psipike02

Kids flying in the tunnel...

Me being a huge advocate of getting kids learning in the tunnel as early as possible, I thought I would share a video of Justin and Kayla Tinucci.

You can definitely tell that they love the sport and it's always fun to have them around the tunnel, as they benefit and we (the staff) do as well.

If you ever get a chance to meet/fly with them, take it, these kids are great to have around. :)
These two are definitely the best out of all the kids we have, but most of our kids are doing or learning the same stuff that they are doing in kid's league!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=F6Ep-zjj8sg
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

We're coming out in March. Along with my daughter who'll get some more time. I'll be calling ahead to see if the kid's club is on that period so we can come by and watch. After talking to the tunnel, the wife is going to build the daughter her own jumpsuit this year for this trip.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

my 8 year old has more time in the tunnel than I do. Every time we go he say "daddy can I go again", I cant tell him no,so he ends up using his time and mine. He rocks in the tunnel and I love watching him smile as he flys around in there. I dont know if he'll ever skydive, that will totally be his choice but Ill take him to the tunnel anytime he wants to go.

my 8 year old has more time in the tunnel than I do. Every time we go he say "daddy can I go again", I cant tell him no,so he ends up using his time and mine. He rocks in the tunnel and I love watching him smile as he flys around in there. I dont know if he'll ever skydive, that will totally be his choice but Ill take him to the tunnel anytime he wants to go.

Gah. These lucky kids! :P

I have a son on the way in May. Muahahahaha. *Cultivates evil plans to turn his son into a skydiver and tunnel flyer*
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Gah. These lucky kids!

I have a son on the way in May. Muahahahaha. *Cultivates evil plans to turn his son into a skydiver and tunnel flyer*

Check out Ellie, age 13 and already doing an 18+ 4-way tunnel average at her first meet - this was in the PRO class, right behind Fury and Airspeed...(Try to disregard the old gits clearly slowing her down in there...)

http://www.skyleague.com/pages/news/showArticles.php?story=903

It is amazing how fast kids can progress without some of the learning hang-ups (and bad habits / stiff backs!) adults usually have. They make it look easy :S

Check out Ellie, age 13 and already doing an 18+ 4-way tunnel average at her first meet - this was in the PRO class, right behind Fury and Airspeed...(Try to disregard the old gits clearly slowing her down in there...)

And we actually thought we were cool in high school because of the clothes we wore or because we played boring sports like football or tennis.

I've often wished I was a skydiver in high school. No one would have had nothing on me.

:D
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

http://www.skyleague.com/pages/news/showArticles.php?story=903

It is amazing how fast kids can progress without some of the learning hang-ups (and bad habits / stiff backs!) adults usually have. They make it look easy :S

Watch out Eliana Rodriguez!
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

I saw these 2 kids fly this past weekend at Skyventure Colorado and words cannot describe the skill and precision they have. The only adjective I can use to describe it was amazing. The tunnel rats were saying that Justin and Kayla were better flyers than they were!

Rock on guys!

I think thats a totally subjective question really, I don't know and am not qualified to answer. However I'll bite and guess that if a jumper did the bare essential skydives and progressed immediately to freeflying with an experienced coach or two they could achieve bodyflight skills(in the sky) in 3 or 4 thousand jumps. Again not that my opinion matters at all but you asked so I figured I'd play along...B|

Someday Never Comes

they could achieve bodyflight skills(in the sky) in 3 or 4 thousand jumps.

Then why would did you say:

One comment in the article that really bothered me though was the Mom saying her kids had the equivelent of thousands of skydives and flew as good or better than instructors.

It's true. You said it yourself.

Derek

I am sorry that the comment bothered you... We constantly get asked the question "How many skydives would it take to acheive the skills the kids have?" and my answer is based on feedback we have recieved from many professionals we have met in the industry rather than my own opinion.

I have said it before and I will say it again--- we completely understand that the "freefall" portion of the skydive is not inclusive of the entire skydiving experience. We know there are many other skills to learn. You have to remember that when someone is quoted in the newspaper, much of what they have *also* said is left out of the article-- I always make sure I explain to reporters that the kids are skilled in the freefall area but that doesn't mean they know everything else they need to know about skydiving-- such as canopy control etc etc-- but that doesn't always get printed in the finished piece.

I don't think that Derek is off base at all with his comments. He is a fantastic, person and an excellent coach and instructor and his professional opinion is objective. I don't think that it is fair to say he is not being objective when many professionals who come to the tunnel have said exactly the same thing he is saying about their skill level (to us personally).

LOL I know loads and loads of experienced jumpers with thousands of jumps that are complete passengers under canopy,and with no awarness of anybody around them...They fly there bodies well enough in the sky though...
.everybody learns differently and at different speeds, some dont like aspects of the sport so choose not to learn that part better(although they know they should) If these young guys and girls learn this fast then there is no reason why they wont do exactly the same in parachuting when it comes to it, i also know they will have enough very experienced skydivers around them to give good quality advice and keep them safe...

Looking forward to seeing them fly at Bedford in March, hopefully we can get loads of us all flying in there together...

You should bring the kids up to the DZ sometime so they can see and learn about the second half of the skydive. I know a few real good guys who started packing parachutes when they were 14 years old and because they started early, are world class...

Derek (Hooknswoop) might vouch for me that I am one of the "good guys" (ok, probably not, especially when I play devils advocate online).... However, he has my contact info and I can give you and the kids a bit of a tour of the DZ... Heck, if they want to be bored stiff, they could sit in on one of the first jump courses to start learning about parachutes and stuff, so the picture is completed....