base428

VRSkydive.com's Portable Wind Tunnel at Bridge Day 2007

They're scheduled to come to Bridge Day 2007 and I'm wondering if anyone has been in this tunnel? Is it geared for non-jumpers or will experienced jumpers be happy with it? Should we attempt to dampen the noise via hay bales or other sound absorbing materials with a large crowd nearby? I'm asking these questions because my company organizes all BASE jumping at Bridge Day and we want to have a safe and enjoyable time in the tunnel.

Thanks.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

The tunnel is fun, TONS of fun but very turbulent. It's a tough one to fly but if you can fly it, you can fly anything.

It does a college tour so it is very much so geared to the non jumper. That doesn't mean that jumpers won't love it. I know I do (not that I jump anymore lol)!

Hay bales won't do jack for the noise I don't think. The thing is loud but not terrible- at Deland it was put over by the trailer park and you could not hear it from the packing hanger. I believe they have used semi trailers to block the noise before.

Your best bet is to call and talk to Patrick, the owner, and ask him these questions.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I've talked to Patrick recently and he's a nice guy. I just wanted to hear some other opinions. We're excited to have him at Bridge Day and the 450+ BASE jumpers and 150,000 spectators will definately take advantage of this tunnel.

Your best bet is to call and talk to Patrick, the owner, and ask him these questions.

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Hay bales are often used in this type of scenario, so its not a bad idea.
However, I'm not talkin about a few bales of hay here, I'm thinking double thick and taller than you.
It can help to focus a portion of the noise away from the main crowd by leaving the open end pointed away from the general crowd, while the rest billows up and above standing head height. PLUS it needs to be far enough away from the machine to not obstruct airflow to the prop.

It's still going to be loud.

Semi trucks have also been used because, well, because it's a heck of alot easier to pull in a couple of trailers than to stack & protect all that hay.

Have fun, that tunnel is by far the most "challenging" for experienced flyers, but is always going to be a blast of fun for spectators and first timers.

Is this absolutely confirmed that VR Skydiving Portable Tunnel will be at Bridge Day? Does anyone have any idea on cost/time available? Do we need to book some time now or will it be first come first serve? I am such a junkie that I am willing to make the 5+ hour drive to WV to fly this tunnel, but not unless I know that it is definitely going to be there as I don't plan to raft or jump. Thanks in advance.
jenn
Tunnel Junkie Since November 2005! ;o)~
TPM #46
Paraclete XP TPM Delegate