fliguy

becomming a tunnel instructor?

Hi there,My name is Dave and im new to this site.
I am also new to the world of skydiving and tunnel flying.
I wonder if anyone can help me....Im wanting to become a indoor skydive instructor.I have flown a few times at skyventure new hampshire and I have a friend who flies there alot.i know some of the instructors there but not that well.I am aware that an instructor called brian wilson is qualified to train instructors.How do I get to become an indoor skydive instructor and are there other people like brian who are also qualified to teach people like me?

How do I get to become an indoor skydive instructor and are there other people like brian who are also qualified to teach people like me?

There is lot of people in the US who could teach new tunnel instructors.

The training programm lasts 24 days and costs lot of money for a single person. Appr. 10-15K USD pro person depends on place (tunnel), class size, etc.

Take a look to this table on IBA's website to calculate for yourself.

Don't know if you asked about it while you were out here at SV New Hampshire, but the next time you come around we would be glad to give you any info that you need. This is Brian Wilson from SV New Hampshire here and though you might have seen me as well as some of the other senior instructors here doing basic training with some of our new instructor candidates, none of us are or claim to be IBA examiners. What we basically do is introduce our new people to movement in the tunnel and a basic set of flier control and spotting skills. When we feel that our candidates have a good grasp of the basics we usually bring in someone like Joe Winters (one of the godfathers if not THE GODFATHER of the tunnel world) to iron out their skills, introduce advanced spots, and help us decide if they are ready to be granted the full instructor title and responsibilities.

That is how we usually handle the preparation and final sign off of new instructors here in New Hampshire. As other posters replied to your post, some tunnels are directly affiliated with the IBA and do things in direct accordance with their specific program and guidelines, as well as expecting instructors to either pay directly for their ratings which will run into the thousands of dollars, or to commit to somewhere around 2 years of work at the tunnel of their training to make up for the tunnel's initial investment in the instructor's training. Each tunnel does their own thing so you would have to check with each individual place to see how things are done. As I already explained here, at SV New Hampshire we are not directly affiliated with the IBA and thus do portions of our training in house, but all of our instructors have IBA ratings of various levels, so we are kind of a mixed bag.

A tunnel instructor job is not without it's trials, it is some of the most physical work you will ever do, but it is very entertaining and rewarding so I encourage you to follow it wherever you might decide to do so. Next time you come around we'd be glad to share any info that you might need.

Blue skies,
Brian Wilson

this portion of training is called 'pre-training", every tunnel does this except new tunnels. teaching the instructors to fly and walk. It is okay to be an IBA regulated tunnel Brian, means, you are not tryin to re-invent the wheel.

an John Suiter is the "GodFather" of the tunnel!!! For sure!!!

Thanks all for the info.I really didnt expect so much help!
I have a better knowledge of how the whole system works now as Ive been to the iba website and its fairly self explanetory...exept for some of the terms used.I have received some helpful information from some instructors from all over via private email...thank you all very much.
I understand how physical it is as Ive seen brian and another instructor falling from the middle of the tunnel and bouncing off the walls while the new training instructors have to catch them.It looks really physical but its something i want to do.
thank you everyone.Im hooked and ill be back!!!

The cost of the course can be half that, it all depends where the trainers go, how many people are in the course(Flights, Hotel, tunnel time), there is a lot that effects the co$t(USD is not that strong right now).
Most importantly, it is not the place to "cut cost", because this effects the customers safety, learning and experience. :S

The "dark side" is still very well "Unknown", but show itself it will.[:/]

odd to hear a reference to CrW in a tunnel forum

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Not in an age way, in a wisdom and teaching way. Plus, your flying skill would shame Yoda when he's jumping and flipping around with a light sabre :D:P

Seriously, Joe is the best teacher / instructor / coach I've worked with. I can't wait to make it up to Raeford and see everyone. :)

Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com