starzwithaz

Line over

"It's several jump tickets to replace the pillow", "my girlfrind was watching and I didn't want to scare her", "well, it didn't occur to me until I was at about 1500 feet". "I knew I had a Cypres, so I wasn't worried".

People actually said these things? I hope that they follow that with "but I now realize how dumb that was".
I heard another one a couple of weeks ago from a CRW dawg who let a streamer go from about 10k to 3k, then cut it away. "I wanted the main to land on the dz".
Gulp.

Jump 22, major Line over, spin started slow (Sabre 260) and progressed into a serious G force spin. I was completely aware and ready to react...."
How is this different?

I don't want to get too bogged down in this, because I seem to just dig myself deeper, but I went back and re-read your story and this one. I got the sense that things happened very quickly (which was my original impression) in your case and in this case things progresssed more slowly.
Nevertheless, let's assume for the moment that they were both the same. I don't think either of you did anything wrong. You both handled it appropriate to your experience and comfort level. You're both here to talk about it and that's what matters.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

HEY EVERBODY!!!!
I have always loved the saying (actually I think it's a chinese proverb) "Live a thousand lives". We are living other jumpers lives and experiences through Drop Zone.Com
IS THAT NOT AWESOME??????????
"There is no wrong, only learn" YOTA
Thanks for sharing :)
Blue Skies and Sandy Beaches
Starz

DZBone - yes, they really said that. My mental jaw opened, and let the flies in.
And Starz, don't know how I missed your first post about being relaxed. And not wanting to get my hand slapped any further, or get into any sort of disagreement with (any of) you, I will just not offer any additional comment. Sorry.
Zennie, you're right - mine happened very fast and violently; and perhaps Starz's didn't. I can only share what I felt. And try to offer that as an experience. Perhaps I shouldn't have.
I have had a horrid day - and there are two guys from Perris who had it worse. I walked away. Neither of them did. Ambulances on the fields of Perris is not a good sight.
As I feel my inexperience creeping up, and threatening to bite me in the ass, I think I will go now.
Michele

Another thing to think about.You are open at 3000',you decide to land it,and at less than 1000'the line cuts through a cell.What then?

I don't have any idea who this is in response to.. If it is in response to my post - re-read my post.. I did not say I would try to land a line-over, I said I would cut the offending line.. How, exactly, would a cut line(which would likely be trailing behind the canopy from the attachment point) - under no tension - cut through a cell?
We could play the what if game all day long.. How about this one.. You have a line over, you could easily cut the offending line and land the thing, but you decide to cutaway.....and your reserve is baglocked.. Or you have an RSL, get an unstable deployment after chopping, and have a reserve bridle wrap around your body and you burn in?
Thousands of scenarios - let's not try to play every one out.. I know what I would do in such a situation - period.
Today, my canopy(actually a demo from PD) opened into about 8 line twists, and immediately began to spin.. I pulled at 4.5 after doing some video, and was under the spinner around 3.7.. What would you have done? Chopped immediately? I had plenty of altitude to deal with it before I got to my decision altitude.. I could see no specific reason for it to be spinning(such as a step through - which would be useless to try to correct), so I worked on the line twists first.. I was about halfway there when I came through 3k.. By 2.5, I cleared the line twists, grabbed both toggles and unstowed the brakes.. Guess what? Flew great.. After reviewing the video, the line twists were distorting the right hand leading edge - effectively the same as a front riser turn..
Not everything is cut and dry..
Mike

"I figure that what the thing is there for! I haven't spent $50 every 120 days just for it to take up space in the container."
I pack my own reserve, and yes, I trust it. I also make enough money that I don't care about losing a freebag/pilot chute or handles. Still, that being said, I am going to try and work out SOME malfunctions under SOME mains. My personal hard-deck is around 1000 feet. I have chopped from a CRW wrap at 900 and know that my shit works, so that is plenty high for me, though it is obviously not what I teach my students.
Chuck

After my first reserve ride under my own gear (which I'd only owned for a couple of days at that point) I was standing around in the hangar with the instructors, figuring out who would do the repack, where I could buy another cutaway pillow, etc. I did the mental arithmetic and said, "Geez, that was an expensive fucking skydive!"
My friend and instructor looked at me and said, "No, Jessica, when you chop and lose your main AND the freebag AND your cutaway pillow AND the reserve handle -- then burn in under a half-opened reserve -- THAT's an 'expensive fucking skydive.'"
True dat.

The last time I found myself hanging under a main with a line-over, I glanced at my altimeter and at the Fraser River directly below. Reluctant to lose my main, I remembered a trick that has worked for me many times with tension knots under Strong 425 tandem mains. The trick is to pull both toggles into a deep stall, then let both up quickly. When the canopy dives forward, the lines go slack and most line knots release.
Luckily, this trick also cleared my line-over.

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH My two cents ...My two cents.....
I trust my reserve...if I didnt I wouldnt be jumping. As long as you keep a watch on your altitude you did perfectly. The problem is under smaller canopies (which you will surely fly in your skydiving career) the situation changes drastically. Spins, descent rates, and 100 other factors are more radical..enough to render you unconcious or cause 3 ring binding that can make a cutaway harder if not impossible. I just think it's a bad habit to be in of riding malfunctions for any length of time. In student training I hung in the harness. The only malfunctions I was trained not to cut away from was a hung slider and pilot chute over the nose. I'm probably gonna stick with that but every situation is different. I saw someone who shall remain nameless try to land a pretty highly loaded 150 with several broken lines. He was a 500+ jumper and thought he had the situation under control. The canopy colapsed when he flaired and he has a nice amount of hardware in his wrist. Just food for thought and my two cents as guy with 66 free falls.....

hmm line over...
last week i got to land a 95 with the left line over.
wouldn't clear and wasn't too happy with more than a few inches of brake tension on that side.
i didn't feel like choping and i figured i had practiced rear riser landing enough times for better surfs, what the hell.... mind you during practice i always kept the toggles in hand. this time at 1500' when i made my decision i let go of my toggles. i didn't want to instintually on landing pull the toggle and risk collapsing the canopy.
i went for a big corn field, set up over the tree line, did my usual 180 carving front riser and then surfed out on rear risers. for most of the surf i didn't need to remain on the rear risers, just push them a bit for corrections, at the very end of the surf i was leaning on the rear risers steadily now and was suprised at how fast the canopy was still going. right then was where i could have used a little pop from the brakes to shut the canopy down. i am not used to running at all with my canopy, this time i had to.
it was a good experience as i am now confident i can land completely without toggles. (not to mention i think that was the longest surf i have ever done about 300')
i was loading 2.25 on that jump, i am going to try this again (the landing, not the line over) with a lightly loaded cobalt about 1.3 to see how it differs.
sincerely,
dan
atair