MomDaBomb

Muscle soreness after tunnel

You'll build up endurance in no time! I'm NOT entitled to claim that I'm in good shape, but most days I can do 15 minutes in the tunnel without getting sore. There are exceptions, like the kind of soreness in the back that you're describing, which I usually experience after getting away from belly flying and then coming back to it again. I don't know that it's building muscle, but you learn not to resist the air so much. (Granted, it's different for the instructors who are in there making spots all day. They're in GREAT shape!) You'll adjust in no time!
TPM Sister #102

(Granted, it's different for the instructors who are in there making spots all day. They're in GREAT shape!) You'll adjust in no time!

LOL LOL .... trust me not all instructors are in great shape.

You get what i call tunnel fit after a while, you're body just gets used to it, i have seen very "unfit" guys and girls do hrs in the chamber with little difference in there flying.

Oh and on the instructor thing.... I dont know many instructors that Dont wake up in the morning with aches and pains all over...i guess all the flying does have some price to pay......and thats getting beaten up all day by students

LOL but its worth it...

Hmmm, must be different at your tunnel. All of ours are athletic, completely toned, and very strong. :) (I *have* to say that--they know what *I* look like in a jumpsuit!! ;))

I think the instructor aches and pains are a little bit different than mine. They're getting slammed into the walls a lot more, whether it's from customers or just ongoing training. Seriously, though, tunnel fitness is definitely different than other kinds of fitness. However, I wouldn't mind some more of that tunnel fitness if it resulted in some of the toning our instructors have. I mean, okay, I'd rather look like Steph than some of the men, but you get the gist of it. . . .

TPM Sister #102

erm no i dont get the gist...i am asuming steph is a girl then... if not sorry steph...
I am sure our tunnel is no different, but tunnel egos can be a dangerous thing...best not stroke them too much... LOL especially the new skydiving young ones...

I know all instructors that have a sense of humor will understand exactly what i mean...

lol lol gota go drink more wine now.... night night yall.... xxx

I'd rather look like Steph than some of the men, but you get the gist of it. . .

I resemble that statement.... be nice to me

did you see the picture of steph on her back that I posted when she was working with my Son and Daughter?? look back at the posts (nice and fit..unlike me)...steph, please dont be mad

edit adds pic

I'm feeling that a little bit after putting 30 minutes in the tunnel, in and out every two minutes.

Part way through the tunnel a strip up my arm went numb and part of my thumb. It's been like 4 days and my thumb is still a little numb in the same spot. Odd.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

erm no i dont get the gist...i am asuming steph is a girl then... if not sorry steph...
I am sure our tunnel is no different, but tunnel egos can be a dangerous thing...best not stroke them too much... LOL especially the new skydiving young ones...

I know all instructors that have a sense of humor will understand exactly what i mean...

lol lol gota go drink more wine now.... night night yall.... xxx

Relax! They all know me well and I very seriously doubt that I'm going to launch them into self-important, ego-inflated tunnel gods. :D If that happens, it's definitely not going to be because *I* said anything. Besides, I'd rather over-inflate someone's ego a bit than take them down a notch, and I'm too old for the young 'uns to be impressed that I said anything, anyway. In fact, it might just creep them out a bit! :)
TPM Sister #102

LOL

Yes, Steph is a hottie . . . you can see where I'm coming from! Oh, and she does yoga. :)

I'm too much for some of the younger guys around there. There's just being too old, and then there's how much they can handle. :D (HEY--QUIT IT!!!!! I CAN HEAR THE SNICKERING FROM HERE, OKAY?!)

Edited to add: So, where I was really going with the yoga comment was that stretching does seem to help. You might try a few light stretches before you get in. In any event, it wouldn't hurt! :)

TPM Sister #102

Part way through the tunnel a strip up my arm went numb and part of my thumb. It's been like 4 days and my thumb is still a little numb in the same spot. Odd.

Ok on a serious note which is unusual for this forum...lol...

I have had my entire arm go completely numb, was back in perris october 06 when i was doing my instructor training...was down to belly flying topped out winds and a few other things chucked in.
This has also happened more recently (2 weeks ago)in Bedford. A student new to tunnel flying a getting back into skydivning, his arm went completly dead, was all floppy and non reactive to anything, very strange to see and im sure he wasnt to excited about it either...

Long story short mine was fine within a few hr's His we believe was a similar incident, i have been told this can be down to a trapped nerve in the shoulder, it just happens with some body positions we get in while belly flying (if youre very spread wide with yr arms allmost cross like)
So while i say not to worry to much about it, i am no doctor......if it concerns you, get yrself along to a profesional which was exactly the same advice we gave him....Since then i have heard of it happening a few times in various tunnels..and peoples best advice is to make sure you stretch well before going flying...

hope this helps a little.... god without feeling in my thumbs how would i play on my X Box......Nightmare thats doesnt bare thinking about.......LOL...

on a good note it has never happened to me since....

I'm too much for some of the younger guys around there. There's just being too old, and then there's how much they can handle.

:)

Hey women hit their prime later anyway so i know which age group i look for.....LOL

Have you seen similar problems with sit flying? I didn't have muscle soreness, but I have had my arm ache after flying at higher wind speeds. As I said, it's not muscular--or, at least it doesn't FEEL muscular. I could see it being a pinched nerve kind of thing or something similar, but I've never had it belly flying.
TPM Sister #102

Thanks for that post. I had a similar situation from flying on my belly, the numbness went away after 30 minutes or so, but the shoulder on that side was really sore for a week and a half. Definitely planning on stretching before my next time in there.

I've read quite a few different comments about instructors with big egos and sky/tunnel gods. To be honest, I kind of expected it to be like that. I was wrong. My experience has been the complete opposite. Everyone has been so friendly, supportive, and encouraging, especially my tandem, AFF and tunnel instructors. I'm a very shy person so it usually takes me awhile to open up but this group has made it so easy.

I've read quite a few different comments about instructors with big egos and sky/tunnel gods. To be honest, I kind of expected it to be like that. I was wrong. My experience has been the complete opposite. Everyone has been so friendly, supportive, and encouraging, especially my tandem, AFF and tunnel instructors. I'm a very shy person so it usually takes me awhile to open up but this group has made it so easy.

You can find some real egos if you look for them, but on the whole, everyone I've encountered seems to be great to work with and learn from. I hope you have a lot more of the positives than the negatives! Just as with anything else, a lot of it is what you make of it. :)
TPM Sister #102

I probably didn't stretch enough. I'm not sure though, because a few days after the first time in the tunnel I raised an arm up, felt a pain that wasn't there before and now it feels like a tendon or something in my shoulder is messed up. It's been like that for about a week or two. So I don't know if that is related or not. I flew in the tunnel with it like that. It only hurts when I raise the arm to a certain position. Not very painful, just mostly annoying. I was worried that I would have a hard time with the toggles when I jumped afterwards, but I didn't even notice the pain then.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

It only hurts when I raise the arm to a certain position..

My advice in a non doctor way would be DONT DO THAT>>>:)

on a serious note i went to the doctor the other day and said hey it hurts when i touch myself on the shoulder, it hurts when i press on my arm, my leg and my hip.....whats wrong with me

he said yeah you have a broken Finger.......