frost

How much tunnel time do you have?

Bodyflight staff pay increases with "tunnel time" (as part of our contracts), at 500 hour, 1000 hour, 1500 hour, 2000 hour etc etc intervals.

Getting those hours (or more importantly logging them) is the hard part - how do you define the tunnel time? Flying with flyers? Coaching? Spotting? Walking on the net? Standing in the door? How would you possibly log that for any member of staff...

We simply take the hours an instructor works, and divide it by 4 which gives a very rough "tunnel time" calculation (we tend to do 30 minutes in the tunnel, 30 out, 30 driving, 30 out, so this works out at a quarter of the day spent actually in the tunnel with a helmet on...)

Over and above that is personal flying of course.

I've no idea how much time I've got - including the spotting and based on the "calculation" above, I've got just shy of 1000 hours of tunnel time, but that's a BS figure really, as a great deal of it is spotting, and not flying.

I do know I've bought and paid for 4 hours in Orlando, 20+ in AirKix plus what i've done at Bodyflight for fun on staff nights. It all adds up :)

about 5 I think... i really havent been counting but could probably add it up close from my CC bills (not counting shared/bartered time though)

never enough would be the best answer.. I need to spend some dedicated coaching time getting my sitfly transitions locked in and work my way to HD... particularly since i'm not jumping as much as i'd like..

Thats a very good point. This poll is probably more oriented towards the fun flyers, rather then tunnel coaches/staff.
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

7 hrs

Still not used to the angry tourist mothers freaking out about me flying longer than their kid.. it's always fun trying to explain things to angry people that can't hear you..

Does previous tunnel time shorten the training time for becoming an instructor?

If you walk, just walk. If you sit, just sit. But whatever you do, don't wobble.
- Master Ummon