If you go to a tunnel and are open to what the staff at the tunnel has to say and just go expecting to have fun, then you'll have a great time. That's what tunnel flying and skydiving are all about anyway, right? Just enjoy it all for what it is. :)

Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

WOW JT, and I thought we were friends. I didn't think you were this kind of person. I really don't appreciate your turning a missunderstanding/misscommunication about a photo into all of a sudden we're douche bags who run a shitty business. If you have a problem with our managment style that's fine, but this is just plain disrespectful.

You'll notice I said one of the managers got bent out of shape. And according to his words he speaks for the owners, who coincidently, I thought were decent people. I tried to get him to have them talk to me but he said he spoke for them. So I guess that lumps them all together.

Disrespectful? Nah, I gave someone an honest answer to a question.
I DID STATE that I would fly in it and I had fun there but after the "misscommunication" between the other manager and I it was made clear that I was no longer welcome there. I did tell you that I would not fly there due to the hostility. Not that I ever thought it would come to a physical altercation, but the drama from the miscommunication was just ridiculous.

And I guess the part about a shitty business may have been misworded. It's a good business that is run badly, IMO.

My reasoning:
If that miscommunication is how they treat someone who did as much for them as they did for me then I can only assume that that is the way business is handled.

I just got off the phone with one employee/friend there who felt I was attacking all of you. That is not the case.
(I do not appreciate the 3 page text message about Karma that I received from her and I flipped my lid at her. Until I took a breath, at her request, and spoke about it with her. She still feels that my post is personal attack.)

I said it a lot of times time I like flying in the tunnel. And I said that the OWNERS are douchbags (because the other manager apparently speaks for them.)

So, just for the record, I think the employees that I know (you've got a lot of new ones in the last 4-6 months) are still a fun loving bunch of people. They make the experience nicer. But had any of the owners tried to contact me this would have gone from miscommunication to a conversation.

Anyway, my 2 cents on the orriginal poster's question. I find that the skydivers who struggle in the Flyaway style tunnels are struggling because they are flying as though they are in the sky or in a modern tunnel. You can absolutely learn principals that apply to the sky or a modern tunnel but when you take the moves from tunnel to tunnel, or tunnel to sky you need to fly it a little differently. The orriginal poster mentioned doing things in the Flyaway style tunnel that he wouldn't think of doing in the sky, next time you find yourself at that style tunnel take advantage of trying some new, possibly goofy stuff. You might surprise yourself.

BTW we do offer discounts to skydivers.

A long time ago I came to terms with the fact that no matter what a lot of people are going to talk shit about my home tunnel. Look, we all love to fly, so why the disrespect? Make a skydive with a Flyaway tunnel rat and tell that tunnel doesn't teach you how to fly.

Brad Hess
Manager of that old, hot and slow Vegas wind tunnel

You know how much trash they talked to the tunnel employees about my DZ when we shot the video for the project. I left all that to them. I never went out of my way to trash the tunnell but I have ALWAYS been honest and I won't stop doing that because some one may not like what I have to say.

I learned a lot in the vegas tunnel. It did help me improve my flying and my confidence in my flying ability. I had some great times in there and INSIDE THE TUNNEL was ALWAYS FUN. My last experience there was a lasting one that unfortunately tainted the "Share the love" motto.

So to the OP's question why dont flyer like Vegas styled tunnels? That was my answer.

I LIKE FLYING IT IN. What I didn't like was already posted.
My photos

My Videos

Then there's the other side. I have about 1700 skydives and hundreds of hours in tunnels; most of it in SkyVenture Orlando. I've done a few hours in FlyAway Las Vegas and a just a few minutes in FlyAway Pigeon Forge. I absolutely LOVE both of them.

Flying in that style of wind tunnel is not skydiving, but neither is flying in ANY wind tunnel.

If you go to a tunnel and are open to what the staff at the tunnel has to say and just go expecting to have fun, then you'll have a great time. That's what tunnel flying and skydiving are all about anyway, right? Just enjoy it all for what it is. :)

VERY TRUE. A LOT of skydivers go in there with Ego's.
That makes their experience a bad one. Which {EDIT:} Probably {done edit} isn't limited to a different tunnel.
My photos

My Videos

Nah, I won't keep it private.

Here's the respectful friendship and family atmosphere of the vegas tunnel .

Shamefully disrespectful, and everyone who has seen your posts has agreed.

If you attack one of us, or the company, then in our eyes you are attacking all of us. This is a family and we look out for each other.

I really thought we were friends, even after the drama (which we all thought was trivial and behind us), but apparently we are not. No friend of mine would be so rude.

So you think we run our business badly...Fuck you. We're flying over 110 people a day and breaking records while still finding room for and taking care of frequent flyers. Yeah we're really screwing up.

As far as I'm concerned I've lost a friend today.

-Brad

And from Carly

This is Carly's Text message to me.

"Dude, I've always been cool with you, I know there are 2 sides to every story, but what the FUCK? Why would you trash us like that? Karma is a fucking bitch and you've got some karma coming your way. You kiss your mother with that mouth? calling us douchebags and a shitty business? WHat kind of whine do you like with your cheese? WTF Jt?"

These are the people who claimed to be friends and family!

Hey Carly, It's "how much chesse would I like with my whine"

Since this whole ordeal with Dave went down I was aware of who my friends and family are. you guys dissapeared back then.

EDIT: to be fair I should post my PM in rpely to Brad's

Here you go.
Share the love.

as far as I am concerned the whole ordeal with Dave had everyone there treating me like I was worng to begin for expecting to be paid so FUCK YOU with you fake friendship if thats how you feel douchebag.

My Apologies to the OP that this thread ended up getting so diluted.
My photos

My Videos

JT, you are a disgrace to the community of tunnel flying, let alone skydiving. You were always taken care of here at Flyaway and you know it. The "misunderstanding/miscommunication" between you and myself was squashed as far as I thought, but I guess you're not a man of your word. Also it's quite funny how you start your trash talking after you have left our fine city. You are a coward JT.

Dave the only thing that was "squashed" between you and I was that we agreed to disagree.

You were too drunk to hear anything I had to say that night, anyway.

Grow up.

As far as trash talking there is none here.
The only comment that are an opinion is the DBAG comment I made. You are the one who did not handle things properly. Your misunderstanding of the freebies made you assume that I was getting a free ride everytime. That was not even close.
Yes,I did get "free flights" just as much as you all got "free video and stills" from me. I would use the word TRADE.

Coward? Why do you thnk that? It's not like I'll never be in Vegas, again? If you can not handle honest opinions maybe you should think about that before you try to take advantage of "friendship."

I was the one who spoke to you at the DZ and tried to "squash" this. You were the one who started to avoid me when I asked if we were going to act like children or grown ups.

Than you spoke to me in the bar and that was that. I just agree to disagree with you since you had your timeline all screwed up.

As I have always done here, and elsewhere, Dave. I will speak honestly weather or not your feelings are hurt.

And if anyone readin g this content can make heads or tails of it, they'll see that I did not bash the TUNNEL. I spoke of the interaction I had with you.
Brad and carly seem to have the same mentality you do. Since I disagree with you than "I lost a friend." Truth is we never were friends, apparently.

Who's got the popcorn?
My photos

My Videos

First of all i dont know anybody in this conversation.

GO JT. If a buis. wont take care of someone that that has helped them, F@$K them. I am a buis. owner and would bend over backward to help anyone that will help me. I dont know the story behind all of this but, for manigers to bad mouth someone on a public forum is not good buis. As for Carly do you kiss your mother with that mouth??? Just cuase you didnt put it on a forum doesnt mean it wont end up there:D:D:D. Ohh and JT your replys are nicer than mine would have been;)

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!