alw

Tunnel in Kansas City???

Got a note from my wife who was visitng in KC that there was a piece on TV about a new tunnel project in KC. Any info?

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

From http://new.yachtchartersmagazine.com/read/462281.htm

KANSAS CITY, Kan., Nov. 15 /PRNewswire/ -- The Schlitterbahn Vacation Village, located in Kansas City, Wyandotte County, Kansas, announces SkyVenture as the latest new attraction to be a part of the $750 million year-round, trend-setting, retail and entertainment destination. This new family-friendly experience takes flight in the summer of 2009.

Located in the heart of the indoor Riverwalk area of the Vacation Village, SkyVenture encapsulates the sprit of skydiving with a state-of-the-art controlled flying experience. Completely enclosed in an enormous clear cylinder, guests soar on wall-to-wall airflow created by multiple overhead fans providing the safest and most realistic freefall simulation imaginable.

"This exhilarating new attraction is a perfect complement to the already impressive line-up of trend-setting entertainment experiences at the Schlitterbahn Vacation Village," explained David Beardsley, chief executive officer for Schlitterbahn Resorts Worldwide. "I'm confident that SkyVenture will be the most sought-after, fun, thrilling experience of its kind in the Midwest."

The first elements of the Vacation Village are scheduled to open in the summer of 2009 and will include the SkyVenture, first phase of the Water Resort, several lodging components, shops and restaurants to be developed along the project's themed Riverwalk.

Other parts of the Schlitterbahn Vacation Village will continue to be completed through the summer of 2011.

The Schlitterbahn Vacation Village is a $750 million year-round, trend-setting, retail entertainment destination comprised of multiple shopping, dining, lodging and entertainment venues connected by a Transportainment(R) River System. In the Vacation Village, manmade rivers carry guests between lodging units and a world-class Water Resort along with a covered Riverwalk including shops and restaurants.

The Kansas project is the first expansion outside of Texas for the popular Schlitterbahn group of waterparks. Widely recognized as the leader of waterpark innovation and as the first family of American waterparks, Schlitterbahn currently operates three Texas waterparks -- Schlitterbahn Beach Waterpark, South Padre Island, Schlitterbahn Galveston Island Waterpark, Galveston Island and the award-winning flagship waterpark Schlitterbahn Waterpark Resort, New Braunfels.

The 370-acre vacation village is expected to entertain millions of guests per year and will create several thousand jobs, providing an economic boost to the region.

Schlitterbahn Background

Family-owned and operated, Schlitterbahn Waterparks has been a leader in family water entertainment since 1979. The company operates three parks in Texas, all of which offer family amenities that include free parking and free inner tubes. Guests are also welcome to bring a family picnic basket, excluding alcohol and glass containers, into the parks.

Schlitterbahn Beach Waterpark, South Padre Island

The 26-acre park opened in 2001 and features more than a dozen family attractions including the state-of-the-art Transportainment(R) river system. Schlitterbahn Beach Waterpark has received the industry's top awards for design innovation.

Schlitterbahn Galveston Island Waterpark, Galveston Island

The world's first convertible, climate-controlled indoor / outdoor waterpark features more than 30 family attractions including three interconnected rivers, two uphill water coasters and an entirely new area featuring seven new attractions for 2007.

Schlitterbahn Waterpark Resort, New Braunfels

The 65-acre park features more than 40 family attractions, miles of tubing adventures and 238 overnight accommodations. Schlitterbahn Waterpark Resort is the most popular summertime waterpark in the United States and has been rated America's number one waterpark by the Travel Channel. It has been the top-attended seasonal waterpark in the United States since 1995, according to Amusement Business rankings.

For more information, contact Schlitterbahn Waterparks' corporate office in New Braunfels, Texas at 830.625.2351 or visit the parks' website at schlitterbahn.com.

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Don't hold your breath. I have seen numerous press releases over the past couple of years announcing one or another group of investors' "plans" to open a wind tunnel at various locations throughout North America - usually with a target date of roughly 2 years off. Then that's the last you hear of it. It's become a recognizable pattern.

A couple get opened; most don't. I'll believe it when ground is broken, concrete is poured and the worker bees stay on site.

I have seen correspondence from the VP of operations at Skyventure; the KC tunnel will happen. But you may be right about the time frame, he says it will be more than one year away.

I'm not going to hold my breath either, but I am going to get my hopes up.;)

T.I.N.S.

I have seen correspondence from the VP of operations at Skyventure; the KC tunnel will happen.

I've no doubt he said it. Doesn't make it any more, or any less, likely to happen. It's marketing to investors, not a bona fide prediction that can be relied upon. Appreciate it for what it is, not for what you wish it to be.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Kansas City Tunnel? It shows up on the website now with a model number.

http://www.skyventure.com/about/default.aspx

Toward the bottom it is listed in the coming soon section:

Coming soon:

SkyVenture Montreal: Model 14 R4 www.skyventuremontreal.com

iFLY Singapore - Model 16R4 www.iflysingapore.com

SkyVenture Kansas City - Model 14R4

Just wondering what others thoughts on the matter.

Jimmy

One of the jumpers at MRVS told me his dad is part of the management team (if I remember correctly) that is actually in the process of pouring the foundation. The process has already begun. I was told they had intentions of finishing it this year, but it may not actually open up until early 2010.

Good lord - it's difficult enough to afford skydiving. I don't know how I'm going to afford to become a tunnel rat!!

(See you in 2 weeks!! PAC!!!!!!)
T.I.N.S.

Thanks for the update. Skyventure had listed it as a 14R4, which is one o f the wider versions. Moving to Kansas City in January and was hoping to have a tunnel within walking distance! I guess we will need to drive to Colorado on the long weekends!
Bryan Cavage, D-19100
AFF I, Tandem I, Vidiot
http://www.dropzonesolutions.com
-Social Media Consultant and Skydiving Gear Guru

Word around here is Negative. Economy has put this project off for now.. I have been told this is more of a tourist type design with the tunnel being located inside the water park so access will not be so easy for say the locals that want to use it...

Hmmmmm, I hope that news isn't true. Arn't they building it down by the Racetrack and the Great Wolf lodge? that whole area has become a high dollar touristy place ~ Good sushi resturants, losta family fun stuff, I would imagine it would fit right in.

It would be nice ~ we could send our Students out there about the time they get ready for Freefall, and it would greatly speed up their progression...
=========Shaun ==========

Yeah this facility if and when built will be located inside the Schlitterbahn waterpark. I spoke with a person there yesterday and they confirmed its on the list however the project is on hold and may be years out!! 8 hrs west is our best option for now KC!

Latest I have (from an engineering employee that works on this project) - confirms this. On hold, on hold, on hold. (To the point I get the vibe = cancel, but that's not confirmable)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants