Allballs

What up with Orlando??

Glad I don't know anything about the politics. I'm sure having so many tunnels around has messed up orlando's business over the last few years. I hadn't gone to orlando in years until a few weeks ago because of the new hampshire tunnel. It's looking a bit older and worn out than I remembered it, but the air felt fine and I had a great time. Didn't really notice any difference between it and the new hampshire tunnel as far as the air goes, but I'm not doing head down or anything and I wasn't in my most familiar position (I was back flying).

So as far as I could tell, orlando is doing just fine for a skydiver like me.

Dave

Gravityizsexy: Shame on you Anthony.

-Bowen

there isn't an instructor out there who isn't capable of missing spots, all the more reason for steps upward, and as for my 'friends' I'll put myself out-of-pocket for so long before I put on the brakes... How am I going to screw someone else when my name was the only one on the power bill. But if thats the story down there, it honestly doesn't surprise me. Guess I won't be defending them anymore.

Let me explain something to you, I'm an actuarial pricing consultant... It's my job to crunch numbers on an infinite level, I learned how to do this from the best corporation in the world. quantum theory is my life!, I have a TS.SCI clearance you don't get making foolish decisions (like not paying rent or having DEBT) or performing below average. Do you honestly think I'm going to return to an environment with closed, translative communication? Everyone knows I would have done all I could for that tunnel, especially when Marc came in with his new ideas. Then he lost trust in his staff, (rightfully so I might add) after that illogical and irrational decisions were made fucking up my plans for the future of the tunnel. Business was at a stand-still, progress was halted... and then we went backwards. It got to the point where project margin lines were consistently failing waiting for chips to fall in place, management was abysmal, moderate at best... Not saying they don't try hard, but damn..raise the bar a little. I should have realized it the first time when a manager called me to show up at 3:00 for work... showed up after I was done skydiving with you! at 3:00 and was fired on the spot, and I still got the job back because I produce... but hey man, maybe you could be the one to bring the tunnel back to a ranking state... good luck with that bowen. If anyone there thats left can do it, it's you. I sure as hell wasn't going to step up to the plate with shane boxing me out... I had a door to fly out of, upside down. skipping town? I think we can all agree it was my time to go...
I wasn't too comfortable having my job in check every time I wake up, I'm too old for that shit.

"'Someday is not a day in my week'"

Well its been a while since I’ve been on here. As a skydiving tunnel instructor, I now have 32 jumps to my name from 7 different aircraft, including a helicopter. In this small number of jumps I’ve managed to accomplish some fun and interesting formations, ranging from the normal 5 way sit, to a 10 way hybrid (with my sit fly speed being low enough to dock with a RW base), to tracking dives, and back flying and tracking from a helicopter. I’m also very able to coach on belly, back and sit fly.
What does all this have to do with what’s current at Skyventure Orlando? Learning. I owe every bit of my ability to fly to this wonderful piece of machinery that we use as a meeting place to have fun and learn from each and other skydivers as well. Marc and Eric take care of us and we fly as a team.
In my year of being an employee (not all instructor time), I feel I have held on to tidbits that subconsciously add to me as an instructor and skydiver.
The insane, creative, two way free flying of Adam and Brandon, the quickness and cleanness of Randy, the kindness, gentleness of Rick, the comedy and coolness of Earl, the training and safety knowledge of Joe, Chris(!), and Greg, the situational awareness of and know how of Shane, lessons of Craig, Luke, Andy, the progression of Adam D and yes, even the quirky imaginative kungfu flying of Anthony…. And observing of the attitude of them all..
Everyone of them offered something to be learned.

If you still care about those of us who are instructors and skydivers alike, offer us a chance to thrive.
Thank you to all the people who have had positive influences on my life and career. You know who you are :)
Our tunnel is running great and we’d be glad to have you.

-Falling with style (or not)
Kev

Most of the people I hear bad mouthing SVO are repeating the same things they have heard for months and haven't actually been there to see it for themselves.

Some of us have been there through the staff changes and new air straightener, and are tired of having our suggestions or comments fall on deaf ears. You can only suggest the same thing so many times before you feel like a broken record or a neusence.

There has been lots of great talk at the tunnel over the years but results have failed to materialize. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

I can honestly say I was embarrassed to have Tunnel For The Cause at Orlando this year because of the air straightener and how long it was broken. EVERY participant was extremely disappointed with how poorly the tunnel was taken care of and maintained for the event.

Even with the changes in staff (agree or disagree with the changes, it really doesn't matter), there are very few instructors who advanced flyers can learn from. This is the main reason I am not spending my dollar there. When you are limited to 1 or so coaches, it makes training regularly difficult.

Not to mention the fact, SVO had billing issues and they are trying to collect money from flyers that was refunded or never charged. The error was SVO's computer's fault yet they are expecting the flyers to make up for their mistake. From an SVO's employees mouth, Marc honestly thinks that the people who had the billing errors were purposely withholding money from SVO. What a joke, had the error not been brought up to me, I would have never known there was a problem.

I've fought and stuck up for SVO for so long but when you aren't the only tunnel in the country, but still operate as if you are, there are going to be problems.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

It is the most politic absorbed business I've ever been involved with. There are very few who have the class and fortitude to remain above the fray.:|

Every business is like that. Ever worked in the corp world and listened to the 'water cooler' talk that occurs sometimes. I've been ccied on some emails in my old job that aired out worse laundry than this thread ever has. And these were execs with MBA's bickering and gossiping like little pre-teen girls.

Getting coached sitfly by a SVO employee with only 7 skydives is quite comical BTW.

LOL i love these comments from skydivers.....normally before they get in the tunnel and bounce of the walls....before the "New tunnel instructors" give them a few pointers..(For Free by the way) and they all end there session saying what a great time they have had...

As an instructor i learnt head down, back carving, blind carving most my transitions and so much more from Bernd, He has 7 maybe 8 Aff jumps at Perris Valley.

But he does have over 11 years running and instructing in tunnels..

I think this whole Forum Post lets people know there are ALWAYS two sides to every story..

and some people just cant see the big picture..

blue ones and fluffy landings......

It is the most politic absorbed business I've ever been involved with. There are very few who have the class and fortitude to remain above the fray.:|

Every business is like that. Ever worked in the corp world and listened to the 'water cooler' talk that occurs sometimes. I've been ccied on some emails in my old job that aired out worse laundry than this thread ever has. And these were execs with MBA's bickering and gossiping like little pre-teen girls.

Yes I have. And I've worked for several DZ's over the years. I still stand my my assessment.:)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I've had plenty of time to go over what happened, even more time to get over it. I remember everything the exact same way you do. Out of respect for you and you alone, I'll fill you in (from the horses mouth). Since this should have stayed between you and me in the first place.

PM'D...

"'Someday is not a day in my week'"

"LOL i love these comments from skydivers.....normally before they get in the tunnel and bounce of the walls....before the "New tunnel instructors" give them a few pointers..(For Free by the way) and they all end there session saying what a great time they have had..."

hahaha! I would have to agree with this. Given I am not a skydiver (not saying i ever wont be, just haven't gotten around to it) but i do have my tunnel time granted its not much because I haven't been working at SVO for very long. Some guys come in thinking they are the shiznit because they have 10000+ jumps yet they have no tunnel time.. they get in there and they look like wuffos most of the times. Ive even seen wuffos jump in there with no skydiving experience at all and they do way better because they pay attention to what their instructor tells them, whereas some of you skydivers think you already know how to fly in an enclosed air column and quite frankly majority of the time you suck on your initial first minute or so...

While on the topic of instructors, we have the best guys around! They work their asses off to help you and the fact that some of you think its "comical" to get coaching from someone who has less than seven sky dives is just sad. One of the whole selling points about the tunnel is that YOU DON'T NEED SKYDIVING EXPERIENCE TO FLY IN IT!!! They are in there every day learning new things while perfecting what they already know. They all have hours upon hours of tunnel time under their belts. They are the best of the best and do whatever they can to help you achieve your goals for your session. Just because they haven't flown in the sky doesn't mean they don't understand how it all works. These guys are amazing and you should be happy they are willing to go through what they go through on a daily basis and are still enthusiastic about helping you with your flying. These guys love what they do and for those of you who say all the SVO employees hate it there, you better check your sources because I see these guys every day and i never hear them complain. They love teaching people how to fly because its fun and they want others to be just as enthusiastic about it as they are. Sometimes you forget that its really about having fun.

From what I see by all these posts I have gathered that those of you who have posted negative comments about SVO have to have a stick or two shoved up your butt hole. Seriously, its obvious that the only reason why you are posting what you did is because you want to place the blame on someone else. A few of you were fired from SVO, thats your own fault. There are always rules to follow and if you cant man up and follow them then thats on you. It is expected to take it out on the tunnel but come on, grow up!

As for you local skydivers who are unhappy with us, we have acknowledged that we had somewhat lost the connection with the skydiving community. As of recent, we have been taking the steps necessary to rebuild what was lost. If there is something you don't like that we do, stop hiding behind your computer screen and come see us. Talk to us! let us know what you would like to see. We are open to suggestions. Complaining on here is completely pointless. Man up to your posts, come see us and don't be afraid to talk in person.

As for the air straightener.. that thing is a beast. We had employees working around the clock piecing that thing together. Yes it did take a while, but being that this is the type of company that has a maxed out daily profit (we can only take a certain number of people a day) its kind of hard to just shut down completely and have it in over night. Go buy yourself one, put it together, then get back to me and let me know how fast you got it together.

About Marc. He is a cool guy and means well. He is a respectful business owner and that means doing what is necessary to better your company. Drop in sometime while he is in town and chat with him for a few. You will come to know that he is very proud of the tunnel and what we have to offer and wants the best for the customers, them being wuffos and skydivers. Last time he was here he actually went flying for a while and was getting coached by some of our instructors. He loved it in there and understands why tunnel time is important not only to you skydivers and wuffos, but to us employees as well.

So.. that being said, lets all pull the sticks out of our asses, get on with our lives, put the past behind us, and get over ourselves. Whining on here wont get you jack.

-KT

ps

Ari you totally kick ass B|

Good to meet you yesterday! Since it doesn't look like the tunnel is falling down all around you guys, you must be doing a great job!

Keep it up! Look forward to flying with you some time.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I was a SkyVenture employee for the short time I lived in Orlando over the summer/fall, and I appreciate the opprotunity that was given to me to work there and have that wonderful experience to cherish for the rest of my life. What made it so wonderful? The staff is AMAZING. I made great friends there and I miss the crap out of those guys everyday since I moved out of state. The same goes for the coaches....all great people. The tunnel staff is top notch. I can vouch that those guys break their balls for that place, and they do it because they love flying and teaching people to fly. All of these local jumpers talking about not getting what they need from these guys-- I don't get it. I'm not going to say it has never happened, maybe on one or two very rare occasions when a jumper comes in with a lot of tunnel time and advanced skills (whic I'm sure has happened at every tunnel), but most jumpers come in to get coaching for something like headdown (as mentioned in a previous post), when they have absolutely NO BUSINESS being head down, let alone in a sit or off their belly because they are bouncing around like a pinball. But yet, the blame goes on the staff that they couldn't be coached head down in 10 mins of tunnel time when in reality it rests on the flyer.

That tunnel is seriously a labor of love. The managers, counter girls, coaches, instructors-- they all work their balls off. There has been some unfortunate occurances with parts here or there breaking down. This tunnel is the oldest SkyVenture out there guys and unfortunately some pieces have run it's life and Marc is fixing them as well as he can in the best timely fashion he can manage due to the circumstances at the time. (some occurences are just plain bad luck-- IE: lightning strike that tweeked a motor.) The employees worked hard to get that air straightener in and Marc worked hard and took the time to make sure he had the best and safest replacement piece he could find. I saw all the research he did to make it possible-- he def. took the time to make sure he was getting a good/safe product and local flyers (and flyers all over) should be glad their flying in something that the time was taken to make sure it was the safest for them, the customer/flyer.

The tunnel has it's problems; all businesses do, but they have had a lot to overcome in the past 8 months, and these guys have stepped up to the plate everytime to help get on a steady path again. They always mean the best, Marc included. He is a business man; thinks and acts like a businessman, yes, but he also has the heart of a flier, as he got into this business to fly and share that love with other people.

The staff overthere has an open mind and a big heart, so if you have any concerns regarding the tunnel, give them a call or stop on by.

For you guys at SVO-- love and miss you guys everyday!!!!!! :)

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Kayla and Justin visited Orlando recently and they had a great time. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. I guess everyone has different experiences but our experience at SkyVenture Orlando was very positive and Team Future will be back to fly there again next time we visit. Thanks to everyone there!

Its all good Ray, i am now working at paraclete with the best staff in the world, and the best tunnel in the world. Also i would like to say i am happy with Marc's misfortune with orlando, karma sucks;) i just feel bad for the poor staff there. However anyone wanting to fly in the best with the best we are only 8 hours from orlando. Pretty funny how all this drama started with beer pong, that reminds me beer pong tonight at the house!

Just had my first tunnel experience this weekend at SVO. I can't speak to the politics or even the instructors as I am very green. I will say that being in a VWT has gotten me hooked. I wanted to get time in before the thaw sets in up here in Chicago. So, I don't look like a complete idiot when I start AFF. Now I'm looking for a coach for tunnel time. I can travel just about anywhere because I work for an Airline and just non-rev out when I want. It seems like a lot of kool people in XP anyone want to let me in on where that is and a good coach to contact.

Spooky
(Will)

Also,

Does anyone know of any Tunnel's in the BWI/DCA area? I'm flying in for the weekend and wouldn't mind getting some more tunnel time if there was one close. I know that being in Chicago there is really not one anywhere close in the Midwest.

Spooky

Closest tunnel to the MD/DC/VA area is Paraclete XP down in North Carolina.

I work at SVO. The Flying going on is the best yet. I challenge everyone who talk to much to come down here and try to keep up. We have kids 5 months into the sport carving circles on their heads. No more trash talk. Mark is a good person...if he doesn't like you it means your not.

Double yawn! That was an ignorant statement to say that the flying there now is the best its been! Some of the best flyers in the world started there! Some of the most known names in this sport came through orlando! But not anymore, probably because Mark is such a nice person! haha Not taking anything away form the flyers there but there is a lot more to this sport than carving in circles! And besides if they work there and are new instructors shouldnt they be more worried about their instructhing and their students and their training? lets face it. Orlando was the place where you could go and see familiar staff and know that no matter what you were 100 percent safe flyiing there! Now the only thing the staff can say is that we can carve! Its a very sad state of affairs in Orlando! what makes it worse is that there are still some great ppl there wanting it to be the way it was in the good ole days!