low_pull1

Ex skydivers using tunnel?

This is a very interesting thread. The tunnel is actually what helped me become an ex skydiver. I loved the freefall, but never really mastered the canopy flight and did NOT like the plane ride. So, as soon as I discovered that I could get the part that I loved without any of the other nonsense, I was hooked and decided to quit skydiving and fly exclusively in tunnels. I hope that you enjoy the tunnel as much as I do.
jenn
Tunnel Junkie Since November 2005! ;o)~
TPM #46
Paraclete XP TPM Delegate

I haven't jumped in over 3 years, I'm thinking about starting again, but the tunnel is giving me the piece of skydiving I enjoy the most. Flying, moving my body doing specific moves, it reminds me of gymnastics which I loved but had to quit due to how hard it was on my joints.
Fly it like you stole it!

but the tunnel is giving me the piece of skydiving I enjoy the most.

I have about 30 hours in the tunnel... So, yes, I like tunnel flying. But to be honest, I prefer "outdoor skydiving".

Things you don't get in a tunnel:

* Sunset in the distance
* Night jumps
* Smells in the different inversion layers, even if it is unpleasant cow crap or forest fire smoke.
* The cold crisp air.
* The weather moving you around, interacting with the planet.
* The ocean/mountains/lakes (or replace with whatever earth brings your DZ) below.
* The canopy ride (and about 100 sub items under this list)
* The exit.
* Putting your hand and feet out the door on the way to altitude.
* Seeing the earth from above.
* Coordinating with the pilot a flight plan that allows you to flock with the aircraft in a wingsuit for a minute or two.
* Wingsuts.
* The freedom to try something new without hitting the glass
* Knowing you can go up on a solo and be alone. No master record tape, no tunnel instructors, no wuffos, watching you goof off.
* The ability to track.
* The ability to dive to a formation and close 100 yards of distance.
* The challenge of outfacing a formation and not having any other indicators in your peripheral vision to help you keep your slot.
* The ability to spend $100 and have a whole days entertainment (This will buy you about 5 rotations in a tunnel)
* Taking a student up and experiencing their excitement.

Now, I am not anti-tunnel, I fly there to learn, and I find it challenging... But I think if all the DZs closed I would quit skydiving and only visit the tunnel once or twice a year.

Why? For me the tunnel is a place to learn, so I can apply those skills in the sky. Without the sky, no reason to learn.:P

That reminds me... Time to book some tunnel time, so I can perfect my sit a bit more for the outdoor skydives this winter.:P

Hey Jenn. Long time no speak! When did you give up the skydiving? Is your man still jumping or did he give it up to? I'll get you guys out to Oregon one of these days.

See ya.

Baby number three is three months old, btw. Time just goes too fast. Sigh.

Things you don't get in a tunnel:

ive added my comments behind urs....

* Sunset in the distance .....(with a cold drink that was tucked into your jump suit..under canopy, last load of the day, open a bit high)

* The cold crisp air..... (and very dense air to go with this)

* The exit. .....(yes this is good!!!!!!! different aircrafs,,,different air)

* The ability to dive to a formation and close 100 yards of distance...... (almost nothing better than shutting down the speed, hearing the air....and stopping perfectly at the formation!!!!,,,going from full throttle to full brakes,,, 180-100mph??)

* The challenge of outfacing a formation and not having any other indicators in your peripheral vision to help you keep your slot. ......(yum....this was always my most challenging and desired!!! always dreamed of diving down....50 plus way then docking on a diamondlast in.....back in!!)

Why is there a tear in my eye as i write this?????

its all good...but the sky has left me.... only a memory away! Ill use the Tunnel to fill the void!

I haven't jumped in almost 2-3 years. I'm exclusively in the tunnel and love it! I enjoy flying my body for hours on end, you simply can't do that in the sky. I'll fly 90 minutes in one day and eat that shit up. It's pretty tough to make 90 skydives in one day however (unless you have lots of money for your jumps, packers, extra rigs, plane, pilot, and general help).

Things you can't get when skydiving...
-Unlimited Freefall.
-No packing parachutes.
-No weather holds.
-No waiting to get on a load or plane.
-Improve your freefall skills in 2+ minute intervals (if you can do it in the tunnel, you can do it in the air).
-Comparing minute to minute, tunnel time is about half the cost of a skydive.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

i cant imagine 90 mins,,,is that possible? i get worn out in 10 mins w/ 2.5 minites per interval.

I like to fly a lot. If you are in good tunnel shape it's totally do-able. I usually do it every year on my b-day.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Things you can't get when skydiving...
-Unlimited Freefall.
-No packing parachutes.
-No weather holds.
-No waiting to get on a load or plane.
-Improve your freefall skills in 2+ minute intervals (if you can do it in the tunnel, you can do it in the air).
-Comparing minute to minute, tunnel time is about half the cost of a skydive.

For me, the best thing is having a kick-ass coach standing right beside me and saying things like "move your left foot out three inches." Real-time training.

The best skydiving coaching I've had involves a very good skydiver jumping with me, waiting until we get back to the packing hanger, by then we've both forgotten 90% of what happened. If I'm lucky, I got video, so we can say "oh yeah, you shouldn't have done that."

I'm not a talented skydiver. There's only one reason why I was able to pass my AFFI evaluation jumps - tunnel + great tunnel instructors.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I would have to add things like 8 and 12 ways to the list. It is so awesome skydiving with other people, and the more the merrier. You can only fit so many people in a tunnel and turn points. I guess that's another "What skydiving can do for you that the tunnel can't do" item.

I would have to add things like 8 and 12 ways to the list. It is so awesome skydiving with other people, and the more the merrier. You can only fit so many people in a tunnel and turn points. I guess that's another "What skydiving can do for you that the tunnel can't do" item.

You are so correct, but...
As the group gets larger, one is turning/maneuvering, adjusting lesss frequently. (flying less)

Yes there are exceptions.

Some things can never be replaced by a tunnel, the exit, closing the vetical/horizontal seperation then "slamming" on the brakes to stop perfectly in ones slot. , getting a large group to fly vertically the same speed...

but the tunnel is giving me the piece of skydiving I enjoy the most.

Things you don't get in a tunnel: AMMENDED

* Sunset in the distance!! OK YOU CANT BEAT A GOOD SUNSET LOAD..
* Night jumps!! WE TURN THE LIGHTS OF IN THE TUNNEL. CAN DO NIGHT JUMPS ALL DAY IF WE WANTED
* Smells in the different inversion layers, even if it is unpleasant cow crap or forest fire smoke.HMM TUNNEL INSTRUCTOR CURRY FARTS IF YOU MUST...
* The cold crisp air. MOST TUNNELS RUN THROUGH THE NIGHT AND IT GETS DANM COLD I TELL YA..
* The weather moving you around, interacting with the planet. INTERACTING WITH THE PLANET?? ONLY IF YOU DONT PULL...;)
* The ocean/mountains/lakes (or replace with whatever earth brings your DZ) below. fFAIR ONE...
* The canopy ride (and about 100 sub items under this list) YEAH GRANTED LOVE MY VELOCITY
* The exit. AGAIN GIVE YOU THAT 1 I LOVE THE EXIT
* Putting your hand and feet out the door on the way to altitude.WELL JUST STAND IN THE DOOR ALL DAY YOU WILL SOON GET BORED OF THIS
* Seeing the earth from above.YOU ALREADY MENTIONED THIS 1 LOL...
* Coordinating with the pilot a flight plan that allows you to flock with the aircraft in a wingsuit for a minute or two.YOU REALLY BELIEVE THE PILOT DOES WHAT YOU TELL HIM...NOT A HOPE
* Wingsuts. ARE FOR THOSE WITH NO FRIENDS...AND LONERS
* The freedom to try something new without hitting the glass.. GET A GOOD COACH AND YOU WONT
* Knowing you can go up on a solo and be alone. No master record tape, no tunnel instructors, no wuffos, watching you goof off. AS I SAID LONER
* The ability to track. WE DO THIS IN OUR 16 FT TUNNEL ROUND THE TOP WALL
* The ability to dive to a formation and close 100 yards of distance. TRY FROM THE TOP NET WITH AN 8 WAY UNDER YOU (CHALLENGING TO SAY THE LEAST)
* The challenge of outfacing a formation and not having any other indicators in your peripheral vision to help you keep your slot. HAVING THE OTHER 7 PUSHING FORWARD AND YOU BENT IN HALF TRYING TO FLY YR BODY AND YR SLOT.. ITS COOL
* The ability to spend $100 and have a whole days entertainment (This will buy you about 5 rotations in a tunnel) CANT ARGUE THERE....LMAO...
* Taking a student up and experiencing their excitement. NO DIFFERENCE EXCEPT YOU TEND TO STILL BE FLYING WITH THEM WHEN THE LIGHT COMES ON AND SEE IT ALL OVER THERE FACE....SATISFYING

Now im not anti skydiving....lol
i love it and i love canopy flying more.

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS IN JEST DONT JUMP ALL OVER ME... HAVE FUN WHAT EVER YOU DO...

well i have been on a 17 way flat in our tunnel and our record is somewhere in the high 20's sit and knee flying...

!!!Dont believe me come and have a go!! organise some good stable tunnel flyers and stick them all in there...we will let you if you are safe enough...

GETTING INTO THIS POSTING STUFF I REALLY SHOULD GET BACK TO WORK

well i have been on a 17 way flat in our tunnel and our record is somewhere in the high 20's sit and knee flying...

!!!Dont believe me come and have a go!! organise some good stable tunnel flyers and stick them all in there...we will let you if you are safe enough...

GETTING INTO THIS POSTING STUFF I REALLY SHOULD GET BACK TO WORK

Where's the video? I'd love to see that!

Where's the video? I'd love to see that!

it was during the tunnel first birthday party...
not sure about video though... was enough people there must be somwhere...

guess that means skydiving rules....if its not on video it didnt happen...

lmfao.......

Ok LOL we got some staff Flying... ( erm . Cough cough.....) TRAINING..tonight
i will see how many i can get in there tonight on video. no promises as we get all levels turn up to fly tonight from the cleaners chief's and maintenence.
its really a fun night not a training night the owner gives us each week,
we all share the time equally and some of the above mentioned are really starting to fly nice too,
so my next post should be a link for the vid...... I hope...

soft fluffy landings...
Dave

This is a very interesting thread. The tunnel is actually what helped me become an ex skydiver. I loved the freefall, but never really mastered the canopy flight and did NOT like the plane ride. So, as soon as I discovered that I could get the part that I loved without any of the other nonsense, I was hooked and decided to quit skydiving and fly exclusively in tunnels. I hope that you enjoy the tunnel as much as I do.

indeed it is interesting..i started BASE 4-5 years ago, and since then i have only done 15-20 skydives a year...i believe in using a tunnel for improving freefall skills...even in BASE, from now on im gonna be a tunnelrat heheB|, then i guess it would be way more cooler to skydive than it`s right now..