cslrobert

Wind Tunnel Suggestions. To test Shoulder

I injured my left shoulder a couple years ago and needs surgery. On my AFF5 it fully dislocated (imagine that canopy ride). Anyway, I’m getting the surgery and after I’m all healed up I would like to test the shoulder in a wind tunnel first. I need an unbiased suggestion for a wind tunnel to go to. I live in New Orleans and plan to skydive again, so I’m looking for a tunnel that has even air that would best simulate freefall so I may brush up the skills and continue my IIT class (Idiot In Training). As long as the tunnel is in the US I’ll fly to it location is not real important. What’s important to me is even air, coaching, and video of session.

Thanks for the help,
Bobby

Just remember that the tunnel is a controlled envionment. I used it many times when I have had injuries. Please don't underestimate opening and the stresses it puts on your body. Try and find some exercise that will be similar to be sure your body can handle the G's/Impact so that you can be in control. The tunnel will help you fly, but at the end of the day you have to land.

Depending on your surgery, the possibility of dislocating it again is very slight. I would concentrate more on your physical therapy and getting a full range of movement. Don't go into a tunnel or jump until your doctor has given you the ok! For me this was 6mo, but I had the more extensive, open surgery. If you go with a micro surgery this time may be reduced, however I have had great results with my rehabilitation and would certainly recommend the more comprehensive surgery if you have the option. Good luck after surgery!
P.S. DO YOUR PT EXERCISES!

The biggest problem we have ever had with injury's in our tunnel is with dislocations, it seems to be the one injury that does reoccurr so please be careful before you go and fly in any tunnel.
you will sign a waiver before being able to fly, this is normally where people are not so forthcoming with the truth about previous injuries, my advice is talk to the tunnel staff, tell them all about it, it will allow the tunnel instructor to keep a real careful eye on you and whisk you out the door at the first sign of an incident.

As far as i am aware we have not stopped anybody flying that has suffered a dislocated shoulder and any body that has told us has never had a repeat dislocation, its always the ones who dont tell you that shoulders pop out on again.

As for skydiving my friend jumps with a left hand pull container because his right shoulder isnt flexible enough to reach around comfortably, this was after a bike accident, and i know of a few people who have had dislocations that jump with braces and some wierd sort of strapping that holds the shoulder in place.
i guess we do what ever we have to to throw ourselves out of that plane...

blue ones..........

Your story sounds a lot like my girlfriends'. She wanted to do some tunnel time before skydiving again after a shoulder dislocation and surgery so we went to Perris. I would think any of the skyventure/Ifly tunnels would work for you. We read on the waiver something about not allowing people with previous shoulder injuries/dislocations so we didn't tell anyone. She has adapted a unique flying style with her shoulders in close to her body that works for her. The instructor kept trying to correct her in the tunnel and pull on her shoulders and that didn't work out so well. She also limited herself to 1 minute sessions as her shoulder would get tired before 2 minutes were up. We probably should have called ahead and asked if it was okay and then told the instructor about it.

She did a few tunnel sessions and then got back in the air and her shoulder was finally feeling better in freefall until she broke her tib/fib in an unrelated bad flare/landing accident.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative