mattmais

Texas Tunnel

considering the cuts in phase I that were announced, that doesn't entirely surprise me. I even alluded to the possibility above.

If I see other articles or get notifications (living in a neighborhood down the road from the site, we get periodic updates) I'll pass along what I hear.
--
Rob

"25 Million people in Texas,. Most of the 25M located between Dallas, Austin, Houston......when will we see a wind tunnel? "

And one of the best economies in the country.

seems a bit of waiting/looking.... 14000 views of this post. mean anything???

Yep. That no one who reads this thread has the money / financial backing to open one.

Tunnels don't just happen: someone puts cash behind it.
Remster

The story I heard a number of years ago was that they were looking for investors. Decent-sized minimum outlay per investor (I think it was in the 1/2-1M range), with a capped profit potential (10-15%), and no cap on the potential loss.

Didn't sound like a good deal then, and it still wouldn't.

That was several rumored tunnels ago, though. I have no idea what has happened since then.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

There is a portable for sale in florida for $120 k ... needs engines upgraded and a couple of other things,... aprox another 100 K, and it would be an excellent tunnel... 135+ mph, very smooth, ... It does not take millions to have a tunnel. It's called the gemini 1, look for it on bodyflight network.

There was a pusher tunnel in Texas similar to that a few years ago. It was *OK* but overall it was fairly crappy. It was slightly better than nothing, until they blew the motor on it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

AggieDave, the Gemini 1 is a completely different design than the tunnel that was based in Houston. And for the record, mobile windtunnels are not made for skydivers, they are made for non-skydivers to play in and have fun. It bothers me when people say they suck when a skydiver is trying to compare a $200k mobile tunnel to a $5mil fixed tunnel. This is an excellent example of apples and oranges. I worked at the tunnel in Houston and I can honestly say I had a blast and brought more smiles to little kids faces. It was very rewarding.

I can honestly say I had a blast and brought more smiles to little kids faces. It was very rewarding.

I have no doubt. It still doesn't provide the jumper community with a trainable tunnel that can also bring smiles to little kid's faces.;)

Now if you could come up with a tunnel for canopy training, then you'd bring a big smile to this fat little kid's face!B|

Aggie Dave, you are so far beyond being trained you would not learn anything from any tunnel.
And to state a fact, the tunnel in Houston actually helped several skydivers not only pass thier AFF course but also helped a few become better and more informed flyers.
It seems you are one of the many brain washed people that think you cant learn anything unless you are flying in a skyventure tunnel.
I myself learned quite a bit about what the body has the capability to do in freefall from that little tunnel.

I can honestly say I had a blast and brought more smiles to little kids faces. It was very rewarding.

I have no doubt. It still doesn't provide the jumper community with a trainable tunnel that can also bring smiles to little kid's faces.;)

Now if you could come up with a tunnel for canopy training, then you'd bring a big smile to this fat little kid's face!B|

And to state a fact, the tunnel in Houston actually helped several skydivers not only pass thier AFF course but also helped a few become better and more informed flyers.

I guess you don't remember that I personally drove some of our troubled students to that tunnel for just that.

start brainstorming with skyventure, they are based in texas

Careful. Although the Austin TX address is used in much of their mailings, as an address,
they are HQ'd in Nassau, Bahamas. http://sv-int.com/contact/

This creates additional legal issues between investors and SkyVenture.

From a 'seriously researching' and 'unsigned non-disclosure statement' potential investment group.
I'm only providing, already, public information :).
Anyone can swim, only a few swim well.
Anyone can skydive, everyone can skydive well. Practice!

After all this time, I think the most likely way for Texas to get a tunnel is for all Texas jumpers and DZOs to go in on lottery tickets, and when they hit the big one (:P) use the winnings to build a tunnel.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)