mattmais

Texas Tunnel

I keep hearing about a tunnel being built in the future in the Austin area, but I haven't heard of any construction being done.

I don't think we will see a tunnel in Texas for at least a couple of years.

From the horse's mouth they say iFly Austin will be open by the end of the year.
I will believe it when I hear the fans turning.

After all this time, I think the most likely way for Texas to get a tunnel is for all Texas jumpers and DZOs to go in on lottery tickets, and when they hit the big one (:P) use the winnings to build a tunnel. Wendy P.

And this thread is almost 5 years old now, and still no sod busted. That right there speaks volumes.

http://www.skyventure.com/indoor-skydiving-comes-to-texas/

The new iFLY indoor skydiving facility will be located at “Austinville” North retail center located on Highway 183 just a few miles north of the Arboretum. iFLY will neighbor with other family-friendly local businesses such as Amy’s Ice Creams, Phil’s Ice House and Sweet Ritual Bakery. Along with being a great family activity, iFLY indoor skydiving is also perfectly suited for team-building, children’s birthday parties and aerobic exercise that mixes right into Austin’s culture.

--
Rob

Indoor skydiving center coming to Austin
Austin Business Journal by James Jeffrey, Staff Writer
Date: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 1:59pm CDT
View photo gallery (2 photos) Austin-based iFLY LLC will build the facility in North Austin’s Austinville retail center.

James Jeffrey
Staff Writer- Austin Business Journal
Email Austin is getting Texas’ first indoor skydiving facility scheduled to open in early 2013.

Austin-based iFLY LLC will build the 7,000-square-foot facility in North Austin’s Austinville retail center, on State Highway 183.

The building features a 14-foot-diameter vertical wind tunnel capable of generating wind speeds of up to 160 mph that are used for commercial entertainment, and for professional skydiver and military training. Indoor body flight mimics the experience of free fall skydiving without the parachute.

The Austin location will be the 24th skydiving facility built by iFLY, which has tunnels operating in nine countries.

The manufacturer of vertical wind tunnels was founded in 2006 by world champion skydiver Alan Metni, who serves as CEO.

“IFLY Austin will be the model for future franchise locations in the U.S., Canada and the U.K.,” said Chief Marketing Officer Stuart Wallock, adding that the company plans to open 50 new tunnels in the U.S. over the next five years.

“We will launch our new flight school programs, photo and video technologies and new operating software applications,” he said. “We also plan on holding world-class competitions for the growing sport of indoor skydiving.”

IFLY employs a total of 150 workers, 25 of those at the new Austin facility.