UPS

Kids Fall rate

There is a new skyventure opening close to my home(montreal), in a near future and I'm pretty exited by the idea to initiate my lil couzin to flying. He'll be having his 9th birthday in a couple of months and he told me he was disappointed that he will have to wait another 6-7 years before skydiving with me, but I told him he won't have to wait for that long!

So after seeing a couple of vids of kids flying in tunnels, I was wondering what are their freefall speeds. I can fly a little below 100 mph if it's needed on my belly, and can go around 160mph sitflying. He is lighter than me, probably almost a good hundred pounds, but his body surface is also smaller, so I thought that maybe this would all end up being proportional. Will I be able to fly with him?

Thanks!

Kids fall much slower. At 9 years old, unless you or he have lots of tunnel time and have a very large fallrate range, chances are you will not be able to fly together unassisted. If it is his first time in the tunnel, he will probably not be able to arch enough to stay down with you at higher wind speeds and you wouldn't want to put weights on him.

You'd have to talk to the tunnel instructor who will be in the chamber with you. If the instructor feels comfortable, then he could hold onto your cousin and turn the wind speed up to a point where you would be able to fly.

Good luck, have fun and post pictures! :)

Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Hopefully my fallrate range with be good enough, but I'm not that worried about it since I'm a lightweight jumper (145 lbs), naturally I fall slow.

I was actually thinking about a weight belt as a solution, in a same time it will be easier for him to arch. Why is it not recommandable?

And I wouldn't be in a hurry for picture if I were you since they only started building it. 14Feet 1400 HP,circle(no octogon), shittt cantt waitt!!!! :)
thx

At 5 ft 2 inches, and 95lbs our daughter flew at around 97 mph maximum. For her, an experienced flyer of many years, her COMFORT speed was more like 90 mph, but for a few minutes at a time, she could work really hard and streamline her body to fly at 97mph for us grown ups, but it was alot of work for her so we moved to a weight VEST with about 4 lbs evenly distributed. It allowed her to fly around 100mph with more comfort & ease, but still was NOT truly in her comfort zone, the added weight added more work obviously, so she could still only fly a few minutes at a time.. about 5 min at the most in a row.

I would never put the weights around her belly because it would cause her to over-arch and likely result in a hernia. It is better for her to learn to fly small AND arched, the vest allowed her to maintain her balance better.