stormywinters

What can make tunnel flying dangerous?

Lets see There is a website that goes over the progression to keep you safe. www.tunnelflight.com If you follow it you will be safe. Also if you learn in a IBA rated tunnel the instructors are trained to keep you safe. IF you are goin to do a belly to belly front flip you should learn it in 1/2 transitions first that means belly to back, then back to belly, then put it all together.

Yeah, I mean more so, like, what have we learned as tunnel flyers, that we could pass on. I saw this video of a lady doing a belly to belly back loop, and fell (very hard) on her head. She was okay, yet, I thought "doesn't everyone know that at belly speeds you can not tuck a back loop and stay on level".
So, I think people ask how to prep for tunnel time?, and I think lots of people could learn from our mistakes.
Like check the wind speed before you jump in. I have learn that one..... several times.;)

Thats a good one!! 95% of some tunnels may NOT pin you any where. Every tunnel is much different at different percentages. I know it messes me up.
Some will say "top it out". In some of the newer tunnels you just want to fly a minute or two before seeing what they have "under the hood".
The Orlando/Perris stlye tunnel, you have to work to get to the top, and some of their flyers/instructors have banged those turning vanes at the top pretty hard(in the newer recirculated tunnels).

Well for starters, not only wear a hard shell helmet with jaw guard, but also wear your gloves. I had my helmet, but went in there bare handed. Not a good idea for my first time in a wind tunnel. No injuries but got my fingers through the net once and wished I had my gloves on.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban